Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: ice fishing  (Read 7339 times)

leaseman

• on the water or in the bush...thats entertainment
ice fishing
« on: November 23, 2004, 08:14:00 AM »

How many of you people go ice fishing ??? It is sometning I have always wanted to try but never seem to have the time...I think it must be a blast!!!

lunker

Re: ice fishing
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2004, 08:49:49 AM »

oh the memories....

I used to ice fish often, back when I lived in Saskatchewan.  When things start freezing up in september/october and stay that way until march/april you don't have much of a choice.  There were lots of good spots, we fished mostly for whitefish(the big ones, not mountain whitefish...), pike, walleye, perch, and burbot.  It can be fun but if you don't have a shed or tent and you are out on a flat sheet of ice and snow in -30 with a wind chill that equals -45 it can get a bit interesting.  Because we went to different lakes all the time we would drill our holes, then lay down on the ice and put a sheet or jacket over your head and the hole.  This totally eliminated all reflection and you could see right to the bottom.  Got your blood pumping as you were jigging away and watching fish circling your lure.  Heeeeere fishy fishy fishy....

lunker

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2004, 12:51:55 PM »

yeah, that's the other way to do it :P

It's like camping, you can go camping with the buddies and a truckfull of beer and sit around the fire and get drunk, or you can get a nice quiet spot and enjoy the experience.  If guys are serious about catching fish, they drill several holes at different depths along a stretch of shoreline and fish each hole until they contact fish.  For this you need a light, portable tent or just something to throw over your head.  The trick is to find the fish.

blogspotter

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2004, 03:17:36 PM »

I used to go ice fishing when i lived in Edmonton.

Layed down on thick cardboard... blankets over you and over your head..

borring at first, but everyonce in a while u see a fish pass by, and its the COOLEST
feeling ever, you would see all the way to the bottom, jiggle the bait... wait sometimes for up to 20 minutes with no fish passing by or anything.
Gets really cold that way, but let me tell ya, when u see that fish slow down around your bait... and ultimately go for it, you get warmed up in a second!!

its great and i have to say i miss it.

Cheers

P.S. oh and driving ONTO the lake with an old Suburban and hearing the ice CRACK is amazing... you don't even know you're on water until u start drilling..

fishinfever

• fishing is REELality
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2004, 09:57:03 PM »

Used to go ice fishing on lake Simcoe in Ontario. built a hut that could sit 3 guys on each side ( never had more than 4 in it) .  Cut a hole in the floor that was 2'X4' and sides built up of plywood so can you lean on and put you rod on.  Drive out on the lake to a area we knew to have fish .  Pull out the chain saw (no chain oil) and cut 2'X4' hole thru  15 inches of ice. Push the slab down and away as far as could then current took it slowly. Push the hut over  the hole. After assembling ( All were carpenters )  Put in the propane heater . shovel the snow around hut to stop wind from driving in and let light thru ice. drop a line(s) down and enjoy the show of 30+ inch pike terrorizing the poor minnow on the end of your hook. Lots of fun. don't forget the antifreeze too. when things werw slow read a book of snooze. Great way to spend time when laid off from work due to cold weather and slow times.
Nothing like the sound of a expansion crack coming accross the lake. Sounds just like a train and somtimes would go right thru yur hut .  Really wakes you up.  Almost make me wish for 20+ below weather.  not.  need warm weather ice!

keithr

• If you want to know about me, see my website.
    • Our place in Mexico
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2004, 10:39:19 AM »

Years ago I drove my Triumph Spitfire out on a reservoir near Laramie, Wyoming, made a hole in the ice and fished out the window.  I got out of the car to clear the hole and the wind caught me and I started sliding across the ice, and I had visions of ending up on the other side of the reservoir when a rough patch of ice appeared and I managed to get stopped and crawl back to the car. 

Only thing I got was scared.

Pappy

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2004, 07:16:07 PM »

I'm new to this site..been lurkin for awhile and decided to join.  I usually ice fish once or twice a year up near Kamloops.   No crowds, but boy it can get cold!
Fish Till I Drop!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2004, 07:32:52 PM »

Welcome Pappy. Don't forget to introduce yourself. So what do you fish for when ice fishing around Kamloops...?

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2004, 08:07:48 PM »

I love ice fishing but havn't done it for a few years. I'll take my 8-year old boy this year though. Man, we used to ice fish on Summit and Box lakes near Nakusp many (20+) years ago. That was a blast.

My funniest memory was a trip on Box lake with my cousin. We drove thru the snow down to the lake in my 4x4. We started fishing about 200' from the truck. Soon after daybreak my cousin had to take a crap and he walked to the truck, got some toilet paper, then went over about 40' from the truck. He did his business and completed the paperwork and covered the pile with snow. He then walked back to continue fishing with me. Soon after a CO came down, almost on cue. We could plainly see him so we're looking directly at him. The CO looked around my truck then seen the footprints to this little pile. This CO is suspicious and thinks we've hidden some extra fish over there so he walks up and kicks the pile. All of a sudden he starts swearing, "you son-of-a-branch." We start laughing like hell we damn near piss ourselves. Now he's pissed and he starts stomping towards us. Just as he starts the slight descent to the lake he slips and lands hard on his back. We start howling so hard we're crying. Well the CO is not getting up right away. I run over to him and ask if he's OK or if he needs help - he mutters no. The poor guy has sh-t on his boot, he's just winded himself and now he's hurt his back. I offer to help him - he refuses because he's hurt and embarrassed. The barely made it back to his truck and didn't even wipe his boot off. Poor guy, I felt bad for him but it was a great show for us.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2004, 10:35:50 PM »

Now that's funny ! ;D ;D

lunker

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2004, 09:03:09 AM »

hey Rieber, when was the last time you fished box or summit lake(summer or winter...).  I have fished there a fair bit, mostly box lake.  My folks live in the Kotteneys near Nelson, and I lived there for a few years too.  Box lake is one of my favorite lakes in a tube, brookies and rainbow rising all around you.... never tried it in the winter though, if it is anything like when the ice is off it could be good.  How did you guys do when you used to fish it, and did you jig hardware or sink some bait?

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2004, 09:25:02 AM »

Last time at Box lake was probably 12 years ago. Summit was already closed for winter fishing even after they killed and restocked the lake. Summer time at Box we used to pull a Bolo gangtroll with wedding band and maggots. My biggest fish were rainbows in the 6-7lb range very slowly pulling a small trout hot shot (fat little wobbling plug). In the winter we always used 8# test line to a hookless Deadly Dick then a short leader to a #8 baitholder hook loaded up with maggots. Keep the hook about a foot off the bottom. Usually we just let the bait sit still and then occationally just tap the rod/stick to give some movement. The fishing would often be so fast that you didn't need to do the slow jig/twitch thing. That was fun - lots of brookies and rainbow. We used to fish Summit that way to - but the rainbow there were a lot bigger on average.

lunker

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2004, 09:51:19 AM »

Good stuff, thanks for the info.  When I fished it in the summers if I was not in my tube I would drop a canoe in the water and slowly troll small panther martins in the deeper spots, worked well for rainbow up to a couple of pounds.  Never tried a hotshot, might have to give it a go since it sounds like you got into some good fish with that method.  Good tip on using the spoon above the bait, I'll give that a try for sure.  Maybe next time I'm there during the winter I'll convince the old man to take the drive and try our luck.

tavin 02

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2004, 11:25:54 PM »

I head up to Loon Lake just past Cache Creek once a year, Great lake to ice fish,they have an ice fishing derby the first week of february. Its always fun to get a couple of the boys, no wives and alot of beer ;) together for a weekend of fishing through a 8 inch hole

stryker 07

• Piss on work,gotta go fishing
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2004, 07:33:02 PM »

exactly..........no wives........lol ;D ;D ;D
Please honey can i go fishing now???