Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Gloves for Winter Steelheading  (Read 15063 times)

joshhowat

Re: Gloves for Winter Steelheading
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2012, 08:47:58 PM »

I have those Simms gloves got them last year for the T. They are awesome but stupid expensive and mine already have a bunch of seams ripped open. The thing I like about them the most is that when wet still very light and warm.
Eat, Sleep, Fish.

chronic_topdawg

« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2012, 09:29:44 PM »

wow luongo leafs suck, dont tip your kayak like you tipped our dreams.

Jewelz

• I've got the bug
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2012, 09:30:37 PM »

I went to MEC and bought a pair of kayaker's gloves. They're a really thin neoprene and are meant to keep your hands warm even when wet. I just cut off the tips of my pinky finger and my ring finger on my right hand so I can control the pin better.
Peace. One. Jewelz.
"Who knew that fishing was this addicting..."

Thørns

« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2012, 01:09:29 AM »

I agree on wool gloves.

Also carrying an instant portable fire makes a difference for warming up those freezing hands. An old Altoids tin filled up with some insulation, then fill up one of those 4oz. squirt containers you find in Walmart with Methyl Hydrate for fuel. When you want to use it, open the tin and pour a half oz. or more depending on how long you want the fire to be and light it. When hands are warm and fire is still going, simply flip the lid over the tin and deprive the fire with oxygen. Off to the next spot:) Just keep the bottle of Methyl Hydrate in a warm spot of your body to keep it warm. They can be difficult to light when cold.

They are also nice mini portable stoves if you wanna make some coffee/hot chocolate/tea or warm up some instant noodles. An oz. usually can bring a cup and a half to a rolling boil.

Cheers.
~If you're roughing it, you're doing it all wrong.~

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2012, 11:41:05 AM »

Stuart -

As I said, different things work for different people, and you're right about the neoprene being an insulator.  I just find (personally) the cotton as a base layer is rarely a good idea.  Polypro makes a lot more sense to me.  :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjhF-AJ_Nyg&feature=share&list=UULbqAm8PyvUK-QikEFCTkIQ

Cool vid, Stuart, that's a nice life to be living!

Fisherama

« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2012, 06:47:26 PM »

I'm usually fishing a pin during steelhead season and have personally found gloves to get in the way of my fishing properly.  I usually go gloveless but invested in a zippo hand warmer (can be purchased at mec) a few years ago, it's made a huge difference.  Most other handwarmers lose their heat when it really gets cold but the zippo stays nice and toasty for the whole day.

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2012, 07:19:51 PM »

I'm usually fishing a pin during steelhead season and have personally found gloves to get in the way of my fishing properly.  I usually go gloveless but invested in a zippo hand warmer (can be purchased at mec) a few years ago, it's made a huge difference.  Most other handwarmers lose their heat when it really gets cold but the zippo stays nice and toasty for the whole day.

I've got one of those heaters too! So nice for the really cold days. I use finger less wool gloves, the ones that Fred's sells.
Common sense is so rare it should be considered a superpower.

crazypop

« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2012, 04:51:26 PM »

Could have used those today!!

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2012, 08:56:51 AM »

Simms gloves hands down. I own a pair with and without the flaps. $60 for a pair of gloves is pennies to keep your fingers warm, my palms never get cold but my fingers will freeze off quite easily. also having a good wading jacket with handwarmer pockets(fleece lined) will warm up your hands pretty quick too as they are warmed by your body heat  ;D

Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

fishbuster

« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2012, 01:06:02 PM »

I've always used the wool fingerless gloves with hand warmers in my jacket.  Works, but somedays its just to cold to work.  Where would you find the Zippo hand warmers? 

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 01:16:28 PM by Easywater »

fishbuster

« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2012, 07:08:40 PM »

Thanks

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2012, 08:11:28 PM »

I got one of those hand warmers handed down by my dad. The inscription on it was "Made in Occupied Japan" The fuel sticks were also "Made in Occupied Japan" (my dad was in the Army during WW2). Still works.

BNF861

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2012, 08:51:32 PM »

As mentioned wool gloves are great. They are cheap, warm and insulate even when wet.

I also have the Simms windstopper full finger gloves. They are decent but are not waterproof and do not insulate as well as wool does when wet so if it's raining, snowing, stripping in wet fly line, etc they get wet and your fingers get cold.

I am much happier with my cheap eight dollar fingerless wool gloves verses my fifty dollar fancy simms gloves. Usually you get what you pay for, but not in this case IMO.

Something to try on those really cold days, is handwarmers on the insides of your wrists. I picked up this trick on one of the forums a while back. As blood circulates, fingers and toes are the furthest things away and get cold first. A warmer on the inside of your wrist will warm the blood going to your fingers and help keep them warm. My jacket has adjustable cuffs, so I will place a warmer on the inside of my wrist and tighten the cuff holding it in place. Sometimes by doing this, it will keep my hands warm enough to not use gloves when I otherwise might of had to. Used with gloves, it works even better. The Simms gloves even have a pocket built in for warmer's in that location.

mastercaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2012, 09:22:59 AM »

Simms gloves hands down. I own a pair with and without the flaps.

Dropped one of mine yesterday (Sat.) on the road by the train bridge if someone happens to find it.  It's the foldover Simms model.  I didn't need them yesterday so when I unzipped my jacket to take it off when I packed up it must have fallen out.  They're my favourite for spey fishing because I can expose only the finger tips I need to use....the rest of them can remain covered.

PM me please if you find it~