Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Differences in reels and equipment question  (Read 4271 times)

Simon2

• I'm a llama!
Differences in reels and equipment question
« on: November 07, 2004, 07:46:14 AM »

Newbie question here.  I'm thinking of changing equipment.  I have a spinning reel right now.  What's the difference in using a spinning reel, casting reel or a spin cast reel.  Went out to the Chehalis and I noticed everyone was using a casting reel. 

Also,  what's a good setup for a rod and reel?  Where can I buy? 

It was my birthday and I thought I might get myself a present.

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
Re: Differences in reels and equipment question
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2004, 08:29:20 AM »

If you mean for Float Fishing it's all about control-it's much easier to control the drift with a Casting reel.
How much money do you have to spend?
$200 for a Shimano Convergence rod and $300 for a Calcutta 250 reel is about right.
Or maybe get a cheapie Abu reel for a $100/$150 or so.
Avoid Okuma and the like-100% junk.

Simon2

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2004, 10:12:37 AM »

Sometimes, I use a float and sometimes I use weights.   Thank you for the advice

If you mean for Float Fishing it's all about control-it's much easier to control the drift with a Casting reel.
How much money do you have to spend?
$200 for a Shimano Convergence rod and $300 for a Calcutta 250 reel is about right.
Or maybe get a cheapie Abu reel for a $100/$150 or so.
Avoid Okuma and the like-100% junk.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2004, 11:15:04 AM »

Simon:

Just adding a few more things on top of what Sam had said. If this is the first time you'll be using a casting reel, some entry level reels that you may want to consider include ABU 5600c4/c3, 6500c4/c3, or Shimano Corsair. They are inexpensive (below $150) and can be kept as backup reels when you upgrade to better reels such as a Shimano Calcutta.

For the baitcasting rod to go with the reel, go with a Shimano Convergence like Sam said or pay a few dollars more for a Fenwick HMX, length 10'6. Price ranges between $100 and $150.

One thing to keep in mind when purchasing both items is to pay attention to the weight class that both can handle. For the rod, if you are after coho or similar sized fish only, go with a rod that's rated between 8 and 12/15lb test. If you are after spring, go bigger obvious, up to 12/15/17 to 20/25lb test. For the reel, make sure you have a model that will match your rod. Check the line capacity of the reel. If you are buying a rod that's rated 8 to 12lb test, a reel that has a capacity of 12lb test - 150/200 meters is sufficient enough. What you don't want to end up is a tiny reel for a thick stick, or a heavy reel for a light rod.

For casting, my recommendation is to do it in a piece of unfished water. Tidal water of Fraser is a good place to start, empty beach down around Spanish bank during winter is also good. Thumb your spool to control the spinning speed as the line goes out when you cast. Press onto the line to stop the spool just before the weight hits the water. Casting on lawn is good for flycasting, not ideal for baitcasting. A weight landed differently on hard ground and in the water.

Your type of gear employed should not represent your fishing skills of course, but using the right tools for the right waters is important. Spincasting reels like what you have right now have their advantages. I love using spincasting reels when spinning in still waters for coho, sometimes even chum. Any spinning reel would do actually when you're after coho. A Shimano Sidestab 3000 does the job just as well as an expensive reel. However, if you wish to spoil your hands, a Shimano Stradic or Shimano Biomaster (hint hint ;) ), or even a Stella is the way to go. :)

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2004, 11:40:07 AM »

Simon2, I don't know how new you are to fishing the lower main land so I'll give you the beginners run down of what you see out there.  

There are 3 types of reels that you find on local rivers: spin casting, bait casting, and centre pin.  Forget about the centre pin for now, typically its not a good starting outfit.

I own all 3 and they all can be used to fish the same water or tackle but obviously each one has its advantages.

A spinning reel is easy to cast, has a fast retrieve, but lacks virtually any line control.  It is great for casting light spoons, spinners and jigs.  Spnning reels hang under a rod and have a bail the is ether open or closed, this is why they not terribly good for float fishing.

Bait cast reels have medium retreive rates compared to spin reels but baitcasters have good line control.  They are great for float fishing due to the control and with practice are good for throwing small spinners spoons and jigs too.

When I go to the chehalis I have a spinning rod and a bait cast set up.  If you are primarily going to be float fishing, stick with a bait cast rod.  9-10.5 feet is a good range.  If you want to throw spoons and spinners on your bait caster too, stick to the 9 foot side...I find a short bait caster easier to cast the small spoons and spinners with.

I totally agree with fulcrum (for once  ;) ) if you are on a tight budget, get a good reel.  Good reels will be much better to fish: quality bearings mean easier casting, better free spool too and better drag components will also help you capitalize on those trophy fish!

Good luck.