Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Make Salmon Our Official Provincial Fish  (Read 4033 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Make Salmon Our Official Provincial Fish
« on: March 02, 2009, 04:18:57 PM »

Salmon makes a splash in official fish derby

By Miro Cernetig, Vancouver Sun March 2, 2009

The idea of making the salmon our official provincial fish, which I suggested in a column a few days ago, is getting some notable support. B.C.'s former lieutenant-governor, Iona Campagnolo, is now campaigning to make salmon the province's symbol.

She is asking British Columbians to write letters in support of the idea. And Campagnolo plans to push the provincial government to make the legislative changes to make it happen.

At the moment, British Columbia has an official flower, the dogwood, an official tree, the western red cedar, an official bird, the Steller's jay, and more recently, an official mammal, the kermode bear, or spirit bear.

But no fish.

The former lieutenant-governor, who loves salmon, says it's time to rectify that oversight and recognize the great fish's iconic status.

She notes there are five official species of salmon -- chinook, sockeye, coho, keta (chum or dog salmon), the pink or humpback -- plus the steelheed, a "late-comer to official onchrynchus species designation.

"Together they are B.C. salmon and many of us believe the time has come for them to be granted official iconic status, joining the other official symbols of our province...."

Why is it a good idea? Simple really. Salmon are a tie to the province's history and an indicator of the province's future environmental health. As go the salmon, so go our rivers, and grizzlies and orcas.

Salmon are also a unique icon in B.C. Interest in the fish crosses cultures and generations. They hit a chord.

It isn't just the former lieutenant-governor who thinks salmon deserve official status. After writing the column about elevating salmon to the official fish, I was deluged by letters and e-mails.

This was from Chris, a first nations high school student who gave only his first name in an e-mail: "I am a first nations. I have learned a lot about salmon in the past, and have a lot of respect for the salmon.

"I am a fisherman," he continued. "But I will not fish for salmon for a long time because they are disappearing, as you say in your article."

This from Jo Ledingham, of Belcarra: "With Premier Campbell and cohorts touting the B.C. tourist industry, we can only imagine what tourism might look like without killer whales, bald eagles and bears for all those tourists to look at. These are all dependent on healthy salmon runs and probably represent the Big Three for B.C. coast wildlife viewing."

And this from Ken Huang, a not so new "new" Canadian, worried about the salmon being fished out in the Pacific, before they can make it back to our province's rivers to spawn: "I went back to Taipei five years ago and for the first time in my life I saw sockeye chunks selling in Taipei supermarkets.

"It bothered me a lot, since the fresh salmon sold there is none other than those we hatch and raise here in Pacific Canada and are intercepted and harvested -- illegally, I hope -- while making their migrating circle around the far eastern Asian country coasts.

"This reminds of the fact that about 35 years ago when I visited home in Taipei for the first time after I became a Canadian citizen, the most treasured gift I brought back in dry ice, seal-packed was a sockeye salmon. If the Canadian government does nothing to stop this salmon poaching elsewhere, I would not be surprised to see our salmon stock keep dwindling and pretty soon we will see 'Smoked Salmon made in Taiwan' or it could be any other countries in the region."

There are dozens more such letters, all worthy of being heard. The point is the plight of the salmon is a subject that unifies this province. Salmon should be made our official fish for 2010.

mcernetig@vancouversun.com

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
Re: Make Salmon Our Official Provincial Fish
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2009, 04:46:13 PM »

Time for everyone to write the MLA. Probably the best thing that can happen to raise awareness of fish habitat. Thanks for posting Chris.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Funeral Of Hearts

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2009, 04:52:43 PM »

How about an official bug... the pine beetle...... lol

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2009, 04:54:31 PM »

I hope they include steelhead in the classification of salmon. If they become a Provincial Fish then the government would be forced to protect them.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2009, 04:57:44 PM »

I hope they include steelhead in the classification of salmon. If they become a Provincial Fish then the government would be forced to protect them.

She notes there are five official species of salmon -- chinook, sockeye, coho, keta (chum or dog salmon), the pink or humpback -- plus the steelheed, a "late-comer to official onchrynchus species designation.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

mr.pink

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2009, 08:54:40 PM »

in in opinon it should be steellhead,like dion said they will be forced to protect them. salmon they have a commercial vested intrest in.just
my 2 cents.

searun17

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2009, 09:35:20 PM »

This is the exact reason why we don't have an official fish,if the existing gov had made the salmon our official fish of BC they would be forced to protect them and then what would happen to Campbells great fish farms.Out of all the species that have been made our official wildlife list in BC the salmon has had a far greater historical value in our province than the kermode ,eagle etc and the most important and symbolic of all of them is ignored,for what ,fish farms and big business.
Our kids are the future of our sport,take them fishing,teach them well and the rewards will be many.

jetboatjim

• Old Timer
  • catching poachers.
Steelhead as our provincial fish
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2009, 07:43:14 PM »

January 15th, 2009
Steelhead Society of B.C.
232 W. Broadway
Vancouver, B.C.
V5Y 1P6

Premier Gordon Campbell
Room 156, West Annex,
Parliament Buildings,
Victoria, B.C.
V8V1X4

Dear Premier Campbell

re: Designation of Steelhead as an Official Emblem of British Columbia (Provincial Fish)

Further to our earlier request of February 26, 2004, the Steelhead Society of B.C. again asks the
government to give serious consideration to designating the wild steelhead (Oncorhynhus mykiss) as
B.C.’s provincial fish for the following reasons:

- B.C. has a provincial flower (Pacific Dogwood, designated in 1956), a provincial gemstone
(jade, designated in 1968), a provincial bird (Steller’s Jay, designated in 1987), a provincial tree
(Western Red Cedar, designated in 1988), and most recently a provincial mammal (Spirit Bear).
However, despite the cultural significance of fish to British Columbia, a provincial fish has not
been designated as an official emblem of the province;

- Wild steelhead (and their land-locked equivalent, rainbow trout) are distributed throughout most
of B.C. British Columbia is the only province in Canada with native, wild steelhead populations.
These populations are the largest remaining in North America. The world records for the largest
steelhead caught in fresh-water, and the largest steelhead caught by fly fishing, are both from
British Columbia;

- B.C. is world famous for its unequalled wild steelhead sport fisheries, which are an economically
and culturally priceless part of our heritage. The designation of wild steelhead as our provincial
fish would add to these values.

We look forward to your response.

Yours truly,
Jason Tonelli
President
Steelhead Society of B.C.

Cc all Ministers and MLAs

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Re: Steelhead as our provincial fish
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2009, 11:41:37 PM »

Good work ;D ;D and thanks.

NFM

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2009, 01:48:22 AM »

not to be rude or anything, but yes everyone would like steelhead to be our provincial fish so we can conserve and protect them. But realistically is steelhead our provincial fish ? My personal opinion is that sockeye should be out provincial fish. B.C has the largest run of sockeye salmon in the world running through the mighty Fraser. And it has been like that for years and years. Sure people come to B.C to fish for steelhead, but what are we more well known for steelhead or sockeye? This is just my opinion and would like to know what other people think of it ? Thank you !

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2009, 11:30:31 AM »

B.C has the largest run of sockeye salmon in the world running through the mighty Fraser.

Not even close.

Russians harvested over 10 times as much Sockeye as BC B.C. harvested 1,750 tonnes of sockeye in 2007. Russia harvests about 15,000 tonnes of sockeye a year.

This whole idea is so typical of BC Sportfishermen who for the most part are ignorant and selfish as can be.

The idea is to make Salmon BC's official fish-it doesn't matter what kind of Salmon-most people couldn't tell the difference if you smacked them in the mouth with a fish nor do they care.

But now you have little group of kids running around on the net mewing My Fish! No My Fish! No My Fish!

Give your heads a hard shake people!

armytruck

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2009, 12:40:17 PM »

YAH ! I'II second that Chris  ;D good work  jbj
"Everyone ought to believe in something;  I believe I'll go fishing."

Bhinky

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2009, 12:45:53 PM »

Yeah JIM! Shame on you! What were you thinking!  ;)

jetboatjim

• Old Timer
  • catching poachers.
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2009, 03:55:33 PM »

this is not my idea, I would love to take credit for this one , but this has been around since 2004 with the SSBC.

Steelhead should be the provincial fish because you go to germany,japan or several other country's and ask anglers what their dream fish would be tons would say ,Travel to B.C. to catch large steelhead.(I know many that do come here just for steelhead)

Over 50% of anglers traveling to the skeena systems are non resident anglers, ( not from B.C) do you think steelhead is important to people in smithers,terrace,huston,hazleton ect...? tourism dollars?

I dont see many sockeye lodges around.

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2009, 04:09:17 PM »

Don't be silly Jim. Everyone knows that one commercially caught sockeye is worth far more to the economy than one sport caught steelhead  :-*
Actions speak louder than words.