Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: will adding line affect a center pin's casting?  (Read 4285 times)

Gooey

• Old Timer
will adding line affect a center pin's casting?
« on: September 29, 2009, 02:21:16 PM »

I recently started experimenting with bb sized split shot...maybe 10-15 of em well spaced out under an 11 gram drennan (so pretty light).  I was running 15lb maxima UG as main and really if I wanted any distance, I had to strip cast it.  I decided to try some 15lb braid so I got a spool and added it ONTOP of my 15lb maxima.  So now my king fisher has 200 yards of dacron backing, a bunch of 15 and 200 yards of 15lb Powerpro.  The start up with that little weight is not quick enough so I am wondering if I pulll off the bottom 2 layers (dacron and mono) will the casting get easier?  My guess is yes but I its a lot of pissing around to do basically on a hunch. 

Anyh thoughts?

Lawsch

• Do or do not, there is no try..
Re: will adding line affect a center pin's casting?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2009, 02:28:42 PM »

The larger diameter the reel (if mass was not changed), the less force it will take for the line to get the reel spinning, as you have a larger lever trying to move the mass.  So if you remove line, you will be effecively reducing the diameter of the reel, thus requiring more force to get the reel spinning.  I believe the diameter of the line has less effect with a CP reel than it does on say a spinning reel as most of the casting drag is from the momentum of getting the reel spinning, not 100% sure though.

funpig

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2009, 02:48:46 PM »

No experience with centerpin. but what Lawsch says makes some sense.  I would add that by removing line, you will reduce the outer diameter, which means that the reel would have to spin much faster and more often to get the same amount of line out.  I would think that would decrease your casting distance.  Maybe it's time to add a big hunk of lead.

hue-nut

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2009, 04:58:33 PM »

how far you trying to cast? I would say there is no reason that you need to be running anything more than the dacron and mono. If you really need to cast further just go to a 20 g float and a little more weight. I find that the 11g floats are too small if you have to cast any distance, it's hard to get  a good drift because you have so little weight on there, just trying to keep you line off the water pulls you out of the drift.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2009, 12:49:59 AM »

im with HueNut on this one. bump up your float size and use a little chunk of pencil lead. It will cast alot better. I only have the dacron and mono on my cp reel and i can cast it really far especially if i bump up the weight.  ;) I normally fish 25 or 30 gram floats and use about a 1.5-2 inch chunk of lead directly onto my mainline (slip sinker style). I have tried the whole split shot thing but found it just wasnt for me and didnt get down very well and all those shot spaced out sure can spook fish
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

c-pin

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2009, 06:43:18 AM »

I have been told by an East Coast Centrepin user to do this:

1) Do not use Dacron backing. Use about 100 yds of lead trolling line.

2) Put you regular monofilament on the reel after the lead line. For light presentations, he uses maximum rating 10lb line.

He claims that the weight on the inside of the reel (lead line) creates the inertia to start up very light presentations, and it is easier to cast.

I have never tried this, but he swears by it.
Wild Salmon are like Wild Women .... Fun to Catch and Mighty Tasty

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2009, 07:26:35 AM »

To Hook and Hue, the whole point of going to 15lb braid is to aid in casting super light presentations.  I had had great success on the cap coho using this set up...I personally believe these bb sized shot are far less invasive compared to a chunk of pencil lead or larger shot.  I usually fish the 24-30 gram floats so this is an experiment in the other direction and the results have been good so far.

C-pin...I want to decrease the inertia, adding lead line would greatly increase it.  Hook and Hue's suggestion to go heavier on the lead which is a way of counteracting the inertia of the spool.  The spools inertia can be increased or decreased by changing the weight of it....more weight, greater inertia.  This is why I want to take the dacron and mono off (reduced weight = reduce inertia), the loss of diameter is an interest aspect to consider but its that inertia at the beginning of the cast that I am trying to minimize in order to improve the casting of this light set up.

I think I just need to strip that line and see how it goes. 

superstick

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2009, 08:20:19 AM »

if you are going to use that light of weight dont mess with your reel youtube wallis casting . if you learn this cast it will make centerpining much more enjoyable