Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Homemade Lure?  (Read 3890 times)

FraserFishing

Homemade Lure?
« on: September 03, 2010, 09:28:46 PM »

has anyone here tried successfully fishing with homemade spoons? Made out of recycled materials such as flattened cans or metal bottle caps. It sounds good and i want to know if people have caught fish with it. Thanks!

gcal

Re: Homemade Lure?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2010, 09:18:35 AM »

It's probably cheaper to just go to Walmart and buy the no-name, packaged lures.   They come like 3 or 5 to a blister pack and cost maybe 5 bucks.  They have cheap hooks, and stuff but they'll do the job.   If you like, you can just spray paint them, and add prism tape to "fancy" them up.

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2010, 08:40:29 PM »

http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/casting-spoons/

Spoon blanks.  If you wanted different colours (Kokanee blue, Budweiser red etc) get some automotive spray paint from Lordco or get reflector tape from a tackle-making website like the one above.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2010, 08:42:55 PM by Matt »

Long_Cast

• Fish Smart
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2010, 12:14:04 PM »

You can make homemade spoons from old eating spoons. Don't worrying about dull or even rusted spoons because they still work very well on sunny conditions.  Saw off the handle and drill two holes for the rings.  Add a sharp hook. I've caught salmon, dogfish, and rockfish with it when jigged and trolled.

penn

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2010, 03:24:28 PM »

It's probably cheaper to just go to Walmart and buy the no-name, packaged lures.   They come like 3 or 5 to a blister pack and cost maybe 5 bucks.  They have cheap hooks, and stuff but they'll do the job.   If you like, you can just spray paint them, and add prism tape to "fancy" them up.
I suspect you missed the point. It's not always about cheapest for all people , some may take pride in making something for themselves that is successful . This sort of thing could be called "hobby" .

FraserFishing

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2010, 09:07:08 AM »

Spoons for spoons... Its brilliant! I wish I had the materials to cut it :'(

StillAqua

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2010, 09:28:03 AM »

When I was a kid growing up in Calgary, my Dad used to get scrap bits of aircraft aluminum from the airport yard. We'd spend an afternoon cutting out long spoon shapes (crocodile-like) with tin snips, drilling holes in each end, then tapping them into spoon shapes with a carved out wood shape he had made. Then we 'd polish them up with a sander, add split rings, a treble hook and a swivel, and take them out fishing for northern pike. We were very successful and I still have 3 of them. And some of the best memories in the world.

fishseeker

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2010, 01:55:06 PM »

http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/casting-spoons/

Spoon blanks.  If you wanted different colours (Kokanee blue, Budweiser red etc) get some automotive spray paint from Lordco or get reflector tape from a tackle-making website like the one above.
Army and Navy plus a number of other fishing tackle outfits sell blanks like this too.    Thanks for the info Matt,  I have not been able to find anywhere that sells reflective tape like that - I will probably order some myself  ;)

[Speaking for myself its definitely about the cheapest options - spoons cost a fortune in my opinion]

« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 01:57:53 PM by fishseeker »

lovethewater

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2010, 08:18:58 AM »

I have made some home made spoons out of 316 stainless steel.  316 is marine grade.  I have had some luck with trout but usually get laughed off the boat when i suggest we troll them.   I agree it is more about the feeling of catching something on something you have made that is the motivation.  I have a metalworking company so I have the tools to do it.  I am going to start making some more and will post a pic of the spoons if I ever catch a salmon!

Snapperhead

• Currie Artworks
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2010, 05:52:33 PM »

A friend of mine uses old dinner knives from Salvation Army and makes spoons. Bend them for a good flash and cheap as it gets.
The make real nice anchovie spoons.
Currie Artworks
Whistler B.C.