Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cheakamus  (Read 3259 times)

Dubya

Cheakamus
« on: November 26, 2004, 10:35:22 AM »

I'm planning to head out to the Cheakamus on Sat. for the very first time and try the more populated fishing spots that I was told shouldn't be too hard to find. I'm a bit wary of exploring on my own in an unfamiliar area especially after a scary quicksand incident at the mouth of the Mamquam last Saturday.

Can anyone tell me if the water in these areas is more suitable for drifting, chucking hardware or both. I was told to try the Bailey bridge area.

Thanks

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: Cheakamus
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2004, 12:07:56 PM »

Floatfishing yarn. Water will still be a bit high to be chucking hardware

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2004, 12:19:09 PM »

Ah, I see someone else has fallen into the infamous quicksand like me near the Mamquam mouth.... ;D Last week while fishing with Randog and Itosh up there, I decided to be superman and attempt to rescue this chum that was turned to the side in the shallows. Two steps before the fish, I sank up to my crotch. :o I turned and said to Itosh, "I'm stuck!" and what did he do? He just stood there and chuckled.... :o I then proceed to use my supernatural ability and levitated myself out of the situation. It sure took me by surprise when I stepped down and nothing was there though.

Anyways, Cheakamus... You can fish for salmon downstream of the Bailey Bridge. Float fishing with yarn will get you plenty of chum. Spoon fishing might produce the odd coho but the chance is fairly slim as the river is paved with chum (you'll see what I mean when you get there). There are waters for both types of fishing up there. Good luck.

Dubya

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2004, 06:02:23 PM »

Same place I went in. You've gotta teach me that levitation thing Maharishi Rod, 'cus with a crumbly bank and nothing to grab onto it felt like I was in concrete. A fellow fisher had to come help me out and even that was a tough go.
Did you happen to catch a glimpse of the bear carcass jammed on the log there? Quite the sight considering how rare it is to find bear remains of any kind in the wilderness.

Anyways, from the reports so far today, looks like it may be a no go situation for tomorrow.  Play safe out there!

Piscatoral Pete

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2004, 02:28:01 PM »

Just to clarify Rod's post and inform others.  You can fish for salmon anywhere on the Squamish, Elaho, Ashlu, Cheakamus, and Powerhouse Channel.  The boundries are for retention only, with the exeption of Hatchery Coho, they can be retained throughout the above noted areas.  I too was unaware that the regs changed until I just recently spoke with someone in the know.