Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Monster Fish Show  (Read 6071 times)

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
Monster Fish Show
« on: December 19, 2009, 05:11:06 PM »

For those on Shaw HD,  Channel 214 has a series on Monster Fish. At 8:00 PM tonight they cover the White Sturgeon in BC.

Interesting show.

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
Re: Monster Fish Show
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2009, 07:07:59 PM »

Too bad i dont get that.
Would be a good show to see.

BNF861

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2009, 07:09:25 PM »

thx for the heads up, i got it set on my pvr. have you watched the episode yet or just saw it was upcoming?

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2009, 07:45:45 PM »

I pvr'd it earlier and watched it.  Great show.  One part showed a Sturgeon Hatchery in Idaho.  The last part featured local guides fishing with the host of the show.  This show is more of a documentary but was very interesting.  The first part covered the plight of the Sturgeon in the upper Columbia near Castlegar.  Very informative.

BTW if you don't get HD, its also on channel 93 at the same time.

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2009, 07:51:22 PM »

I watched a bit of it earlier.

I didn't see the whole show but they talked about the population of a river in the Kootenays (Columbia?) after it was dammed and the problems it caused. It didn't look like white sturgeon (green) but they may have just comparing.

The show ended with a guided fishing trip on the Fraser where they talked about how healthy the population there was.

Trophy Fisher

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2009, 07:50:49 PM »

It's a great show, and it was interesting learning the history of the sturgeon
I didn't see the whole show but they talked about the population of a river in the Kootenays (Columbia?) after it was dammed and the problems it caused. It didn't look like white sturgeon (green) but they may have just comparing.

The show ended with a guided fishing trip on the Fraser where they talked about how healthy the population there was.

Your right the Columbia river sturgeon looked like a lake  sturgeon with the dark green back & sides.

vancook

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2009, 10:35:53 PM »

dang, hopefully they'll replay the episode again

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2009, 07:36:02 AM »

Good episode.
I have seen several episodes and this was the first one where the scientist was actually excited too catch a fish. After they landed the 7(?) footer you could see the adrenaline rush.
The guy tends to say "world record freshwater fish!" far too often for fish under 1000lbs. I'm not sure what measure he uses for world record.

Noel

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2009, 07:53:26 AM »

I watched the show. Quite interesting but at the same time distressing. They talked about the fact that there are NO juvenile Sturgeon, all old adult fish in the Columbia, above the dams. There are no sturgeon younger than the date when the dams were built. So the sturgeon are unable to spawn since they became landlocked from the ocean. When the present generation of sturgeon die of old age, thats it.

Not so in the Fraser however, since the river isn't dammed.

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2009, 02:31:54 PM »

I heard that too, yet the first fish they saw underwater looked to be 1-1.5m in length, which should put it under 20 years old and certainly not an adult.
My understanding is that the Columbia has been dammed a heck of a lot longer than that.
Sounds like a bit of TV science going on ::)

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2009, 03:41:47 PM »

The Columbia problem was associated with high water flows at the wrong time of the year.

I believe they were opening the dam (during spawning season) to control water levels and it caused a layer of silt to cover and suffocate the sturgeon eggs.

hohartmann

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2009, 06:14:55 PM »

i thought that sturgeon hatchery in idaho was amazing, it really shows what can happen if people actually decide to care

island boy

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2009, 08:14:55 PM »

any lake sturgies in cultas lake?
you kill it, you clean it.

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2009, 08:40:54 PM »

any lake sturgies in cultas lake?

I was looking through the 2005 News Archive and came across this. 
http://www.fishingwithrod.com/fishy_news/050503.html

hank4hire

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2009, 12:56:18 AM »

It's kind of interesting to watch a fishing show with a scientific and conservation point of view.  I watched the Sturgeon episode and more recently the episode with the giant Mongolian trout (forget the exact name of the species).  Have 2 more episodes taped, Giant Stingray and sawfish that i haven't got to yet

It seems like they replay the episodes quite often for those that still want to watch