Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fisherman saves girl, 8, after she falls into river  (Read 3335 times)

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
Fisherman saves girl, 8, after she falls into river
« on: May 21, 2008, 11:22:48 PM »

Susan Lazaruk
The Province

Wednesday, May 21, 2008

An eight-year-old girl, swept away by the swift-moving South Alouette River while her dad raced along the bank trying to save her, was rescued by a "hero" fisherman.

"She was moving, the current's fairly brisk," said RCMP Ridge Meadows Staff-Sgt. Alex Bodden. "Her father was chasing her on foot."

The fisherman, angling downstream, was able to catch the girl as she floated by face-down and unconscious Sunday. "She's lucky. If she got past that point, it would have been a long time before the father could have reached her again," said Bodden. "I don't know if he ever would have."

He estimated the next access point to the river was 10 minutes away by foot.

The little girl, who was playing with others near her Maple Ridge home on Fern Crescent, was treated overnight in hospital and has fully recovered, said Bodden. The family isn't ready to speak to the media and their names weren't released. "[The father] does want to thank all the people involved in the rescue," said RCMP spokesman Dan Herbranson.

The fisherman, identified only as a 37-year-old Coquitlam man, wasn't available for comment, but police are calling him a hero. "He threw himself in harm's way," said Bodden. "He had no real idea of what the consequences were. If he lost his balance on the rocks, it's always a peril."

Bodden said the incident will be reviewed to see if the girl's saviour is eligible for a bravery award.

He said the near tragedy is a reminder to stay away from rivers, especially during the spring thaw and runoff when they're particularly fast-moving and the water is high and cold.

slazaruk@png.canwest.com

© The Vancouver Province 2008

I guess it was a sick day for the fisherman and he didn't want his name out there for the boss to see :-\
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
Re: Fisherman saves girl, 8, after she falls into river
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2008, 11:36:41 PM »

I guess it was a sick day for the fisherman and he didn't want his name out there for the boss to see :-\
LOL!  Good to see fishermen in positive light!  Good on him!

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2008, 12:31:37 AM »

That's quite a catch. Kudo to the fisherman.

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2008, 08:11:25 AM »

Wow he definatley was a hero. But on another note I guess the little girl was lucky this fishermen was breaking the regs as the river is closed to fishing in that area until july 1. I guess that's why he did not want his name released.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2008, 10:46:26 AM »

Wow he definatley was a hero. But on another note I guess the little girl was lucky this fishermen was breaking the regs as the river is closed to fishing in that area until july 1. I guess that's why he did not want his name released.

I knew there was something fishy about that. Maybe they were below 216th. That Spring closure thing is easy to forget as well.  ???

Geff_t

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2008, 10:55:33 AM »

I knew there was something fishy about that. Maybe they were below 216th. That Spring closure thing is easy to forget as well.  ???

Well there is no fern cresent below 216th and the only area you can fish down there is the canal area and no one down there lives on the river. The area they are talking about is between hot rocks and Maple Ridge park which has residents all along there.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

testo84

• officially a hardware addict
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2008, 11:16:10 AM »

why always think " critically " about breaking rules etc etc most importantly he is a hero and a hero is a hero
hardware == fish

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2008, 11:18:01 AM »

I wonder if the Hero got a fine.  :-\

Geff_t

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2008, 11:20:53 AM »

I wonder if the Hero got a fine.  :-\

I sure hope not.

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2008, 01:34:44 PM »

why always think " critically " about breaking rules etc etc most importantly he is a hero and a hero is a hero

haha wenas...That one is a tongue twister!

Im glad the girl made it out alive!
weeeeeeeeeow!

Geff_t

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2008, 06:08:03 PM »

Talked to someone today that knows the family and they had said that if this fishermen was not there it definatley would of been a terrible outcome. When she fell in she went fully under and when she came up she was already floating face down.