Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Non-tidal Fraser River, August 22nd & 23rd 2011: Scales/Landstrom Bar  (Read 1064 times)

Aki

Went to scales yesterday and today around 8am each day. There is some parking available for vehicles about 1/2km west of the truck scales which was almost full both days. Saw a bunch of vehicles parking in front of no parking signs closer to the truck scale but no tow truck was visible when I came by.

Fishing is a bit spotty but the sockeye are going through pretty steady. Some springs, but not too many, are also being caught. The CO was there both morning taking a creel count.

I got my two sockeye within an hour both morning. Also, this morning I landed a beautiful 15lb spring, but it as foul hooked so it was gently released when it was fully revived by a volunteer who helped me tail the fish in about a foot of water once we saw it was foul hooked.

There are probably 80 to 100 people there pretty steady with people coming and going as they get their two sockeye. A few linger to try to get a pink or a spring.

All in all the place is full of respectful people cooperating with each other. Fishing expertise varies (from novice to expert) as can be expected but I didn't see any rude behaviour. An example of "good neighbour" behaviour was observed when someone who lost the top half of their rod (when the line broke) kept fishing after a short break when someone lent them their spare rod. This is what fishing on crowded bar is about!

Butch1949

Re: Non-tidal Fraser River, August 22nd & 23rd 2011: Scales/Landstrom Bar
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2011, 05:37:12 PM »

Nice report Aki, great to hear of the sportsmanship in such a crowded location :)
"I don't catch fish"