Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

??which center pins do you guys prefer??

MILLER
- 11 (36.7%)
DRIFTER
- 2 (6.7%)
SILEX
- 3 (10%)
ISLANDER
- 9 (30%)
ANOTHER KIND..
- 5 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Author Topic: CENTER PINS  (Read 13923 times)

Oliver

Re: CENTER PINS
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2004, 06:23:44 AM »

There used to be some info here  ::)
« Last Edit: April 20, 2005, 06:23:07 AM by LimitKiller »

gumboots

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2004, 11:01:02 AM »

A reliable cheap pin reel is my  Vivtek / Eagle . not worried if  accidently dropped. close knockoff of a  Avon Supreme . gets me to where the fish are .

minnie-me

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2004, 12:41:29 PM »

The reel pictured is a JW Young Purist, many different models but all pretty much the same, they are an awesome reel, never had any problems with the spool falling off, sounds like a defect of either that particular reel or the fisherman. The JW Young Trudex reels are awesome, both the older ones and the Trudex II (newer models), however the older models don't have a ton of line capacity.
My take on the different pins are as follows:

1. Milner Kingfisher - awesome quality bushing reel, easy startup and light. Would be my first choice hands down, for what you get good value.

2. J.W. Young Purist - nice quality bushing reel, easy startup, light and aeriel style looks great, good value.

3. J.W. Young Trudex II - nice quality bushing reel, good value reel.

4. J.W. Young Trudex and Rapidex - good bushing reels but better suited for coho, small line capacity can be got for very reasonable $.

5. Avon Royal Supremes - Nice spinning reels, good bang for the buck, holds decent anount of line with easy startup due to bushings, looks are in the eye of the beholder on these ones :-X

6. Hardy Silex and Superba - Nice spinning bushing reels, I find them to hold too much line and are a little heavy for my liking, but can easily handle big fish. Good looking and hold their value well. Be careful you don't pay too much, some can be found at a reasonable price.

7. Islander - Nice spinning reel, bearings make for a slower start up, need weight or room to cast efficiently, dependable, durable and very nice looking. Can easily handle big fish.

8. Drifter - Nice spinning reel but too heavy

hifly

« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2004, 02:19:46 PM »

hey guys havent posted in a long time but since this centre pin thing came up i had to get a word in. 
I use a KP centrepin i baught it for 35 bucks at a pawn shop and cleaned it up nice and it works like a dream only thing i dont like about it is that it dosnt have a clicker so it can get anoying tryin to keep the line from spooling off. i ahvent seen alot of reels around like it it has spokes on the wheel and a wood rim its a classic.
i wa jsut wonderin if anybody else has her of KP before i wanna get a bit of info on the reel.

Thanks.         Hifly
<*))))>{

minnie-me

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2004, 02:36:11 PM »

The reels were imported from South Africa, heard the maker died and they are no longer available. Gone Fishin in Surrey has some.

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2004, 04:55:11 PM »

hahahahahahah  casey yup ur right made close to 250 bucks this halloween and my brother took my bike and got stollen soo gonna get money for that.. anyway ok i guess the drifter is off list and ya that would be great to get to use your center pin. wat are you doing friday morning?????? Come to the express game saturday hopefully pete will drop em.lol   post back. these are my 2 choices left is a milner king fisher, jw young purist. Tough choice
weeeeeeeeeow!

Randog

• Ultimate Sportfishing Adventures
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2004, 05:15:12 PM »

I've recently purchase a "Winter Run" centerpin made by Trophy and I'm very happy with it. It seems to be able to withstand the Cohos that I've been catchimg lately. It is a 4" model, a copy of a Milner Kingfisher. I own about 16 - 17 centerpins and if I had to narrow it down to a couple I would have to say

#1 - The Milner Kingfisher
 #2 - Hardy "Super" Silex

2:40

• Old Timer
  • Floss your teeth, not your fish!!!
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2004, 06:12:15 PM »

Im loving my 4.25 inch Grice & Young Avon reel.  Grampa brought it back from England for 20 bucks CDN years back.

Its getting old, and Im using a 4.25 inch Talisman reel to prolong the old boy's life. Dont like the Talisman as much as the clicker (which I dont often use anyway) is not positioned where the Avon's is.  On the Avon, I could put it on with the heel of my thumb from the same hand I use to hold the rod. The talisman is a bit heavier too.

Still a nice reel. 
I have a right to fish and a responsibility to treat this right as a privilege.

Ethics is your actions and behaviour when no one is watching.

A problem well stated is a problem half solved.

Since when was snagging just a question of ethics and personal choice?

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2004, 06:38:16 PM »

Look at my avatar!  Nuff said!

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2004, 07:05:48 PM »

I dont have one yet and was wondering if the Leeds version is worth having since I am on a budget and its under $200

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Riverman

• old fart
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2004, 01:58:22 PM »

Another case of ambiguity I think most people will tell you that they own various reels for various reasons I voted Islander because I think they can handle life a little rougher than some.But that is just my opinion.Generally the center-pin world is populated by people who buy tackle quite readily so they often seem to have quite extensive collections .This includes me much to the chagrin of my long suffering wife.
   One reel that I did not see mentioned is made by a guy in Hope I fished with a couple of old timers in early Sept.on the Chilliwack who had them.They have no commercial marking are hand,made come in bearing or bushing and were very smooth reels.The makers name was Campbell or something like it.Perhaps any one out there might enlighten me as I would sometime like to see what he has to offer.
Riverman