Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: sockeye fishing tactics on lower Fraser vs Upper Fraser  (Read 13668 times)

gigahoo

Re: sockeye fishing tactics on lower Fraser vs Upper Fraser
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2010, 03:16:10 PM »

Topography of the river bottom isnt' conducive to bouncing.  Your weight will get stuck the big rocks on the bottom.  You need a river bottom with lots of smooth "medium sized" rocks and a fast enough current to keep your weight ticking along.

Well said, but if you read my earlier post (just above a little), you will see that I am speaking in the context of an innovation that may address the topography challenge (which in the lower fraser probably consist of dunes of silt).   Here is my post:

Only an idea so far, but seems promising as a new way to catch sockeye in the delta area.

To address the problem of slow current in the lower fraser near the mouth, I have the idea of inserting a round lead weight inside of a golf ball size rubber ball, and using the ball as a weight, to be used with standard flossing techniques.

The rubber ball weight will reduce the buoyancy of the lead metal core and together will is bullky size, this should insure that the current will move it along, thus standard flossing methods should work.

I will try it this weekend if I have a chance to get out.  If any one else tries it, let us know!

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2010, 03:36:23 PM »

Yup.  Missed that.  Interesting.  Would be interesting to see this applied, for example around Fraser river foreshore park... current is farily zippy there.

lovethewater

« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2010, 08:44:02 AM »

I have tried a fair amount for sockeye in the lower Fraser this season..probably 10 hours total.  I live in Vancouver so fish some rover access spots down by Southlands, Angus lands.  Its funny, b/c I dont see many fish.  I am out before / after incoming tides.  I was staring at the water for 3 hours on sunday and didn't see a single fish.  Are most of the fish moving up the North or South arm of the river?  It seems they must be up the South arm. 
If we assume that fish move up the North arm in any numbers there should be spots where they rest.  There are some great looking 'Fishy' pools that I have found but nothing.  Except for this 5 lb white fish I caught.  I will post a pic if anyone wants to see it.

So, are the salmon (all species) moving more up the North or South arm?

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2010, 09:16:10 AM »

Sockeye seem to avoid the North Arm from I've seen (based on fish jumping).  I would like to see the big whitefish..