Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fishing and your ego  (Read 8063 times)

clarki

• Old Timer
Fishing and your ego
« on: September 07, 2012, 10:04:20 PM »

Admit it. How much does fishing feed your ego? 

When fighting a fish, how often do you steal a quick glance to see who is watching you play it?

How often is the real motive behind your fishing reports to affirm your status as a skilled angler? Have you ever posted the same fishing report across multiple websites?

When you go into a tackle shop, do you make an effort to ensure the salesperson knows that you aren't a rookie and that you know a thing or two about the sport.

Is any of your fishing attire, or equipment, for show or status?

Why do you really post pictures or YouTube videos?

How often do you hesitate asking a question online because it might contradict the status that you are trying to project?

What do you want your online handle to convey about you?

Guilty. Although I fight my ego, I am guilty of some of these.  If you were to truly examine your motives, what about you?

(Sometimes when I fish, I mull. Today I was fishing and mulling :) )

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
Re: Fishing and your ego
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2012, 10:53:26 PM »

Interesting topic. In the many years I have been on these forums I dont recall a post like this.

I can answer this truthfully being a veteran of these forums. Years ago I would say yes I posted many reports and on multiple forums. Now I rarely post reports. I think I am just getting older and have pretty much seen everything I can see on these forums. Many posts have been repeated over and over again. Now I would just rather help someone who needs help.

I also am one of those anglers that just has a horseshoe up his butt. I have luck. Ask any of my regular fishing buddies and they will affirm this. So I dont need to brag and I dont claim to be better than anyone else. I just have fun now. So busy with family, work etc that when I get a chance to fish I just want to have fun and relax. I do it more to socialize now than the fishing actually.

This does not mean I dont want to get better as I have always been a person that wants to learn and get better. Why not learn and have more success. I am really enjoying Rod's ( from Bent Rods ) videos on "how to" I can always pick atleast one thing from each of his videos that is new to me. Or even refresh what I knew and forgot.

I do post some pictures on Facebook but they are usually pictures of me with my family fishing or vacations that just happens to include some fishing. This topic could be very interesting....

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2012, 11:01:00 PM »

Interesting topic. In the many years I have been on these forums I dont recall a post like this.

I can answer this truthfully being a veteran of these forums. Years ago I would say yes I posted many reports and on multiple forums. Now I rarely post reports. I think I am just getting older and have pretty much seen everything I can see on these forums. Many posts have been repeated over and over again. Now I would just rather help someone who needs help.

I also am one of those anglers that just has a horseshoe up his butt. I have luck. Ask any of my regular fishing buddies and they will affirm this. So I dont need to brag and I dont claim to be better than anyone else. I just have fun now. So busy with family, work etc that when I get a chance to fish I just want to have fun and relax. I do it more to socialize now than the fishing actually.

This does not mean I dont want to get better as I have always been a person that wants to learn and get better. Why not learn and have more success. I am really enjoying Rod's ( from Bent Rods ) videos on "how to" I can always pick atleast one thing from each of his videos that is new to me. Or even refresh what I knew and forgot.

I do post some pictures on Facebook but they are usually pictures of me with my family fishing or vacations that just happens to include some fishing. This topic could be very interesting....
Wait to you get to your 70th year like me and you will think a lot different again. I am just happy to be able to get to the river, of course my staff helps too. ;D ;D Also you will not even worry much about what the first poster on this tread talks about. ;D

cohoaaron

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2012, 09:26:52 AM »

Hahaahaa! Some of those blew my mind how accurate they were! ESPECIALLY the tackle store one!

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2012, 10:27:47 AM »

Fishing is all about pleasuring myself.

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2012, 11:22:05 AM »

Fishing is all about pleasuring myself.

???

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2012, 11:29:26 AM »

I use to be pretty bad I would say for the report posting across multiple sites, etc. I'm not sure that it was to feed my ego though, more just about being super excited for my first year and finally catching fish. Now a days when I post reports (and I rarely do) it is honestly to give people a read. I very much enjoy reading other peoples reports when I have nothing to do or times where I can't get out fishing for some reason. People like Chris with the detail he puts into his reports are what I like to read a lot of the time, and I hope by throwing reports up I'm returning the favour.

Same goes for posting pictures. I really like taking pictures. They don't even need to be of fish, a lot of times I'm fooling around with my camera taking picts of scenery, casting, etc more than I am actually fishing, especially when exploring a new area. I do post all of my pictures on Facebook, but don't post many online any more either. I just like being able to look back and relive that day. Kinda the same thing with videos, the fishing ones I've made I will watch quite often in the off season to get me pumped for steelhead, coho, whatever it may be.

Last ones... well never have really thought about looking around, although I am sure I do it sub consciously. Any one who knows me would definitely say my gear is for fishing and not show (I'm not into spending money). When I go into tackle stores I rarely talk with people because I know what I am looking for generally. And lastly, my forum handle Every Day was to reflect that when I first joined up, I literally fished every day  ;D

All in all, we all feed our ego. I am definitely as guilty of it as any one else.

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2012, 11:40:05 AM »

i'm the opposite...i don't like giving away my fishing spots nor do i like bringing attention to myself (on the river)...i'll give the odd report to inform fellow fishers of the water condition, but in reality i think i've only posted one photo of a coho many years ago.

i will admit though i like to compare notes with the boys at berry's bait and tackle because you can never know it all....they've actually helped me throughout the years with different gears and techniques.

zabber

• Sometimes I fish, sometimes I catch
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2012, 05:03:40 PM »

i'm the opposite...i don't like giving away my fishing spots nor do i like bringing attention to myself (on the river)...

x2. I fish mainly for the thrill of getting into some hard fighting fish, and to enjoy the outdoors; getting something tasty for the Q is a welcome bonus. I could care less about who's around and prefer having the lake or stream to myself.

I report -- honestly -- on the few times per year I go fishing but it is not to stroke my ego; I'm simply telling people roughly where the fish are biting and on what gear so that they may have similar experiences, if they're so inclined (or avoid them altogether :P). I also post reports in hopes that others will "return the favour" -- as Every Day does -- so that I can improve my experiences. I post pictures because I feel they enhance a report.

Despite novice and intermediate anglers calling me a "master angler" I don't let it go to my head; I know I'm far from pro and even if I was, arrogance is unbecoming.

I won't spend an extra dime for show purposes.

Of course, I'm a fairly humble person to begin with so maybe that explains it.

Cheers
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 05:05:19 PM by zabber »
A rig out of water catches no fish.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2012, 05:06:43 PM »

I rule  :P  :P

that is all LOL
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

mikeyman

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2012, 05:50:16 PM »

Anything you can do I can do better!

In your face I caught more and bigger fish than all of you

whaaaa hahahahahahaha

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2012, 06:05:04 PM »

Ego definitely plays a role when it comes to fishing.  I like sharing my successes with others both to share the enjoyment of the success, and also partly because I like it that others know I am proficient at angling.  I take a measure of pride in being known as a fisherman by my friends, and as a decent fisherman by my fishing peers.  No problem with that. :)

That said, I write reports PRIMARILY because I have always enjoyed reading other's reports.  I crave reading about fishing trips, both about the fishing itself and the small details that make going fishing so enjoyable, such as an on-the-water macgyver-style repair, or seeing a bear, or making a new friend.

Ego?  Yes.  But it's a small part of the big picture, at least for me.  :)

Good question, clarki.

StillAqua

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2012, 06:10:00 PM »

All forum members who have avatars that are pictures of them holding large fish are suspect of being raving fishing egomaniacs..... ;D ;D ;D

I may be weird, but the last thing I want when I'm fishing is an audience. Not just because I don't want them to see me slip on a rock and land on my arse with pole in the air. But I love the solitude that I can't get at home or work. And I let 90% of my fish go so I often don't have any proof to back up any bragging.

CohoMan

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2012, 06:13:43 PM »

For me, my report is short and to the point to tell fellow fishermen what is happening around our rivers....

paddy

• Fishing near Tamarindo
    • My Personal website
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2012, 06:19:18 PM »

Most of the time I am fishing alone or with a close friend.  It's not about ego, but about spending time doing something that allows me to escape from the daily grind and stresses of life.  I really hate fishing around other people.

As for posting, I look to the discussion boards for information and post back fishing reports as a courtesy; like giving back to the community.

Fishing is to each his own.