Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Squamish River - Good Friday  (Read 6721 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Squamish River - Good Friday
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2008, 11:50:37 AM »

That's why the fishing report section is only available to a priveleged few like you now. ;) FYI, around 300 registered members out of 2400 can enter this section right now. Fair amount, but better than infinite number of unregistered guests like before.

itosh

• I EAT llamas!
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2008, 04:54:05 PM »

Good talking to you the other day, Dave.  You seem to have found a few fish.

As much as I love this system, I have found it only really rewards those who put in the time.  During my first year exploring and fishing the river, skunkings were more common that days with fish.  In fact I was only happy to even get a "hit".  A typical day would easily see me walking several kilometers at a minimum and sometimes thru knee deep snow just trying to learn the river and its runs.  After one season, I would have a mental map of the runs at various points only to have that map become useless as the river changes after every freshet and fall rains.

Hopefully only those who are willing to put in the time and effort to learn the river will be the ones left fishing the river.  I would hope that stereotypically these would be the types that follow regulations and conserve the environment etc.  For the lazy types who only chase reports, I believe the river is too large and intimidating for them to have any real success and will give up easily and chase other reports.  As mentioned before, even if they have success at one run, chances are very good that that run won't exist after a substantial rain.

As for myself, last 2 trips have resulted in nothing, nada, zilch.  Only sore legs from walking in knee deep snow due to being out of shape!

Shane

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2008, 05:13:52 PM »

Good talking to you the other day, Dave.  You seem to have found a few fish.

As much as I love this system, I have found it only really rewards those who put in the time.  During my first year exploring and fishing the river, skunkings were more common that days with fish.  In fact I was only happy to even get a "hit".  A typical day would easily see me walking several kilometers at a minimum and sometimes thru knee deep snow just trying to learn the river and its runs.  After one season, I would have a mental map of the runs at various points only to have that map become useless as the river changes after every freshet and fall rains.

Hopefully only those who are willing to put in the time and effort to learn the river will be the ones left fishing the river.  I would hope that stereotypically these would be the types that follow regulations and conserve the environment etc.  For the lazy types who only chase reports, I believe the river is too large and intimidating for them to have any real success and will give up easily and chase other reports.  As mentioned before, even if they have success at one run, chances are very good that that run won't exist after a substantial rain.

As for myself, last 2 trips have resulted in nothing, nada, zilch.  Only sore legs from walking in knee deep snow due to being out of shape!

Shane

Truer words have never been said...and why it's so hard to see fishie pic's from up there with runs identified by the backgrounds...Hard system to fish for fish...great system to fish for the pure pleasure of being out there and the hope but not expectations of a reward...

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2008, 06:02:37 PM »

As much as I love this system, I have found it only really rewards those who put in the time.

Or go with someone who has put in the time. ;D

Fry count must be really low this spring up there judging by the low amount of spawning chum salmon last fall so it shouldn't be a surprise to anyone if they find the trout and char fishing slow this spring.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2008, 08:39:40 PM »

Or you fish it during the summer ::)
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Deb

« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2008, 07:10:29 AM »

Nice fish Dave, good pics too :)

cheers