Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack River, February 4th 2009  (Read 3652 times)

yakideath12

Chilliwack River, February 4th 2009
« on: February 04, 2009, 01:57:40 PM »

I was there today. Nice water, and weather.  :D

testo84

• officially a hardware addict
Re: Chilliwack River, February 4th 2009
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2009, 04:14:13 PM »

gj nice fish !
hardware == fish

coho killer

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009, 06:40:45 PM »

good job! Wish i was that fortunate today my luck ran out as the canucks got some of it.

yakideath12

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2009, 07:20:09 PM »

on the way home i had a car accident so.. even? :'( someone hit back of my car at the merge. I went to body shop to estimate  :o :o just outside dmg 6000 dollars ...........

Athezone

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2009, 07:33:16 PM »

Good job there Yaki, a very nice fish. I happened to make my second trip to the Vedder today as well unfortunately my efforts weren't quite as rewarding as Yaki's. Close tho. I arrived on the south side of Peach Rd. and fished a number of nice looking runs.  I saw 4 people fishing on the other side, three slowly making there way downriver, fishing as they walked. My first spot that I fished looked great, a little ledge about 5 or 6 ft.  above the river that ran for about 80 or so ft. The only thing I did'nt like were the natural obstacles that would make landing a fish difficult, falllen trees, branches sticking out and what not but the water looked fishy enough for me to at least give it a try. Started at the bottom because thats where I came to first and more importantly, nobody was fishing above. Fished for half an hour using shrimp sprinkled with smelly jelly and then switched up to a roe bag. After ten minutes I thought, hell I may as well move to the top of the run and try there. My roe bag was still fairly fresh so into the drink she goes. Just a beautiful day today as well I must add as my cleardrift float makes its way downriver at a walking mans speed. I glance over to look at another angler and as I look back to my float it is just now coming up from a deep swim. My heart quickens as I let it go ten more feet and then gracefully glide it back to me, carefully I think so I don't  disturb the fish that may have just said Hello. I look at my roe sack, it looks no worse for wear and with a deft touch worthy of a dart master making 180 I position it perfectly in the same lane as seconds before. Again my heart quickens and I have to tell myself to allow everything to be natural,  soft, soft, soft and as it reaches its previous swimming point, wham, down it goes. I am ready for it and its a solid strike and the glitter of steel rises from the depths and explodes upon the surface. Two anglers on the opposite side seem surprised and happy to see some action finally and now I explore my options as I quickly attempt to gain the advantage over this beautiful specimen. It peels off more line as I watch it pull down river another fifteen ft. and I know if it goes another ten ft. I am in trouble as a long tree is sticking out over the river but just as suddenly it stops and allows me to reel some line back. It slowly makes its way closer to me and I now see that its a hatchery and it looks to be about 12 lbs. so I don't need my needle nosies for this beaut as it would be my first of this year and
will go on my tag. After a few spirited but short runs it is ready but now I need to scurry down 6ft. to the water and with only two short ft. of room as the water gets deep fast here coax this baby in. All of a sudden I notice a person moving towards me, the only person I had seen on my side in the last hour, what timing. He asks if he can help and although rarely would I hand my rod to another to land a steelie, in this location and situation it is the thing to do. Upon telling him the drag is set and to keep the tip high I slowly make my way down to this beautiful fish. The two on the opposite side are watching in anticipation and I am on stage, a star and the co-star in the water with supporting actor above. My adrenaline is rushing as the fellow up top glides the steel closer to my waiting arms but the steelie decides one last escape attempt must be made and like Steve McQueen on his motorcycle she goes screaming over the fence and hits the ground running. The next voice I hear is the fellow who is helping me, found out later his name is Roger, he says, "She's gone". My heart drops as I make my way back up top, and Roger is appologetic and sorry but I tell him that it wasn't his fault, and it wasn't. Not all endings in a dramatic play are happy endings but still I think the crowd watching left happy and satisfied they got their money's worth. Roger and me chat for a while and he seems more upset about the fish than I am but I tell him, no sweat, we'll get another. But not here we won't as I fished for another hour then decide its time to move to another locale. I then drive to Lickman Rd. and fish there for about 1 hour amongst about a dozen people scattered here and there but no fish are caught by anyone and I decide to make my way home. Visibility was about two ft. and the water had dropped abit from when I was there one week ago. Still and all, absolutely a great time. Met Roger, another new friend, hooked and said Hello to Miss Steel and then she had to run and heard the call of returning Canadians and smelt the freshness of the soon to be returning Spring. Yes, still and all, a Great Day. Good Fishing All.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2009, 07:47:41 PM »

An excellent report. Sorry to hear you won't be having fish for dinner tonight.

Athezone

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2009, 08:02:19 PM »

Me too.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2009, 08:02:58 PM »

As FA said an enjoyable read and of course too bad you lost the fish. However we all must remember there is always another one out there for us to catch even though they can be hard to find at times. You did well to hook one today as by the reports I got it was slow and I myself have not had a bite in the last 3 trips. Maybe tomorrow the bad streak will end.

I know the spot you mention, definitely a tough place to land one if things go wrong.

Steel_Mo_Head

• Steel Fever.....
Chilliwack River, February 4th 2009: Definitely a Steal_Mo_Head Day!
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2009, 09:22:49 PM »

Got up this morning at about 615... started getting ready hoping that it was going to be a beautiful day and of course possibly a steely.  I started up river around 8 ish.. and work my way down to the lower.. spent most my time in the lower.. didnt see anyone hit anything till about 1230.. a guy lands one that was a nice 12-14 lb.. doh! Gives me more hope to keep fishing..  i went to my usual lucky spot, and nothing.. so.. i started wallkin down the river.. still nothing.. 2 o clock hits.. and i decide to go back to the lucky spot as the sun is going down for another hour.. casting away.. still nothing.. take a smoke break.. and get rid of the layers since it actually frickin hot!  .. She hits.. and.. takin in some advice from a member on the board previously was to not fight the fish toO carefully..so i play it a little harder then usual! keepin on the tension...as it gets closer i  realize its a hatchery!!!! nice chrome doh!  Finally first hatchery of the year..

i am now.. 2-6 out of 9 trips!!!

Definately Hooked!

<BR>

« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 09:48:50 PM by Steal_Mo_Head »
I can't wait to fish ALL the time!

Athezone

• Old Timer
Re: Chilliwack River, February 4th 2009: Definitely a Steal_Mo_Head Day!
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2009, 09:57:39 PM »

Good for you SMH, you are in the club now. Congratulations, there are many, many more waiting for you to catch as the good time for steelies is just beginning and will be good well into March. Thanks for the pic and the good news.

CohoMan

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2009, 09:58:14 PM »

I guess you are really HOOKED now!!!!

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2009, 10:07:49 PM »

2 fish hooked, 1 barbed and another missed in less than 2 hours. Great day to be out. Was sunny and very warm. Only saw one other angler all day  ;D
Water conditions again were great, 3-4 feet of visi and quite low. They are starting to stack  ;D
« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 10:09:28 PM by Every Day »

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2009, 10:13:35 PM »

Awesome stuff. ;D
Pretty gtufood average you have going there.

yakideath12

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2009, 10:20:38 PM »

another addiction!!

Steel_Mo_Head

• Steel Fever.....
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2009, 10:28:32 PM »

lol frickin awwsome!!! words can't describe!!
I can't wait to fish ALL the time!