Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Late Season Lake Fishing  (Read 4219 times)

colin6101

Late Season Lake Fishing
« on: November 29, 2009, 10:50:13 PM »

I was thinking about taking the kayak out for one last chilly fishing trip before the snowfalls. I've never really fished the lakes in the lower mainland this late and was wondering what to expect? I was leaning towards either Morris Lake, or the trio of lakes at Sasquatch Park in Harrison. Any suggestions?

HOOK

• Old Timer
Re: Late Season Lake Fishing
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2009, 10:52:20 PM »

I would probably try the trio of lakes over Morris this time of year.

Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

colin6101

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2009, 11:10:17 PM »

Awesome, thanks for the input. I've never tried the lakes in that area this time of year. Always had good luck in the spring there though. I guess the nice thing about the Sasquatch park is that you can just switch lakes if you aren't having success. Any tips for fishing in this colder weather for Cutthroat then, as thats going to be the target regardless of the lake I end up at.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2009, 11:31:22 PM »

i can only think to use the usual cutty flies. however i know if you fish Hicks that they do like Red, i was told this by a guy that fishes there yearly and i would imagine its not a big fly.

I personally dont try lakes this time of year. i just did my last outing until some steelhead show up  ;D

Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

skunked

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2009, 11:43:22 PM »

if your in chilliwack area dont overlook cultus lake some nice fish to be had there and not alot of traffic up there this time of year ;)

colin6101

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2009, 12:30:09 AM »

Thanks for the advice, I will let you know how i do, im thinking i will probably head out on Tuesday or Wednesday.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2009, 07:39:00 AM »

I've had pretty good luck at Allouette lake in December/January. Depending on road access of course.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Robert_G

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2009, 09:19:56 AM »

if your in chilliwack area dont overlook cultus lake some nice fish to be had there and not alot of traffic up there this time of year ;)

Just remember.....do NOT eat anything out of that lake.

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2009, 01:38:45 PM »

I was thinking about taking the kayak out for one last chilly fishing trip before the snowfalls. I've never really fished the lakes in the lower mainland this late and was wondering what to expect? I was leaning towards either Morris Lake, or the trio of lakes at Sasquatch Park in Harrison. Any suggestions?

I'm with you- Morris is my favourite still water in the Lower Mainland. I've pulled some nice fish out of there in the winter months. I remember when you could go camping by the creek mouth before the yahoos showed up and ruined it. Do you access by the back side of the hatchery up the road?
http://

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2009, 03:17:54 PM »

--usually largest rainbows of the year are caught now till spring on okanagan lk.
--windy stormy weather is the biggest issue for fishing safety

--If you drive along the lake you will see some spots where fishers cast from shore to edge of drop offs as fish cruise for food
--trolling with spoons or bucktails is popular technique. Also Lyman plugs made in kelowna

--there are a few guides working the lake around the kelowna area, this might be the best bet for trying to catch the 10 lb plus

--If you've got winter tires on might be an interesting change of pace as we often invade your rivers over winter

colin6101

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2009, 05:35:52 PM »

Yeah Im thinking the OK is a bit too far for me, I live in Langley and wasn't going to drive any farther then hope (I really don't mind driving this far for some solitude on a lake after the crowded river season). Usually I just access Morris from the hatchery, i only have a 2 wheel drive truck and was never quite sure how good the access was from the other side. As I said I have a kayak and can just carry it down no problem. I think this is going to be a morning decision that probably won't happen until Im right at the Mission Bridge. 

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2009, 05:52:17 PM »

Not sure if you're into catching hatchery fish but Mill lake was just stocked. Apparently they threw in a couple hundred 3-6lb brood fish.  :-X
Actions speak louder than words.

colin6101

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2009, 11:42:23 PM »

Doesn't matter if the fish are hatchery to me or not, I just like the solitude of some of the other lakes , but I think I just might have to stop by for an hour or so on the way home and see if I can land one of those lunkers on my lightweight spinning rods. Thanks for the update I always seem to forget to check when lakes are being stocked.

jimmywits

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2009, 09:46:47 AM »

Not sure if you're into catching hatchery fish but Mill lake was just stocked. Apparently they threw in a couple hundred 3-6lb brood fish.  :-X
Thanks for the tip. Where did you get your info? there is no updates past the 10th 0f November on the stocking summary's.

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2009, 10:53:13 AM »

Thanks for the tip. Where did you get your info? there is no updates past the 10th 0f November on the stocking summary's.

Hub sports had it written on one of their white boards.  :)
Actions speak louder than words.