Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: fishing coho at capilano , challenging  (Read 7432 times)

frozensalmon

fishing coho at capilano , challenging
« on: August 05, 2011, 11:57:12 PM »

water is crystal clear, CLEAR!  can literary see stack of big coho down there, even at the bottom, you see every move of those fish
and there are lots of small trouts, stealhead etc there too... they are very visable as well.

bait ban makes it harder to get these fish,  people keep saying dawn or super early in the morning is the best time, I guess I will give it a shot some other time.

and back to normal hours, i don't know if the clear water makes the fish see us or whatever , they don't eat, don't bite, being very smart, sneaky , spooky, well at least it looks like that..
they stay in relatively slow moving water, more like a big pool, (where cable pool is, near the salmon hatchy)

there were people who got a few by fly fishing, they certainly knows what fly to use... most of the people use float fishing with wool and spoon, spiner..doesn't work too well.

but they did bite wool. I guess they are very curious about diff stuff

anyway... it's challenging to get these fish at capilano  :-\

anyone?
more coho, more coho... ::)

grease line

Re: fishing coho at capilano , challenging
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2011, 12:13:05 AM »

Go to very thin line and small offerings and try to find fish that haven't been disturbed...then be ready for action on the first few casts!

grease line

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2011, 12:13:58 AM »

Also, if there are any spots in rougher water where they could be concentrated while travelling, that could help...fewer fish there, but more chance they'll bite.

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2011, 12:22:03 AM »

I don't want to discourage you and I could be wrong here but I don't think many fresh willing coho will be coming up as long as the water is as low as it currently is.

I could also be wrong here but the flyfishers might have been flyflossing.

July was unreal for coho when the river was up.

*If* the river rises in the next week or 2 you will have a better chance.

If you aren't already aware you can check the water level here http://www.vankayak.org/capcam/

frozensalmon

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2011, 12:26:40 AM »

thanks  for the link, well the water is indeed low, what's considered to be high enough? say like 5?

more coho, more coho... ::)

Nitroholic

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2011, 12:41:03 AM »

No point fishing the cap during the cap in this low water especially during the bait ban

nickredway

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2011, 05:37:04 AM »

I don't want to discourage you and I could be wrong here but I don't think many fresh willing coho will be coming up as long as the water is as low as it currently is.

I could also be wrong here but the flyfishers might have been flyflossing.

July was unreal for coho when the river was up.

*If* the river rises in the next week or 2 you will have a better chance.

If you aren't already aware you can check the water level here http://www.vankayak.org/capcam/
Considering most of those guys are stripping the fly I find that unlikely. When the river is low they will chase small flies quite readily when they are stacked up, a lot of those guys just keep changing up to keep them interested.

c-pin

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2011, 08:56:43 AM »

In my experience, the Capilano is very tough this time of year. There is nothing more frustrating to see all those fish and get nothing.

Time of day (first light) / Tides / run selection / technique - are all things that need to be tweaked each outing (during the summer).

The Capilano is a difficult river at the best of times. It took me at least 2 or 3 seasons to be consistent, and that was at about 16 or 17 years ago. I like to stay away from the Capilano during the hot, low water summer months. Until Autumn, my suggestion is either switch to the Squamish system for Pinks, or fish off the beaches.

Good Luck,  John
Wild Salmon are like Wild Women .... Fun to Catch and Mighty Tasty

bigblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2011, 10:38:07 AM »

Fishing for cap coho at this time of the year is like "pie in the sky" for an average angler.
As c-pin mentioned fish for pinks during the summer and come back when the water is higher and coloured in fall.
With the bait ban in effect, it is tough fishing.
Most stacked coho in cable pool are already stale or going stale and of low quality table fare.

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2011, 02:03:10 PM »

Considering most of those guys are stripping the fly I find that unlikely. When the river is low they will chase small flies quite readily when they are stacked up, a lot of those guys just keep changing up to keep them interested.

I sure hope so!  That is the opposite of what I saw last year at Cable Pool when the water got low.  I was "taught" how they were catching them and it was to let the line and fly sink to the bottom and pull it through the fish.

joshhowat

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2011, 03:56:42 PM »

cap in low water is a snag fest and should be closed imo.
Eat, Sleep, Fish.

nickredway

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2011, 04:59:25 PM »

Do you mean swinging it or stripping it through the school? Kind of hard to floss if you are retrieving it through the school you would need to be swinging it. Guys I've met keep mending it get it deep where the fish are and then strip it back, changing flies / retrieves often when they stop chasing one pattern or strip. Not saying there's no fly flossers but there are guys who can get them legit especially first thing. Agree its a waste of time, you can get the odd one or two first few casts with a spoon or spinner first thing if you are the first into a spot in the morning. A whole world of salmon fishing is about to open up in the next few weeks, should be a fishy end of the summer for everyone.

urbanflyfisher

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2011, 11:13:25 PM »

Ive been fly fishing the cable pool,dog leg, and little spencers since 1997 on and off, first of the run really went down, i remember back in 2000 the bottom of cable pool was black with salmon by the end of july, this year its been quite slow,  a few schools, but nothing like it was... although last year wasnt bad... i hooked 9 last week in 3 days.. only managed to land three... most came off during the climb down the the adjoining rocks, i prefer the river when its low... but thats just me, 7 foot  5X leader with a size 14 olive bugger, small rolled muddlers, even large egg sucking leaches, have produced, got two small ones tonight under 2lbs (jacks), all c&r, unless i get a nice 5+ pound silver female than i just might  keep it, I prefer C&R.

And yes its a very challenging river to fish, one of the reasons i love it ;D, from june to the end of august i will be there trying my luck with the beautiful small early run coho, i fly fish only so when the coho run is over and the springs start to run im done, dont have a heavy enough rod, nor do i really want one.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 12:21:47 AM by urbanflyfisher »

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2011, 11:32:26 PM »

here is proof just how much of a snag fest cable pool is - even though the gear on this poor sucker was likely residuals of the FSC fishery at the mouth. I went to the mouth at first light but saw no risers and nothing caught. Fish at cable are stale as ever and no new ones coming in. When the water is at a 2 or lower on the capcam there isnt much point fishing it as however many fresh fish come in, of those only a small make it past the rock and chicken wire FSC dams. between 4-6 is my favorite.

This guy had AT LEAST a 6/0 treble with 4-5 bolts attached to his back, withabout 2 feet of HEAVY braid hanging off of his back...I watched him swim near the surface for awhile and do a few backflips to try and get rid of the 'back pain'...but of course no luck - after all it was a weighted, barbed treble

urbanflyfisher

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2011, 11:48:30 PM »

I agree its absolutely disgusting :'( saw  this one dude  a few times in the lasts 2 weeks and he snags and snags, them kicks them of the cliff :o ??? >: but he looks native so i dont say anything.

Having such a river 20 minutes from the city attracts all kinds of personalities, some rather entertaining, others you want to throw in the river.