Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vedder drowning  (Read 26932 times)

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
Re: Vedder drowning
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2016, 10:51:36 PM »

Very sad news indeed. It would have been a miracle to survive being swept down a roaring river that distance through all those rapids. RIP. A sobering reminder to play safe. The river is high and fast, right now. And us humans are no match for it. :'(

dave c

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2016, 11:36:21 PM »

Wow so sad.  My prayers for his family.  While this forum provides us with an outlet to express our passion for fishing, it sometimes gets heated, but the bottom line is we all share something in common.  A love for the outdoors, a passion that only us as fishermen will ever understand.  We all have lost a brother today.  Tight lines all and be safe.

Tangles

« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2016, 01:36:08 AM »

Very very sad news! Especially a younger fellow who had many years to fish ahead of him, RIP  :-[

« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 05:06:14 AM by Tangles »

Stewie

« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2016, 06:48:46 AM »

Very sad to hear.  We need to keep an eye on one another out on the river.

Twitchy

« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2016, 07:24:31 AM »

Very sad news indeed, I was up in that area yesterday and the water was pretty hairy, left before all this happened. We all need to be careful out there, at the end of the day it's just a fish, not worth your life. Thoughts for his family and friends.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2016, 09:44:42 AM »

Just got word that a young angler fell into the river at Allison and drowned.  :-\
Can someone please elaborate? I hope it is not someone we know.

No fish is worth your life. Wear a PFD at all times.
Even better, stay home when the river is raging.

My heart goes out to his family.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2016, 09:50:59 AM »

I just realized the unfortunate event has been talked about in the Chilliwack River Steelhead fishery thread.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2016, 10:38:45 AM »

Yes very sad indeed. A terrible loss for the young mans family and friends.

I'm not saying this would have saved this mans life, but I believe everyone who wears chest waders should wear a belt at all times when fishing as it slows down the water from filling up your waders. Once your waders fill with water you might as well have a lead weight attached. If you feel the need to wade in some dicey areas, wear a PFD.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2016, 11:32:10 AM »

Yes very sad indeed. A terrible loss for the young mans family and friends.

I'm not saying this would have saved this mans life, but I believe everyone who wears chest waders should wear a belt at all times when fishing as it slows down the water from filling up your waders. Once your waders fill with water you might as well have a lead weight attached. If you feel the need to wade in some dicey areas, wear a PFD.

X2

I had a close call many years ago on the Capilano. After losing my step down a steep trail and falling over the edge into the freezing angry river, I was very fortunate that the current literally pushed me to shore after going through a nasty chute. And also very fortunate that a fellow angler was standing on the bank and was able to help me drag myself out of the water.
I am a very strong swimmer (former water polo player), but that experience humbled me. I haven't fished the Capilano river since. And if I am ever to wade beyond knee depth, I make sure to wear a PFD.

Nobody ever thinks they will fall into the water on any given day. It just happens.
Be careful out there.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2016, 12:26:49 PM »

Drewhill

« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2016, 12:31:02 PM »

Would a PFD keep you above water if your waders fill? Has this ever been tested? A 200 pound person only weighs about 10 pounds in water and most PFDs have about 22 pounds of buoyancy so I wonder how much extra force/weight filled waders would add.

dobrolub

« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2016, 01:02:58 PM »

I wish the waders would have an inner inflatable ring around the waist, at the chest level above the belt. That would improve buoyancy and close off the leaks. It seems that would be an easy thing to add to the waders. 

Same goes for the jackets. Inflatable pockets should be added to the chest and arm  areas of the jacket. Placed correctly the pockets wouldn't even need to be large to keep a person safe.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 01:07:25 PM by dobrolub »

ShaunO

« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2016, 01:08:03 PM »

Would a PFD keep you above water if your waders fill? Has this ever been tested? A  person only weighs about  in water and most PFDs have about  of buoyancy so I wonder how much extra force/weight filled waders would add.

Technically yes but, that said, water filled waders would be neutrally buoyant and neither float or sink.  They are, however filled with several gallons of water that puts you at the mercy of the currents.  It's massively difficult to move wearing water filled waders while in the water or on shore. 

Always wear your wading belt, and make sure it's snug!!

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2016, 01:23:11 PM »

I wish the waders would have an inner inflatable ring around the waist, at the chest level above the belt. That would improve buoyancy and close off the leaks. It seems that would be an easy thing to add to the waders. 

Same goes for the jackets. Inflatable pockets should be added to the chest and arm  areas of the jacket. Placed correctly the pockets wouldn't even need to be large to keep a person safe.
Several problems especially on the jacket side.

One you need to be face up. Designing that would be tough.

Two you need to have serviceable cartridges.  Potentiallyrics this would prevent jackets from working as required in regards to waterproofing.  Also would need to seamlessly integrate them into the jacket in several locations, and have pulls.  Likely hydrostatic wouldn't work if it was a waterproof jacket.

Three durability on the jacket would be tough.  Need to put them in locations that don't have major wear with movement etc.

When worn properly a wading jacket and waders set up is exceedingly watertight.  I wasn't even wearing a true wading jacket, just my Columbia titanium with the drawstring tight.  Add waders, a belt, and the top drawstring on my simms tightened made for 5-10 seconds of no water when I fell in the Stave (bloody clay) but once that was over very little water entered before I got my footing again.  I actually think the water entered at my neck but I'm not sure.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2016, 01:53:26 PM »

Vancouver police marine squad has waterproof jackets with PFD built in. It's totally doable. If they have them I'm sure there's others using same application.