Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: some flies i need help with!  (Read 3159 times)

koifish

some flies i need help with!
« on: October 26, 2013, 05:32:43 PM »

i have these flies i dont know which fish these are for so can you guys help me with that? lol
what are the black flies for ? and the rest will the work on the vedder thanks

Funeral Of Hearts

Re: some flies i need help with!
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2013, 10:29:51 PM »

Most of those are trout flies. I see doc spratley, various chironomids, bloodworm, and dragon fly nymphs.. to name a few..

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2013, 06:17:43 AM »

Those are trout flies, the black ones are leeches, and while some fish on the Vedder might grab one thinking it is something else, you would be better off getting flies specific for salmon (wooly buggers, muddler minnows, Christmas trees, etc.) many of which will also catch trout in Lower Mainland lakes. Save those flies for your next trip to the lake.
Not all those who wander are lost

TacoChris

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2013, 09:31:39 AM »

As said most look like trout flies. The hooks will be to light for the Vedder if you are targeting salmon or stealhead the hooks will break or open up easily. Fly hooks designed for salmon are much heavier gauge.

It is hard to tell but the one fly on the bottom left side of the box with the white wing and red butt may on a salmon hook. Many are painted black

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2013, 02:26:51 PM »

that bottom fly with the white wing looks like its tied on a Tiemco 7999. probably a #6 being that its pretty small.
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

koifish

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2013, 11:21:19 AM »

I do have salmon flies I found these and wondered what they were for thanks!

Ian Forbes

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2013, 01:07:51 PM »

As others have already said... Those are trout flies to be used mostly in lakes. Many flies cross borders when it comes to what fish will eat. A lot depends on the time of year and the location in question. Coastal trout tend not to be so selective as interior trout in lakes, because coastal lakes are not generally as productive. There are exceptions of course, and that is usually in the Spring when trout lock into feeding on chironomids. Many flies can represent various forms of trout food: leeches, mayfly nymphs, dragonfly nymphs, damselfly nymphs, and other aquatic items. When there is a BIG hatch of some item then trout tend to be selective to that item during the hatch. However, afterwards they go back to feeding on what is available. Cutthroat trout tend to be more opportunistic than rainbow trout, and they are more likely to feed on other small fish.

It really helps to study the various aquatic items that trout feed on, and the various life stages of those items. Surface fishing with flies tends to have a very narrow window from an angler's perspective.

One of the main reasons why a Wooly Bugger (in all its various forms) is so effective and popular is because it can represent any one of a number of items. It also looks alive, and that alone attracts predatory fish.

There are many, many books on the subject and the field is too diverse to explain in just one comment.

Salmon and steelhead flies are an entirely different subject. Although steelhead will sometimes take trout flies, it is better to use flies designed specifically for them... and with bigger, stronger hooks. Salmon and steelhead do not basically "feed" when they hit fresh water, so most of the flies used for them are attractor patterns for reactionary strikes.

koifish

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2013, 01:29:22 PM »

Thanks man! I appreciate it

I know that there trout flies but I do have salmon flies also
Since I'm go lazy to google this but steelhead do go back to ocean right ? But is it possible to catch them in the ocean?
I'm trying to study why salmon die after spawning trying to learn why they die
This is what I thought at first because when they hatch they start making there way to oceans but since they stay in ocean for a few years they adapt to the ocean saltwater as when they enter rivers freshwater they start dieing that's why they change colours since there stressed and they mate there and die because the bumble bee grouper as a juvi can adapt to brackish water but when older they need to be in saltwater lol sry for my grammar

Ian Forbes

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2013, 10:18:49 AM »

You have to understand that trout and salmon do not see and understand things as us humans do. They don't have hands and they use their mouth to test things to see if they are edible. They eat to survive and not for entertainment. They are programmed to eat as much of what is available at any given time. When full they stop eating until they are ready again. They can exist for long periods without eating. Weather, pressure systems and climate affects their eating habits.

Trout do not interpret our fly patterns as we see them. They are only interested if it is alive and edible. To a trout our carefully tied fly patterns are only a jumbled up combination of requirements... Is it the right size, colour combination and approximate shape. And, is it in the right location and acting like a natural.

Most live insects and items that trout feed on are a combination of mottled natural colours that match their surroundings: olives, browns, greens, yellow and black. That is why there are so many fly patterns that look different to us but are the same to the fish. I've done many different experiments to prove this to myself. What others choose to believe is entirely up to them.

Here are some pictures of natural insects and crustaceans that are common trout food.
Natural scud

scud immitation

Dragonfly nymph

Dragonfly immitation

Damselfly nymph

Damselfly nymph immitation

Mayfly nymphs

Mayfly nymph immitations