Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New Brighton park fishing  (Read 7621 times)

ziggypal

New Brighton park fishing
« on: September 11, 2013, 03:06:54 PM »

I'm just looking for some knowledge about the area?

Does anybody fish or crab around there? From what I hear, you are not supposed to eat the stuff caught there because its dirty, does anybody know why?

Can you fish for pinks from shore over there?

Thanks

KingOfEastVan

Re: New Brighton park fishing
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 04:36:40 PM »

Here ya go.

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/tidal-maree/a-s28-eng.html

You are asking about sub area 28-10.

- Harvesting of crab, shrimp and prawnsis closed between Lions Gate Bridge and the Second Narrows Bridge, all year.
- you can fish for pinks, 4 per day, shore fishing only.

I don't know about any shoreline access or where to fish along New Brighton. Good luck!
I am the King of East Van, and I approve of this message.

~IvAn~

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 09:46:15 PM »

That place has been fished out long time ago...

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2013, 10:08:55 PM »

Fished out of what?

I am born and raised there.

We caught dogfish, flounder, perch etc... all the time.  Don't think that has changed.

KingOfEastVan

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2013, 06:26:28 AM »

I checked google earth and there is a great big pier down on the water in New Brighton. Go for it, let us know how you do! Gotta check that out for myself too... My father in law worked down at the wheat pool there for decades, I will ask him if he has any fish stories to share. Not certain about fish, but I know the goose hunting is really good....

ziggypal

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2013, 09:17:38 AM »

Thanks for the info guys.

@kingofeastvan - hearing fishing stories from your uncle would be great. Maybe he knows why fishing and crabbing in that area is not the cleanest.

KingOfEastVan

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2013, 04:44:33 PM »

The shrimp/crab ban is in order to prevent interference with harbor traffic, according to the regs. The rockfish ban is because it is a preservation area, totally fished out years ago I would imagine. I have caught crab in the harbor before as a kid and I remember them being covered in oily muck and having black cancer spots underneath. Lots of flat fish with tumors as well. That harbor has been used and abused for decades, used as a toilet, dumping ground and lord knows what else. Catching a salmon passing through is one thing, but eating anything that actually lives there... probably full of mercury, PCBs and cancer causing badness from whatever is trapped in the mud on the bottom.

crab

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2013, 06:03:52 PM »

The inner Burrard Inlet is basically an "enclosed" harbour with little flushing from outer waters, and has oil refineries plus
 other industries along the shore.  Considering that, I would think the area is kind of polluted. Probably not a good idea
to eat anything that lives on the bottom, though surface fishes like perch might be ok. 

KingOfEastVan

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2013, 06:43:25 PM »

Had that conversation with my father in law who regaled me with stories of sea life visible from the wheat pool dock. There are very powerful spotlights on the grain loading dock which attract a lot of fish, including schools of salmon and large cod/flounder/halibut cruising the surface for bait fish. Crab and prawns as well, it's all there, and lots of it.... maybe I will see you out there sometime!
« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 06:45:39 PM by KingOfEastVan »