Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Best Sushi in town  (Read 13652 times)

fisherkingnigel

• Fishing is a passion...without it what would i do?
    • Tsurishop Japan-Authentic Japanese Fishing Tackle
Re: Best Sushi in town
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2004, 05:19:02 AM »

most people in vancouver (including myself) wouldn't be willing to pay $75 (US) for a couple of slices of toro or $500 for a plate of fugu (especially when there's a chance of dying from it).

I pay $5 CDN for 2 slices or TORO and FUGU is $25-$35 for a big plate of thinly sliced sashimi. I think you're talking about the high end of the table. 

The only thing that's dangerous about Fugu is the liver so as long as you remove it without damaging it you'll be fine. I've caught fugu and eaten them before with no problems. The local ladies showed me how to do it and that's what they told me. They've been eating these guys for 50 plus years of their lives. Of course we all know Japanese and their green tea so there's that to consider too!

Japanese eating their sashimi too quick??? what would be the alternative to the solution? Freezing it? The only thing that would do is remove some tape worms certainly not lead or other posionous properties. Yes Japanese eat more sushi then you can imagine but I'm sure getting stomach cancer has something to do with their stress at the work place and excessive working habbits. ::)

I didn't know Japan was the number one country for stomach cancer.

Nigelman
« Last Edit: November 22, 2004, 05:28:31 AM by fisherkingnigel »

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2004, 07:22:36 AM »

Perhaps also their drinking habits  ::)

The Gilly

• Old Timer
  • Let equity be the rule of our actions
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2004, 09:03:41 AM »

Its a little out of the way for ya, but I love Nagano sushi in Port Moody. Can't beat the quality.
Thanks.  My birthday is coming up and I'm having the wife take me for sushi.  She hates it ;D  (Raw stuff anyway)   Can anyone else offer up some good suggestions in the tri-cities area.  (That's Coquitlam/Poco/Port Moody for those of you who don't know).  I'm looking for a decent atmosphere for a group and obviosly good food.

leaseman

• on the water or in the bush...thats entertainment
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2004, 10:06:31 AM »

so does this mean we are all invited to your birthday Grumman ???

Long_Cast

• Fish Smart
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2004, 07:23:35 PM »

They should make make a commercial that goes like this...  this is your stomach... this is your stomach on sashimi.... (with images of tumours in the stomach) Don't eat sashimi. A message brought you by Mother's Against Sashimi Eaters.

Long_Cast

• Fish Smart
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2004, 07:46:24 PM »

One of the causes of stomach cancer is known to be from by bacteria that is found in raw fish.  It's the reason why I refuse to eat sashimi. Also, don't forget about parasites and worms that are very commonly found in sashimi. I've spoken to many doctors and nearly all of the refuse to eat sashimi. Lastly, The New England Journal of Medicine March 1, 2001 confirmed that green tea doesn't prevent stomach cancer for Japanese people.

TtotheE

« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2004, 11:24:01 PM »

The only thing that's dangerous about Fugu is the liver so as long as you remove it without damaging it you'll be fine.
Dude,  you need a licence specific to cutting up the Fugu in order to serve those little guys in Japan.  I think you're playing with fire  ;D

jackster

« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2004, 11:42:27 PM »

Ichiban on Thurlow.
Japone on 67th and Oak.
Seto in Richmond.

All Japanese own and operate. When it comes to sushi, bigger is not always better...

Steelhead King

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2004, 11:50:48 PM »

Maruwa @ Ironwood mall and the other one is on #5 & Cambie rd in Richmond, behind Dairy queen, can't remember the name.

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2004, 11:53:01 PM »

All Japanese own and operate. When it comes to sushi, bigger is not always better...

i agree. if sashimi is cut too thick,  i find, it radically changes the texture and flavour of the fish i'm eating.   the quality of soya and wasabi plays an important role also.

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2004, 12:01:25 PM »

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=53717
The above is a thread I started a while back on a Foodie Forum about the proliferation of so called 'Japanese' restaurants.

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2004, 12:06:35 AM »

Marco,  I believe the restaurant at #5 rd and Cambie is called "Kiyo"

Steelhead King

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2004, 03:55:15 AM »

Thanks Doug, yes its called Kiyo sushi... Its little pricy but its well worth it.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2004, 06:37:48 PM »

Agree! Quality outweighs quantity big time... Too often the Chinese/Korean operateed Japanese restaurants serve huge chunks of bad quality sashimi, major turn off.... :-\

LukeYVR

• I'm a llama lover..
« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2004, 02:33:20 AM »

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/ArticleNews/TPStory/LAC/20041113/GOLDMEDAL13/TPEntertainment/?query=Tojo

And in Vancouver, the normally mild-mannered Hidekazu Tojo of the famed Tojo’s Restaurant started swearing onstage and flipping his middle finger at organizers in front of 900 guests when he was beat out by Lumière’s Rob Feenie, C Restaurant’s Robert Clark and Vij’s Vikram Vij, who won gold, silver and bronze respectively. 

Could not resist posting this..
LOL