Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Best Sushi in town  (Read 13654 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Best Sushi in town
« on: November 20, 2004, 01:23:15 PM »

I'm wearing my gold chain as I type this.... 8) What are you talking about, they've been advertising on the main page since May. I guess you don't read my articles..... ;D ;D

Speaking of Tojo, we were talking about that the other night. You go there a lot right? The last couple of years I have been really disappointed by the quality of most Japanese restaurants in Vancouver. What's so good about Tojo? Also any other recommendations?

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
Re: Best Sushi in town
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2004, 02:20:08 PM »

Yup I remember it now.
Funny thing the Bent Rods banner disappeared from this page for a while now it's back-funny thing that.... 8)

aquaboy24

• Old Timer
  • Nuclear Fishin'
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2004, 02:30:48 PM »

PLace up in Westview shopping Center in North Van....in the detached building where the McD's is....it has the freshest sushi I have ever had. I mean, the tuna, and mackerel, and all other things are so darn fresh...its just SOOOOOO good. I rate it as my #1 place.

and I have done Tojo's too
You don't make friends with salad.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2004, 04:48:21 PM »

Had lunch at the Tsunami Japanese restaurant before the Western Conference Final last Sunday. Awesome food.

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2004, 05:10:49 PM »

Takumi Sushi - North Road and Cameron  Bring $$$  ;D

Jonny 5

• Old Timer
  • Almost the holiest fisher that ever was!
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2004, 05:24:33 PM »

Speaking of Tojo, we were talking about that the other night. You go there a lot right? The last couple of years I have been really disappointed by the quality of most Japanese restaurants in Vancouver. What's so good about Tojo? Also any other recommendations?

The chef claims to have invented the dynamite, and california rolls.  Thats pretty cool.  Plus the sushi is at least 10X better than most, and only twice as expensive.  Worth it once in a while.

Hey, you should take your lady friend there  ;)

Jon out

mci

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2004, 05:39:31 PM »

If you can afford Tojo's it is hard to beat, but I prefer Tama in Van or Osaka in Deep Cove.

Muddler

• Tight Lines!
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2004, 05:42:08 PM »

Its a little out of the way for ya, but I love Nagano sushi in Port Moody. Can't beat the quality.

summersteel

• Old Timer
  • Nic nic.
    • citycentermassagetherapy
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2004, 07:49:55 PM »

Rod, try Nishi's on Robson. Its across from that awefull Tsunami sushi, upstairs. My Japanese friends love it.  Also Shabusan on Burrard is Steely Ryu's and my favourite, all you can eat fresh sushi at lunch- $12.  Across from CTV.     BP
Fish on!

Long_Cast

• Fish Smart
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2004, 08:33:57 PM »

If you want fresh, clean, quality sushi at a reasonable price, I recommend Ichibankan Express which is across the street from Tojo's. I like the fact that at Ichibankan, you can pick and choose the premade Sushi/California rolls that are stored in plastic containers. I've eaten at Ichibankan Express over 20 times and the food never gave me diarrhea - though, I only eat non-raw sushi like California rolls. This place has high cleanliness standards.

I also recommend Sushi House which is located on Kingsway in Burnaby. Sushi House is a genuine Japanese sushi restaurant. Japanese tourist come to eat at this small takeout style restaurant and come out satisfied. Although, I find Sushi House's California rolls and portions are way too small. Sushi House does use authentic sushi rice for their sushi that are made the real way. On the plus side, Sushi House is much cheaper than Tojo's.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2004, 08:59:15 PM by Long_Cast »

Oliver

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2004, 06:14:25 AM »

I'm not sure how this pertains to the Islander Reel banner but, the Tokyo Grill in down town Chilliwack has some good stuff in there  8) At least I think so  ;D What ever you do, dont eat at the Kitami in Harrison  :-X

flyfisherman

• addicted to flyfishing
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2004, 02:40:10 PM »

mmmmm Sushi, your all making me hungry ;D
Been a few years since I went out for sushi, Koji Res.on Hornby rolls up some nice ones, they have Ahi,Yellowfin tuna and Bluefin. it's made fresh right in front of you while sipping on Sake at the sushi table.
   I make my own now, it's fairly easy once one gets the hang of it. Saves $$ and you make it way you like. :)
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles

fisherkingnigel

• Fishing is a passion...without it what would i do?
    • Tsurishop Japan-Authentic Japanese Fishing Tackle
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2004, 04:13:36 PM »

After coming from Japan to Vancouver and eating sushi I was not very impressed with what I used to think was good sushi. I went to two places in Burnbay and Van and found the same consistencys......... large N.America type portions of raw fish. Sashimi strips are supposed to be small and thinly cut. Instead the chefs are korean or chinese and really have no clue how it should be really cut. Also most sushi is so boring and has nothing new to offer that we haven't seen before. How about blow torched salmon with the edges just barely cooked or shrimps cut so live they still twitch. I know that's the high end of sushi but that's something you just wouldn't see in Van.........maybe?

Of course when you say sushi are you refering to makai rolls/fish on rice or sashimi?

My point is most of the sushii I've eaten in van is ok but found the portions way too big with the emphasis being on size of portions not quality of the cut or fish.

I would like to recomend one sushi place that have eaten that makes good makai rolls and that's king sushii in N.West.

Nigelman :D

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2004, 09:38:58 PM »

most people in vancouver (including myself) wouldn't be willing to pay $75 (US) for a couple of slices of toro or $500 for a plate of fugu (especially when there's a chance of dying from it).

As talented as the Japanese are, i've heard they've got the most cases of stomach cancer than anywhere else in the world...can it be because they eat their sashimi too fresh? ???

chronic

• Don't eat $hit
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2004, 01:48:10 AM »

Samurai sushi on Cambie, just across the street from Oakridge mall. the peices are twice as big as normal and about the same price on average. the rolls are MASSIVE. I spend 10 bucks on a combo and im done. It's a small place, only about 3 or 4 tables but everyone takes-out. Oh and don't be surprised if you see the lineup going outside the door.