Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: tragedy on the Cap  (Read 8271 times)

Stratocaster

• Old Timer

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
Re: tragedy on the Cap
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2009, 10:16:47 AM »

There should be some sort of monument to all the dead fishermen in the parking lot there, as a reminder what has happened so many times. Terrible news anyway.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

ejeffrey

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2009, 11:16:18 AM »

Well my wife just heard about this and is insisting that I get one of the those inflatable life jackets for the Cap. Probably not a bad idea. They're nice little units, but expensive from what I've heard.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2009, 12:31:13 PM »

It would appear from Global pictures that the tragedy occurred at the Cable Pool. Apparently two guys were fishing and one of them felled in. The other guy ran for help and when he returned it was too late. Even though the river is low, it is still dangerous. Please be careful out there.

jetboatjim

• Old Timer
  • catching poachers.
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2009, 04:14:54 PM »

I risked my life last year to save a guy that thought he could wade the cap......he was ok , but if me and my bud were not there?

sad about the fellow that fell in this morning, my heart goes out to the family.

water is water, be carful.

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2009, 04:28:08 PM »

Thats horrible. Does anyone know if he was wearing waders? whats the height of the cliff he was fishing off of?
The Bigger The Better!

speycaster

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2009, 04:59:23 PM »

Why would any one be standing 7 meters above the water?Odds of landing a fish from there is highly improbable,unless you have a net with a 9 meter handle. Plus why tempt Mr. Darwin, he is always looking to improve the gene pool.

jetboatjim

• Old Timer
  • catching poachers.
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2009, 06:03:18 PM »

I would assume he was standing on the rocks out, from the deck at the cable pool. that drop is about 25-30 feet. Seems to be a fairly popular spot, but when its wet its slick.

ion

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2009, 06:21:32 PM »

There is an article by Rodney, "Capilano Coho Techniques" , and he mentioned there the danger on Capilano.
What can you say more...

ion

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2009, 06:43:39 PM »

probably, before falling in water, he fell on his back and injured his back and/or his head;
that's something we should be always aware while fishing on any rocks;

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2009, 07:02:20 PM »

That's really sad. :(
Too bad there was no one around with enough skills and courage to jump in and rescue him when he fell.

Damn Cap.
I had a close call there eight years ago when almost the same thing happened to me, but not on that spot. I fell in a bit below the cable pool. Just as I was casting, I lost my footing and next thing I knew I was swimming!  :o
The water was much higher then than what it is now, and the bumpy drift downstream was all but pleasant. I managed to get out of the water by myself at the end of the bend. Scared, freezing but wiser for the experience.

After that episode, I sort of avoided the Cap although it is only a 20 minute drive from my place.

It is a serious river and should be treated as such. And as someone already stated above, those rocks are really slippery.

Be careful out there.

Preliator

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2009, 07:19:40 PM »

I remember asking about the river when I had planned to wade in it a while back and I was steadily warned with the dangers, especially when wet. This is really a shame to happen.

Has there ever been any talk of having some sort of floatation donut with a rop secured to the dock, or perhaps up around the picnic tables or anything? It seems like the very least that should be available there in the event this happens again. That's just off the top of my head, too, I'm sure with a little more thinking something better could be established for such a busy, and yet dangerous, place.

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2009, 08:13:48 PM »

I've been there when a helicopter was flown in to rescue a stranded fisherman caught out at keith road pool.  The Cap is a very dangerous place and one must use common sense when fishing it.  Methinks it might be time to extend the closure to include the cliff off the cable pool.  Just too many deaths and close calls.

tim3500

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2009, 08:20:12 PM »

My heart goes out to his family and love ones. lets remember lets be carefull out there

jetboatjim

• Old Timer
  • catching poachers.
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2009, 08:58:56 PM »

this will just push people further into the canyon, where it is quite a bit more dangerous. ......its not as easy to help someone when your down deep in the box canyon.