Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tidal Fraser River, November 9th 2008  (Read 1857 times)

yamadirt 426

Tidal Fraser River, November 9th 2008
« on: November 09, 2008, 04:12:01 PM »

Gary Point park. No pics but I finally connected with a couple bullys today. I caught one 16" and one 14" that i'm pretty sure I landed twice so 3 to the beach in total. Caught them on a 1/4 green/silver croc then switched to a #2 silver blue fox and connected on the way back. Silly fish. And big thanks to Rod. These are my first bullys ever and I got them on the ultra light 6' Shimano Exage axs.t.c.te telescopic rod with the smallest Pflueger Maxx25 . I wouldn't have there without your reports  ;D
« Last Edit: November 09, 2008, 04:21:45 PM by yamadirt 426 »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Tidal Fraser River, November 9th 2008
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2008, 05:06:27 PM »

Fantastic! Congratulations. :D What time were you fishing? We were down there from 1:00pm until 4:30pm and it was the best day of the season so far. Report to come. ;D

Nitroholic

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2008, 05:20:12 PM »

Awwww I knew I should have went out today  :'(
« Last Edit: November 09, 2008, 06:00:20 PM by Nitroholic »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2008, 06:24:11 PM »

Ok here we go. :)

After hooking some solid fish yesterday in the shallows, I was eager to get back this afternoon for another go, except with waders on this time. Carlo came along too just to see what all the hype is all about. Now he knows. ;D

I arrived 30 minutes ahead of Carlo because he had to make a lunch run to Mac D, so I decided to fish in front of the parking lot until his tummy was satisfied. In those 30 minutes, I managed to lose a bull trout, land a small cutthroat trout and a good sized bull trout.

Once he was all set up in the parking lot, we headed to another bay where I caught three fish yesterday. He decided to start the day with chucking feathers.

It took about 30 minutes before I hooked into the first fish, which I thought may have been a salmon. This fish headed straight for the mainstem Fraser right away and nothing could be done with the ultralight rod except going along with the ride. In the meantime, I called Carlo to head over. I managed to gain some line before it went for another good run. At times it almost felt like a snag when it decided to sit at one spot in the deep. Just to make things more interested, a big tug boat had just gone by and waves were heading toward us. This first gave me the advantage as the waves pushed the fish right in, but now I was facing waves up to my waist. :o Finally the pounding stopped and the nicest looking bull trout of the season was firmly in my hands. :D We even had a big audience behind us while Carlo took some photos for me. ;D

Once I released the fish, Carlo had seen enough and went back to his truck to get an ultralight spinning rod. ;D He returned in five minutes, casted to the exact same area where he had been flyfishing and hooked a fish right away! It was a beautiful cutthroat trout. This was the sixth cutthroat trout I've seen this fall in the Tidal Fraser, a very good indication of the health of the population.

We continued working along the beach as the tide started falling. Carlo hooked the last fish of the day an hour before dark, another good sized bull trout.

When I came back empty handed twice last week, I thought most of the fish have moved on and the season was done. You just never know when targeting mobile hunters like these. :)

Fishin_Squirrel10-4

• Hmmm yes, quite. Where are the fish again?
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2008, 10:11:52 PM »

nice fish you guys, when i get a chance, i'd love to go out there  :D
is there a secret spot?  ;)
Nothing to see here, Hmm yes.......
Quite........
Carry on......

Snapperhead

• Currie Artworks
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2008, 10:38:26 PM »

Great pics Rodney.
Currie Artworks
Whistler B.C.

yamadirt 426

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2008, 10:42:51 PM »

I was out there at 11:00am this morn, way before high tide. My buddy came around noon but for some reason he wanted to go to the end of 2 road to the gov warf so we were there for a half hour but I just wasn't feeling it. He left and I went back to the beach for 12:30 and started hitting them. Stayed out till about 2 then had to go pick up my little boat from the upolstry guy. Now that I've finally connected I want to turn back the clock a few months. Hope to get some more days in before they move on

yamadirt 426

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2008, 10:47:27 PM »

Looking at the times I don't know how I missed you. I was in the bay next to the memorial the whole time. I guess I might have left at 1:00 maybe. Now I'm not sure  ???

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2008, 10:51:58 PM »

Great pics Rodney.

Thanks. It's a lot cheaper than driving up your way to get the same species. ;D

Hope to get some more days in before they move on

I think we'll still get a few more weeks of this good fishing. :D I hope anyway... :) I've noticed that the fish we have been catching in the last week or so have all been quite big. Not just long, but also fat. The unknowns are pretty exciting, maybe one of us will pull out a 30 incher before Christmas. ;D

Looking at the times I don't know how I missed you. I was in the bay next to the memorial the whole time. I guess I might have left at 1:00 maybe. Now I'm not sure  ???

We were fishing on the beaches most of the time. We saw quite a few people around the Memorial when we arrived so we skipped it and moved onto the beach just west of it right away. :)