Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Closed-pen fish farming  (Read 7507 times)

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
Closed-pen fish farming
« on: May 17, 2007, 05:59:28 PM »

Closed-pen farming
Impenetrable barrier needed to keep wild stocks safe and healthy, provincial panel says

Scott Simpson
Vancouver Sun

Thursday, May 17, 2007

CREDIT: 
Fish farm in B.C.

British Columbia's salmon farming industry needs profound, fundamental changes that reflect the need to protect native Pacific salmon, says a controversial new report presented to the provincial government on Wednesday.

The legislature's sustainable aquaculture committee says the risk of "serious or irreversible harm" to wild salmon, particularly if they are hit with sea lice infestations in the vicinity of fish farms, makes it urgent for government to force the industry to overhaul its farming practices.

In particular, the report recommends a "rapid, phased transition" away from conventional open-pen sea farming to closed containment pens that provide an impenetrable biological barrier between wild and farmed salmon.

The report was developed over 18 months by an NDP-led committee that calls on B.C., the federal government and the aquaculture industry to finance and conduct a full-scale closed containment project.

The committee also recommends that within five years, all B.C. salmon farms on the Pacific coast switch to closed systems.

That aspect of the report, which would make B.C. the first and only jurisdiction in the world to adopt the technology, prompted all four Liberal members of the committee to vote against the report in a meeting held Wednesday morning.

However, the report was formally approved because all five NDP members of the committee, including chair Robin Austin (NDP-Skeena), voted in favour of it.

Salmon farmers don't like the closed pens because they cost more to operate than passive open net pens, and studies so far have shown that the fish are smaller at maturity.

The committee studied other alternatives, such as land-based salmon farming, but said that method is not practical for commercial-sized operations.

The report says there is "no consensus" in the scientific community about the degree of potential harm that fish farms could cause wild salmon.

But it adds that there is a "preponderance of evidence" that makes it necessary to "act immediately."

"We cannot wait for total consensus," says the report. "We are the guardians and trustees of the environment and therefore cannot place at risk our wild salmon population nor the overall marine environment, both of which are still the envy of the world."

The report also calls on the province to return to local communities the right to approve or reject siting of new fish farms and to repeal sections of the government's right to farm legislation that do not allow local governments to block approval of new farms.

In addition, the report calls for a system of fallowing, or short-term farm closures, in order to eliminate active salmon farming operations from the vicinity of migratory routes for young salmon.

The report says a moratorium on new fish farm licences should continue until the transition to closed-pen systems is complete, and a permanent moratorium on industry expansion should be imposed on the north coast.

It also urges government to abandon the notion that the industry can be self-policing and instead, empower its own investigative staff to "conduct random checks without any notice to any fish farm operators."

There are 130 licensed salmon farms in B.C., 60 to 80 of which are active at any given time, according to the report.

ssimpson@png.canwest.com

- - -

You can now listen to every Vancouver Sun story on our new digital edition.

Free to full-week print subscribers or sign up for a 7-day free trial.

www.vancouversun.com/digital.

© The Vancouver Sun 2007
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: Closed-pen fish farming
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2007, 06:46:50 PM »

I doubt the government would act on the recommendations given the NDP members voted in favour while the Liberal members voted nay.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2007, 07:58:39 PM »

I have been following the story on Global News. Its obvious that farmed salmon is causing the sea lice and the diminishing wild salmon stocks. If they are going to allow fish farming it needs to be done inland IMO. They say that they have a new type of feed called slice but its obviously not working as their is still sea lice on the fish. These fish farmers are only concerned about the mighty dollar and dont care about our wild salmon. Time for changes immediately.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Sandhead

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2007, 08:16:13 PM »

Farmed Fish Suck.
Fishing Farming is Evil and shortsighted
Ain't no HO like a COHO

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2007, 10:23:46 PM »

I have been following the story on Global News. Its obvious that farmed salmon is causing the sea lice and the diminishing wild salmon stocks. If they are going to allow fish farming it needs to be done inland IMO. They say that they have a new type of feed called slice but its obviously not working as their is still sea lice on the fish. These fish farmers are only concerned about the mighty dollar and dont care about our wild salmon. Time for changes immediately.

It is not new feed it is how they feed them. The feed is the same but now there is someone that watches the feeding from a underwater camera that is lowered to the bottom of the pen. When the fish stop feeding and the feed startes to fall threw the bottom of the pen before the time of the auto feeder is up they shut the feeder off. They say that since they have been doing this the sea lice is lower. Some how I am not going to take their word on that. I think they should put an end to it and now. Besides most of the farmed fish is exported to the U.S so why do they not move the pens there.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2007, 10:39:38 PM »

Fish farming has it's place but not in the ocean where it could impact on wild stock. It's always about the all mighty buck. :(

bcguy

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2007, 12:35:09 PM »

I agree, if there is any potential at all, of damaging wild stocks, there should be no open water pens. I am tired of hearing about the Liberals and their disregard for the potential damage, as long there is a chance for someone to make a buck.
Another thing I don't understand is why we dont farm a naturally occuring westcoast species. Is it because there is not AS MUCH money in it ? But hey, I'm still waiting for someone to discover having a cell phone plastered to your head 24/7 causes cancer...
"It seems clear beyond the possibility of argument that any given generation of men can have only a lease, not ownership, of the earth; and one essential term of the lease is that the earth be handed on to the next generation with unimpaired potentialities. This is the conservationist's concern"-RHB

trout80

• I fish therefore I am.
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2007, 05:32:24 PM »

I agree, if there is any potential at all, of damaging wild stocks, there should be no open water pens. I am tired of hearing about the Liberals and their disregard for the potential damage, as long there is a chance for someone to make a buck.
Another thing I don't understand is why we dont farm a naturally occuring westcoast species. Is it because there is not AS MUCH money in it ? But hey, I'm still waiting for someone to discover having a cell phone plastered to your head 24/7 causes cancer...
   I sent an email to someone in the fish farm ind. It was awhile ago so I don't remember who.I asked why do you farm Atlantic salmon in BC ? The reply was pound for pound they put on weight faster per amount of food .I don't think they should farm Atlantic's in BC waters regardless of how.There  have been escapes,and that can't be good.All other farmed salmon should be completely contained as the report says.But until the liberals are replaced, good luck.
fishing is life, the rest is just details.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2007, 05:59:36 PM »

Flyguy it is a new type of feed. Did you watch the news and follow the entire series? Slice is the name of the new type of pellets they are feeding these fish. Yes they have an underwater camera and are trying to eliminate the amount of food from going to the bottom but this new type of feed works like this. They said the fish ingest this and when lice attach themselves to the fish the lice well die as whats in the slice will kill them. Obviously its not working....

Belong to the "4 F Club"

Geff_t

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2007, 07:29:57 PM »

Flyguy it is a new type of feed. Did you watch the news and follow the entire series? Slice is the name of the new type of pellets they are feeding these fish. Yes they have an underwater camera and are trying to eliminate the amount of food from going to the bottom but this new type of feed works like this. They said the fish ingest this and when lice attach themselves to the fish the lice well die as whats in the slice will kill them. Obviously its not working....

Kind of makes you wonder what type of chemicals are in the feed as well as the dye they use to make farmed fish look a pinkish red. Farmed fish come out grey and not your typical redish as normal salmon.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2007, 09:22:40 PM »

I still cant believe people here in BC eat farmed salmon. If a place serves farmed salmon I walk out. I always ask as I want nothing to do with a business that is involved with that. Put them on land SIMPLE AS THAT!!!

Belong to the "4 F Club"

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2007, 09:45:17 PM »

It's not as simple as that. Fish farms can not afford to run without being in the ocean. Hydro costs to pump water make the cost per kilo of fish produced way over the top. How much polution do you think will be emmitted to produce that farmed fish in-land? It doesn't work as a business model otherwise it would have been done long ago.

Fish farms have their place and without them the oceans would run out of salmon in very short order. Yes it would be nice to just have wild fish in the resteraunts but reality is the ocean can't supply enough. Just think about supply and demand for a bit and the way our government works. If they prohibit open pen fish farms suddenly all market supply will come from the ocean and do you honestly think the sports fishermen will get to enjoy any openings - not a damn chance. The sporties will be the ones to loose their share of fish to the commercial fleets.

Whether you like it or not, or if you believe it or not - the fish farms are the only savings grace that the sporties have at being allowed to catch wild salmon.

Don't eat the farmed fish if you don't want to while you still have a choice. We're very fortunate that we can get wild salmon at a high but still affordable price. Eventually that's going to change - they'll pull the pens and watch the price of wild salmon go through the roof. Again, with the high demand and the small supply, fish markets will exploit the hell out of the oppotunity to gouge the consumer.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2007, 10:11:30 PM »

For a few pennies more you can raise them on land. A guy from UBC did the reseach in Pitt Meadows with his own money. Fish farms rely on the way it was done 20 years ago in Europe so they don't know what can be done for how much, they just say it's too expensive. These guys have already headed to South America because they know the gigs about up here. There bad business period. Cheap buck at what cost. Eat the crap if you want it will keep the sea lice off you rear end as a bonus :-\
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2007, 10:26:57 AM »

It's not as simple as that. Fish farms can not afford to run without being in the ocean. Hydro costs to pump water make the cost per kilo of fish produced way over the top. How much pollution do you think will be emitted to produce that farmed fish in-land? It doesn't work as a business model otherwise it would have been done long ago.

Fish farms have their place and without them the oceans would run out of salmon in very short order. Yes it would be nice to just have wild fish in the resteraunts but reality is the ocean can't supply enough. Just think about supply and demand for a bit and the way our government works. If they prohibit open pen fish farms suddenly all market supply will come from the ocean and do you honestly think the sports fishermen will get to enjoy any openings - not a damn chance. The sportiest will be the ones to loose their share of fish to the commercial fleets.

Whether you like it or not, or if you believe it or not - the fish farms are the only savings grace that the sportiest have at being allowed to catch wild salmon.

Don't eat the farmed fish if you don't want to while you still have a choice. We're very fortunate that we can get wild salmon at a high but still affordable price. Eventually that's going to change - they'll pull the pens and watch the price of wild salmon go through the roof. Again, with the high demand and the small supply, fish markets will exploit the hell out of the opportunity to gouge the consumer.

Man that is nothing but Fish Farm B.S. to scare off any potential threat to their livelyhood...Come on Pat, Do you actually believe this??? I've watched this for a long time...The fish farms off the coasts of Europe damn near wiped out the Atlantic stocks... Atlantic over here on this coast is a recipe for disaster... But of course since they gain weight faster, who cares??? It isn't thought to be a cause of sea lice!!! It IS THE CAUSE and is what is contributing to wiping out your stocks!!!!
Help US??? Total B.S. It isn't helping the sport fisherman one damn bit!!!
 Freak pull your head out of butt before you make such ignorant statements...the sea lice on the fish in the vedder is not what anyone is talking about!!!

Geff_t

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2007, 02:43:00 PM »

I still cant believe people here in BC eat farmed salmon. If a place serves farmed salmon I walk out. I always ask as I want nothing to do with a business that is involved with that. Put them on land SIMPLE AS THAT!!!

I do the exact same thing. except I will order something else but I first tell the manager about how bad farmed fish are to our natural species and the fact that they use dies in the meat.