Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Somebody can tell me how to connect a leader to a fly line ?  (Read 3499 times)

bruce

Somebody can tell me how to connect a leader to a fly line ?
« on: August 18, 2007, 01:33:35 PM »

Thanks

bruce

Re: Somebody can tell me how to connect a leader to a fly line ?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2007, 01:58:37 PM »

and usually how far do you cast ?

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer

Jamison Jay

• shh....I'm hiding
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2007, 05:55:57 PM »

For statring out, play with about 20ft of line out of the tip, try and make false casts keeping it in control and watch your loop shape, as you get better lengthen the amount out, don't bother practicing with more than 40ft of line, it's not needed. Without hauling the line, 40-50ft casts are just fine.

bruce

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2007, 08:55:04 AM »

Thanks for all answers.

mastercaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2007, 05:09:53 PM »

If you use the nail knot method tie on a piece of butt section close to the diameter of the flyline (20 -25 lb. mono.) about 18 in. long, then bloodknot your leader to that.  When you need to replace your tapered or built up leader you just re-attatch it to the butt section.  That piece of butt section will eventually get shorter but usually when it gets too short to bloodknot another leader to it, it's pretty much the time to retire the flyline.

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2007, 02:20:04 PM »

I use about 12" of 30lb test, I nail knot it to the fly line and then put Knot sense on it...On the end of the 30lb section I tie a perfection loop. Then I just use a loop to loop connection between the butt section and your leader..works great at turning over your flies and lasts pretty good as well.

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2007, 10:13:56 PM »

The easiest method is go and get yourself a Fast Tie knot tyer. A little practice with this tool and you will be able to a nail knot in seconds: even while fishing in the pooring rain.
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2007, 09:55:35 AM »

I use about 12" of 30lb test, I nail knot it to the fly line and then put Knot sense on it...On the end of the 30lb section I tie a perfection loop. Then I just use a loop to loop connection between the butt section and your leader..works great at turning over your flies and lasts pretty good as well.

That is exactly what I do as well except I do a double nail knot just incase. The loop to loop works really well.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

freakonaleash

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2007, 09:12:34 PM »

The easiest method is go and get yourself a Fast Tie knot tyer. A little practice with this tool and you will be able to a nail knot in seconds: even while fishing in the pooring rain.

Honestly, i think those things are kind of stupid.

You want to nail knot ? Get a ballpoint pen, cut a small piece of the tubing that doesnt have ink in it. There you go. Carry a 1" section of tubing with you, its easy and free. Theres no sense getting one of those fast know tiers IMO, you might as well just learn the knot