Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Campbell CenterPins  (Read 4007 times)

prairiefire

Campbell CenterPins
« on: December 19, 2009, 01:04:45 AM »

Thinking of buying one. Does anyone own one or have experience with one? Your advice is much appreciated.

thanks,

p
"Assholes are like opinions, everybody got to have one."-Method Man

nosey

Re: Campbell CenterPins
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2009, 09:25:44 AM »

I have the second one he made and a new 5" no problem with either You could slap a dial indicator on the 5 and not find a bit of wobble it's built strong and serviceable. His anodizing is good and he will stand behind anything he builds.  Took the 5" out yesterday for it's first river trial and loved it. The 41/2 has caught every species of salmon we got a a goodly number of steelhead. no complaints.

kingpin

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2009, 09:26:22 AM »

I met don campbell on the vedder a couple years ago, nice guy, showed me a bunch of reels with a cool assortment of colours. i know a couple guys who fish them and like them....he lives in hope maybe try phoning cheyenne sports and see if they have his number so you can talk to him personally and get him to show you what he has, hes a super nice guy
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

BigCoho

• Roe Wizard
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2009, 02:54:49 PM »

I posted this in the christmas thread but I'll post it here as well.

Picked this beauty up today from Gary at riverside, He has 4 more in stock and every reel is different. Not 1 is built the same. Don pretty well custom built this one for me

prairiefire

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2009, 10:59:27 AM »

That's a sweet reel.  ;D I was gonna get the black one Gary has in stock. I opted to go for a clear one. 4.5" Recessed face. I'll hear more about it in the next couple of days. Unless I can't wait and decide to go back and grab the black 4.5".
"Assholes are like opinions, everybody got to have one."-Method Man

fullahead

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2009, 07:19:26 PM »

Are they Bushing or Ball Bearing?

Riverman

• old fart
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2009, 07:37:18 AM »

I have two.Both the same as Nosey's.Great reels.Don is a superb machinist as well as a good guy.I have an Islander(bearing) I only take out of the box now and then just to spin and feel the bearings running. then it goes right back in and I pick up my 5 inch bushing from Don and hit the flow!For me there has not been a better fit.
Riverman