Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Best Sushi in town  (Read 13653 times)

the_pict

• glenmorangie- fishing -triumph motorcycles
Re: Best Sushi in town
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2004, 06:17:12 AM »

bentei on broadway in burnaby very good  ;) 

Long_Cast

• Fish Smart
« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2004, 02:26:30 AM »

There are high quality Chinese/Korean owned and operated Japanese restaurants.  For example, Ichibankan Express on Broadway is run by Chinese people and they make very good sushi at reasonable prices.  The toppings are always very fresh and high quality. In my opinion, the worst ones are run by the Vietnamese. I just find Japanese owned and operated restaurants rather overpriced. A good point is Sushi House - I like their rice but the stuff inside the sushi does not justify the price you have to pay. Less quality and quantity than Ichibankan Express and it's slightly more expensive. Sushi House stuff is still very good, but it's no where near excellent.  I truly believe you can have quantity, but it must have quality too.  If you want truly authentic Japanese cuisine, you can always go to the restaurant at Nikkei Heritage Centre in Burnaby - they don't serve California rolls or other Westernized Japanese stuff.

fisherkingnigel

• Fishing is a passion...without it what would i do?
    • Tsurishop Japan-Authentic Japanese Fishing Tackle
« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2004, 02:33:40 AM »

Nikkei Heritage Centre in Burnaby

How is that place?

I saw their web and looked very cool.

Thanks,

Nigelman

Long_Cast

• Fish Smart
« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2004, 02:52:40 AM »

fisherkingnigel, I went to Nikkei only once and it was to the Japanese restaurant. The dishes are very high quality at a reasonable price. I never went back because they don't serve the Westernized stuff that I enjoy like California rolls.  Dinner for four will cost about 50 dollars including tips and it's authentic. The portions are very good too!  Although, I'd rather walk a couple of blocks to Sushi House and eat their stuff instead.

fisherkingnigel

• Fishing is a passion...without it what would i do?
    • Tsurishop Japan-Authentic Japanese Fishing Tackle
« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2004, 06:21:08 AM »

fair enough! I've eaten all the types of Japanese food since I've been here for 4 years now. Everyday something new finds it's way to my dinner/lunch plate that amazes me. Japanese food is sooo differnt too when you travel from prefecture to prefecture. My favorite things are the pickled vegetables that compilment rice and other foods.

Of course the way to cook fish is also astonishing!

I've made some recipies here in my forum.

http://p083.ezboard.com/ffishingtalkfrm9

ENJOY ;D

Nigelman

andy 1951

« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2004, 02:46:30 PM »

Hi - I'm new to this forum but couldn't resist contributing to this thread even though my only visit to Vancouver was 18 months ago.

My wife and I stayed at the century Plaza on Burrard and thoroughly enjoyed our visit to Oakda Sushi...can't remember precise address but it was only a few blocks away...about a storey off street level in a massive bunker of a building...didn't look great but sushi was superb....and enormous sized portions compared to what we normaly get in London UK

Andy.....(carp and pike mostly + 1 sturgeon trip to Columbia Gorge!!!!)