Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Counterfeit pins?  (Read 2796 times)

mr.p

Counterfeit pins?
« on: September 28, 2009, 11:03:34 PM »

I'm assuming just like everything else there are fake centerpins out there.  Any experiences with knockoffs?

Is this a fake? I'm a bit skeptical as the seller does not mention the word "Kingpin" anywhere.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Float-Reel-discontinued-model_W0QQitemZ300351080335QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_2?hash=item45ee51c78f&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14
Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints...

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: Counterfeit pins?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2009, 11:46:52 PM »

Click on the picture of the reel. Says it's made in the Ukraine and Russia

mr.p

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2009, 12:28:57 AM »

I think you are looking at the wrong reel.  Looks like it says manufactured in England.
However, nowhere in the listing or title does it mention Kingpin.  The auction is over anyhow.  I'm just wondering if I should be cautious of counterfeit pins out there.

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints...

silverslab

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2009, 09:42:42 AM »

I would think that with the effort required to build (machine) one of these that it is not a knockoff/fake  only because, for the time it would take to machine, anodize and finish it to what looks to be a pretty nice finish you could simply make a quality reel.  I dont think there would be much money to be made if you were building knock offs that look like that.  Look at some off the other reels on the top of the page, those are the cheap immitations

steeleagle

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2009, 06:04:24 PM »

Yes you should be cautious when buying pins over the web, but other wise in person you can look and feel the reel and know it's not a fake and if it is a fake that spins really smooth and long buy it cause it's be cheaper then the real one. Fishing isn't always about having the best gear, it's about knowing how to use what you have properly to hook your self plenty of fish. Some of the older pins are still the best, just need a little more attention now and then to keep them spinning smooth.