Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: fishing with blades and or lures?  (Read 3654 times)

silverslab

fishing with blades and or lures?
« on: September 27, 2008, 04:14:42 PM »

I have noticed over the past few years that I find myself using blades and or lures almost as often as I use roe when river fishing for salmon, I think this is probably because I get tired of smelling like roe and I am a little lazy about rebaiting my hook.  As a result I've been noticing the other epeople on the river who are using blades or lures more.             
My question would be if you are going to use blades or lures do you prefer to use a float or no float?
Myself I prefer to use a float and drift the same way I would if I were using bait but in a broader selection of water.  I did howerver have some success when not using a float last year on the chehalis.

Every Day

• Old Timer
Re: fishing with blades and or lures?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2008, 05:34:47 PM »

I prefer a float and dead drifting the blade. Colorados are my go to if roe isn't producing. I fish the run for around 20-30 mins with roe making sure I cover all the water and then switch to a blade, it pays off almost every time. If neither produce try going to different colours of wool (or blades) and then re-do the cycle, especially during salmon season when fresh fish are always moving in.

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2008, 05:43:28 PM »

u got to hold back a little to keep the belly of ur line at a minimum, and that little tension is perfect
Fish killer 101

tooler91

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2008, 10:28:36 AM »

Using a float with a Dick Nite has always proved successful for me.

BigCoho

• Roe Wizard
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2008, 05:57:27 PM »

I like to bottom bounce blades myself. I have hooked the majority of my fish this year on blades and no float. You get a nicer drift in the deeper fast water so it opens up more fishable water that most wouldn't attempt to drift with a float.

UFC

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2008, 07:48:55 PM »

To me it depends on the water you are fishing.
I have way more success without floats when fishing pools and slower moving water. In faster water, and slots, then fishing a blade under a float is preferred.

J.G.

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2008, 08:14:52 PM »

I prefer a float and dead drifting the blade. Colorados are my go to if roe isn't producing. I fish the run for around 20-30 mins with roe making sure I cover all the water and then switch to a blade, it pays off almost every time. If neither produce try going to different colours of wool (or blades) and then re-do the cycle, especially during salmon season when fresh fish are always moving in.

You sure did become an accomplished angler rather quickly....... ;)
« Last Edit: September 29, 2008, 08:18:18 PM by J.G. »

silverslab

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2008, 09:18:23 AM »

BIGCOHO,  when you are fishing with no float, is the style similar to spincasting (i.e, you are retrieveing the lure either across or over the run) or are you simply bpuncing it down the bottom with the current.  What I noticed on the Harrisson and the Chehalis last year is that casting a blue fox (for example) clean across the pool and upstream from you a little bit and then let it sink for 10 sec then reetreive it fairly quickly across the pool. I had some success with this method last year but had never really tried it prior to that and I dont see that technique used very often.

BigCoho

• Roe Wizard
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2008, 03:53:24 PM »

I am using my center pin casting upstream and letting it dead drift down stream while just keeping enough pressure to not constantly snag bottom. Adjust your lead size accordingly or your going to lose a bunch of gear and get frustrated rather quickly and give up on the idea all togeather. IMO the slower the blade spins, the more fish want to hit it. I pretty much fish it like a spoon and let the blade flutter

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2008, 09:58:32 PM »

Closer to the bottom a blade is the better. These salmon are hitting out of agression, the blades are suppose to imitate a small fry or other fish (trout) pecking eggs off the bottom. The fish (salmon) become territorial and will attack these smolts. Its good to hit bottom every now and then with a blade, and as long as you don't rip the water you shouldn't snag fish very often.

kingpin

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2008, 10:08:21 PM »

i usually fish shallower with a blade to avoid hangups.. some times i will cast far out and drag it across the run to entice a fish, and other times i will dead drift it...
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

J.G.

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2008, 04:58:32 PM »

Closer to the bottom a blade is the better. These salmon are hitting out of agression, the blades are suppose to imitate a small fry or other fish (trout) pecking eggs off the bottom. The fish (salmon) become territorial and will attack these smolts. Its good to hit bottom every now and then with a blade, and as long as you don't rip the water you shouldn't snag fish very often.

NOW THATS FUNNY! ::)