Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vedder drowning  (Read 26938 times)

Drewhill

Re: Vedder drowning
« Reply #60 on: February 16, 2016, 04:01:08 PM »

This is a vest a buddy of mine wears. There's lots of places in the lower mainland that carry it (or used to). I know not everyone wants to take a PFD with them so this would be perfect

https://mustangsurvival.com//recreational/miv-10?division=recreation

leapin' tyee

• can't get enough
« Reply #61 on: February 16, 2016, 05:18:35 PM »

This is a vest a buddy of mine wears. There's lots of places in the lower mainland that carry it (or used to). I know not everyone wants to take a PFD with them so this would be perfect

https://mustangsurvival.com//recreational/miv-10?division=recreation

Q and  A from their website ...

Why are your Inflatable fishing vests not approved?
The MD1165 (Deluxe Inflatable Fisherman Vest) and the MIV-10 (Inflatable Fisherman Vest) do not carry approvals from
either Transport Canada or Canadian Coast Guard.

bobby b

« Reply #62 on: February 16, 2016, 06:41:03 PM »

From that same site ...

"The Fisherman's Vests while not approved, will provide the required buoyancy, when inflated, to keep the user afloat. The Inflatable Fisherman's Vests offer 16 lbs of buoyancy when inflated compared to 15.5 lbs of buoyancy in traditional, inherently buoyant, personal floatation devices. The standard in Canada for approved vests or suspenders type inflatable PFD's is 150 Newtons or nearly 34 lbs.
Our full line of Inflatable PFD's (excluding the Fisherman's Vests) are approved under UL 1180 with Canadian Addendum. These units offer 35 lbs of buoyancy when inflated."
« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 06:43:36 PM by bobby b »

arimaBOATER

« Reply #63 on: February 16, 2016, 10:16:56 PM »

So sad story indeed.
Just a few years ago there was an older couple from Britain I believe that were tourists  & the man fell into the Chilliwack R & was pinned under some logs. The poor wife could not do a thing.
Airplanes rivers oceans highways & bad weather on & on will always take lives.
Murphy law.
We do not have 9 lives.
Mind you bet some of you as myself could have easily been killed 10x but somehow we are still here.

jayeffdee

« Reply #64 on: February 17, 2016, 12:31:07 AM »

I knew Graeme well.

The last message he sent me was a picture of the tackle he was picking up: clusters, spinners, floats, a Bent Rods jig and a Gibbs croc spoon. He absolutely loved to be out on the river.

He was a genuine young man with a heart of gold - he was active in his community and volunteered his time to coach kids. We truly lost a gem.

I've abstained from making posts anywhere else, but I know well enough that Graeme would want people to learn from this. He was a very fit young man, an experienced angler and a strong swimmer - if this could happen to him, it could happen to anyone. Please, if you're on the river, mind yourself and wear a PFD.

243Pete

« Reply #65 on: February 17, 2016, 02:13:58 AM »

Very sad to read all this, thank you for sharing a little bit of info about Graeme. My condolences for friends and family.

I've had my own experiences and "knock on wood" have never been swept away current, I've had my close calls like dunking myself or slipping and banging a knee against a rock and tree.
I know of other friends who have been VERY lucky when they have been carried away down river, scary as hell cause from what they tell me its basically a total loss of control and you are pretty much at the mercy of the river.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #66 on: February 28, 2016, 04:25:23 PM »

The family of the young man has posted an ad looking for his belonging which was lost during the accident so it can be returned to them. The description is very generic, perhaps a waist pack? Anyway it has been two weeks so someone must have picked it up unless it is still in the water.

https://www.facebook.com/fishingwithrod/photos/a.377539272711.161655.78768862711/10153497473937712/?type=3&theater

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #67 on: February 28, 2016, 05:24:01 PM »

Oh man Rod, your last post really touched me. I felt the tears well up. I can't imagine and hope to never experience the pain and sorrow. I have a 19 year old who is an Electrician and every day I count my blessing when I hear his voice after work. My condolences to the family. This is a tough one.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #68 on: February 28, 2016, 08:18:42 PM »

Item is recovered and returned to the family now.

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #69 on: February 29, 2016, 12:02:45 PM »

Good to hear.  A tiny bit of closure can mean a lot for those effected.