Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tips for Fishing with Roe  (Read 2651 times)

emac

Tips for Fishing with Roe
« on: September 09, 2008, 10:00:15 PM »

Unfortunately, I don't have the luxury of my own cured roe and have to resort to store bought.  I need to some tips...

Which stores sell the best quality roe?

How should I process it?  Is it better to buy it, tie it up in sacs, and refreeze for use the next day? Or should I be not be refreezing and instead putting it in the fridge?  If fridge, how long would it last?

I've bought it from Freds before and tied it up on the river but it seems to be too time consuming.

Also, any other tips for someone those who purchase roe would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
emac

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
Re: Tips for Fishing with Roe
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2008, 10:04:46 PM »

When I have to purchase roe I only buy from a tackle shop. If it is frozen keep it frozen until you are ready to use. No need to tie it in sacks unless you have bought water hardened singles and these do not need to be frozen. If you do buy the frozen stuff, once it is not frozen take it out of the borax that it came in and put it in fresh borax as this will help to prevent it from going mushy.The store have stuff from Berrys right now and this stuff seems pretty good.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

kodiak

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2008, 12:26:41 AM »

I like chum roe and tie it into sacs ahead of time. I find roe sacs a bit cleaner and faster to deal with when on the river, also last a bit longer. Just a matter of personal preference.

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2008, 12:31:41 AM »

Almost all cured roe in the LML sold at tackle stores and Gas Stations is from Berry's. It's decent stuff, not great, but it works. Get the procured double red colour. No need to tie it into bags. It is very time consuming and doesn't look natural, which is important if you are fishing slower water (coho). As Fly_Guy says, buy it frozen and leave it in the freezer till the day before you need it. Changing the roe from the borax it comes in is a great idea. Mushy roe is a pain in the a$$.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2008, 03:52:46 PM by DionJL »

Terry D

• Carp are sportfish too!!!
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2008, 09:58:49 AM »

Thanks for the advice guys, much appreciated.

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2008, 05:58:57 PM »

why is the roe I buy from freds get runny after a couple uses? shouldnt it be firmer?
The Bigger The Better!

canso

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2008, 07:17:53 PM »

you should re pack it with fresh borax before re freezing.

glx

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2008, 09:59:25 PM »

why is it mushy, because its crap.  It will do in a pinch if completely desperate. 

remember this stuff is cured by the boat load and thus the quality is poor-fair.

lowside

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2008, 10:07:19 AM »

Catch, cure and tie your own. A couple of buddy's and I spent an evening drinking beer and tying our own roe sacks, now we have enough to last us at least one season.