Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Catch and release without harming the fish  (Read 4386 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Catch and release without harming the fish
« on: September 30, 2007, 07:16:59 PM »

Our outing on the Chilliwack River yesterday was very pleasant, but there was one event that made me cringed. The same problem arises every year, so I think it is important that we keep bringing it up in case some are not aware of this.

While fishing in the lower river yesterday, an angler hooked and landed a fish. It was either a pink or jack chinook salmon, a very fresh one actually. The angler proceeded to slid the fish up the dry bank. He calmly press the fish down with his hands until it stopped flopping. A knife then came out, so did a camera. Thinking that he was going to keep the fish, my focus went back to my float. After a couple of drifts, I looked back and he had finished taking some photos of the fish. He then held the fish up (properly in fact, one holding the tail while the other cradling its belly) and brought it to the shallows. I was quite shocked to see him resting the fish in the water a few minutes since the fish was brought on dry bank. He continued to revive the fish for a few minutes. It remained stationary. After some nudges by the angler, it slowly swam back in the run. Despite of its revival, the chance of this fish spawning before its death looks rather slim.

Catch and release is a common practice when fishing for fall salmon in our coastal rivers. Fish are released for many reasons. Sometimes they are required to be released because of regulations (daily quotas met, fish is already beyond edible shape, etc). Sometimes fish are released because the angler simply wants to catch some fish but does not wish to eat them. It's a practice that can really benefit both the resource and the sport. On one hand, the fish provide what recreational anglers look for. On the other hand, released fish ensure sustainability in the fishery. It's a win-win situation, but only if it is practiced correctly.

Proper catch and release is outlined on page 11 of the Freshwater Fishing Regulation Synopsis.

If the fish needs to be identified (wild vs hatchery coho, etc) or a photo is desired, then there are several important notes to remember. Keep the fish in the water at all time. When taking a photo, only pick the fish up from the water for a quick shot or two and place the water back in the water immediately. Fish can be identified in the shallow water, it should never be done on dry land.

By having the fish in the water at all time, you prevent scale loss on fish's body. You reduce mortality since the fish can breathe comfortably in the water. If you are fishing around other anglers, ask for help if needed. Most would be happy to tail the fish in the water for you. If someone else has a fish on, politely ask if he or she would like some help.

Lets have a great salmon season and prevent unnecessary prespawner deaths.

Schenley

Re: Catch and release without harming the fish
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2007, 03:54:52 PM »

By having the fish in the water at all time, you prevent scale loss on fish's body. You reduce mortality since the fish can breathe comfortably in the water.

A fish slid up the bank (no rocks) and handled with speed will be in far better shape than one that has been exhausted chasing it around the anglers feet. Scale loss for salmon in rivers is not a big issue as the scales start to re-absorb, and the scale pockets harden, as soon as the fish hits the fresh.

Doubtful??  Ask the guys that work in the hatcheries how much abuse salmon can REALLY take without dying.   

Schenley

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2007, 04:08:02 PM »

I should clarify-- there is no excuse for abuse---- picking a fish up by the gills, or booting it back in the water should not be tolerated...sliding up a silt or mud beach is preferable to clutching at it in the water....

fishonsteelheader

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2007, 06:59:49 PM »

you have to think about the people that pick the fish up by the gills and the ones that boot it back into the river they are not sport fishing there table fishing and over the past few years I have seen alot more people on the river that have no fish edict at all the bonk fowled hooked fish and toss or boot the fish back in to the water. this almost makes me want to stop fishing and find another hobbey. the worst of this all is these people teach there kids to do the same thing last weekend I watched a dozen people most with their kids do all this stuff. why wont DFO start doing sopthing about this.. >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( 
love to fish.

croc

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2007, 09:44:57 AM »

DFO can't be in a million places at once but most of the time i wish they could be  :(

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2007, 02:42:38 PM »

If abuse of fish is witnessed, you have two options.

Advise the individual of his wrong doings. Perhaps he or she is not aware of it.

Phone the authority and hopefully it will be dealt with. 1-800-465-4336.

A fish slid up the bank (no rocks) and handled with speed will be in far better shape than one that has been exhausted chasing it around the anglers feet. Scale loss for salmon in rivers is not a big issue as the scales start to re-absorb, and the scale pockets harden, as soon as the fish hits the fresh.

Doubtful??  Ask the guys that work in the hatcheries how much abuse salmon can REALLY take without dying.  

Spawning fish at hatchery certainly take a lot of handling and the fish can usually take it and recover well.

Perhaps you should advise the Ministry of Environment to have their recommendation of catch and release changed to what you are suggesting. I would be interested to hear what their response is. ;)

Schenley

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2007, 05:16:52 PM »

Rod-- we both would like to see the best for the fish-- but you have to be careful about "generalizing"

By having the fish in the water at all time, you prevent scale loss on fish's body. You reduce mortality since the fish can breathe comfortably in the water

Scale loss isnt a factor 99% of the time with salmon in freshwater...period. Get the fish under control and return it to the water quickly. AND THIS CAN INCLUDE QUICKLY REMOVING IT FROM THE WATER ON THE BANK, GETTING THE HOOK OUT AND RELEASING IT. Yes-- I know-- its easier to say bringing a fish up out of the water is BAD.... but just how much stress do you think the fish go through when they are played to exhaustion so that it can be grasped, and then released.....Conditions vary-- and there ARE times when taking the fish out of the water is better for the fish.  Quite frankly, the use of a landing net is the BEST way to handle fish as they then dont have to be grabbed, squished or otherwise overly restrained.... but how many persons want to be seen as "beeks" carrying thier nets down the banks of the mainland  rivers???  ;)

As far as what MOE thinks-- are you referring to that bunch that has sat back and watched steelhead vanish from one river system at a time on the Southcoast??  Frankly-- to quote Rhett Butler--"I dont give a damn!"

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2007, 05:23:36 PM »

Did I state that I disagree with your method in my previous post? ???

Anyway, from my personal experience, I've never had a problem with releasing the fish quickly in the water.

The point of the post is to remind anglers that released fish should be handled with care to reduce mortality. How an angler chooses to do so is up to him or her after all the available information is given.

Yes, a catch and release landing net is best. I use it all the time for all fish (big and small) when fishing in the Fraser.

fishonsteelheader

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2007, 09:32:25 PM »

If abuse of fish is witnessed, you have two options.

Advise the individual of his wrong doings. Perhaps he or she is not aware of it.

Phone the authority and hopefully it will be dealt with. 1-800-465-4336.

Spawning fish at hatchery certainly take a lot of handling and the fish can usually take it and recover well.

Perhaps you should advise the Ministry of Environment to have their recommendation of catch and release changed to what you are suggesting. I would be interested to hear what their response is. ;)
rod i have said this alot and I not surprised at there responses like are you DFO or I don't care as for that number good luck I tried it once and I don't wanted to leave my vice on an answering machine I want to talk to DFO but what good will that do is there any one in the area >:(
love to fish.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2007, 09:34:05 PM »

ok, sorry. Please don't call.

itosh

• I EAT llamas!
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2007, 10:38:32 PM »

rod i have said this alot and I not surprised at there responses like are you DFO or I don't care as for that number good luck I tried it once and I don't wanted to leave my vice on an answering machine I want to talk to DFO but what good will that do is there any one in the area >:(

Hmmmm.... you don't want to leave your voice on an answering machine.  So in other words you would rather just do nothing?  Do you have an answering machine on your cell, at home or at work?  I'm gonna assume that you probably have at least one somewhere.  What do you do when you notice that there is a message?  Do you just ignore it or check it after you've finished __________?  I'm going to guess that you check your messages.  Perhaps DFO checks their messages also and informs the CO in the area.

« Last Edit: October 02, 2007, 10:44:33 PM by itosh »

Nina

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2007, 10:36:05 AM »

Just an advice; always remember to reread your post before posting. Fixing spelling mistakes and punctuation will help people to better understand what you are trying to say, and people are more willing to answer well written posts. I am not singling you out, just a friendly reminder to everyone on the forum.  :)

Schenley

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2007, 01:58:13 PM »

Well Nina-- I have NO idea what he was trying to say!    ??? ??? ???

fishonsteelheader

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2007, 09:11:01 PM »

you no what you can all bite me I so sick of the way everone just want to s..t on what you say> Itosh for your information I have left a message and you know I never heard back from them after I asked them to call me so I know that they got my call so unless you know then piss off! This sit has a good number of good people but then it has those people that just like to stir up s..t. Rod pull me from this site. All the new and old good forum users have fun good luck and don't speak your mind.l     
love to fish.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2007, 09:25:31 PM »

I think it's an emotional issue for of us :(
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?