Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: vedder report anybody know  (Read 4126 times)

ko

vedder report anybody know
« on: August 06, 2006, 03:09:54 PM »

hows the fishing on the vedder . i really dont want to partake in the gong show on the fraser , sockeye arent that important to me, mind you the vedder is probably a show in itself wioth all the tubers and partiers leaving thier garbarge everywhere . thinking of going up by ranger, water must be low

Pat AV

Re: vedder report anybody know
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2006, 03:53:43 PM »

Lots of fish above tamahi, most dark but a few somewhat bright! You are right about the garbadge and the campers........ never seen such a mess!

Good luck
Like STS pics? Check out my gallery at http://gallery.flybc.ca/patav

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2006, 04:51:15 PM »

Fished it approx. 10 days ago. Pressure wasn't bad at all. Most of the success came from the upper section.

searun17

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2006, 05:36:57 PM »

Fished it Friday morning and not a soul in site on the lower end,if you fish at the lower end i didn't see much in the way of springs but be carefull there are lots off sockeye moving through now.tight lines.
Our kids are the future of our sport,take them fishing,teach them well and the rewards will be many.

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2006, 05:54:23 PM »

I think that they should consider closing the lower veddar from the crossing down for the month of August due to the low numbers in the run of sockeye. Even though the likly hood of hooking one when fishing properly is slim why take the chance.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

Geff_t

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2006, 06:03:36 PM »

kwb should just be closed all year regardless of the time of year and the water flow. It is just a bunch of beeks that fish it anyway.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

searun17

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2006, 10:07:01 PM »

i understand what you guys are saying,about closing down certain areas to protect weaker  stocks ,to some extent i agree,but if you are talking about closing  kwb i don't think that is the answer,the type of behavior and BS that go on there happen on many parts of this system but not to the extent of kwb,if we close down this area were does it stop ,the last thing we want to do is start closing down areas because some anglers are either uneducated or just don't care,i think a better way to go would be with certain restrictions that wont effect most honest fisherman,such as leader length restrictions,hook type restrictions,IE circle hooks etc,remember all these areas of river such as kwb and some of the other areas that this type of activity takes place are good fish holding areas that have been given a bad rap because of the lack of ethics performed at them,now if you fish kwb most people are embarrassed to say so because of this,after all are we all not looking for the ultimate piece of water that we can ethically challenge our quarry.make it tougher for the gong show to exist with regulations in place and maybe the gong show will subside,my two cents worth.
Our kids are the future of our sport,take them fishing,teach them well and the rewards will be many.

Coho Cody

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2006, 10:22:50 PM »

kwb should just be closed all year regardless of the time of year and the water flow. It is just a bunch of beeks that fish it anyway.

true, but where would they all fish ::). in another part of the river, such as the upper which is a beautiful stretch of water which would look like a dump if they closed kwb >:(.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2006, 10:42:52 PM »

Let's take a closer look at the issue here before throwing out solutions that may have absolutely no impact at all.

The identified problem is the number of incidental catches of sockeye salmon during July and August, as well as anglers fishing in manners that are perceived as illegal at certain locations such as Keith Wilson Bridge and Lickman Road.

FYI, majority of the sockeye salmon that are currently in the Chilliwack River are Chilliwack Lake bound. Unlike the Cultus Lake stock, these fish are a lot more abundant.

The current regulation does not include sockeye salmon in the daily quota, meaning retention of sockeye salmon is not allowed. The regulation does not suggest fishing for sockeye salmon is prohibited, therefore catching and releasing sockeye salmon would be a legal practice.

In my opinion, the rule "no fishing for sockeye salmon" should be introduced. If such a regulation exists, repeatedly catching and releasing sockeye salmon would violate the law, resulting in a fine.

Some suggested earlier seasonal or total closure of certain part of the river, this would be extreme and ineffective. The second problem, which some have reported in the last several weeks, is the fact some are employing methods that increase the chance of foul hooking a fish. Let's examine that closely, are we talking about all of the anglers who fish during July and August below the Vedder Crossing are participating in such acts, or are we talking about only a small percentage of anglers?

By implementing a closure to this section, would you be managing and serving the rest of the anglers fairly? Those who fish the way they do will still want to fish, and will most likely continue to by moving to other locations. Such a closure does not solve the problem, but simply moves the problem to somewhere else.

Someone mentioned closure due to low water level. How do you suggest it be done? Should a closure be issued when the water drops to a certain level? Should the river remains closed in September if it remains low even though coho salmon are known to make their way into the river at night?

If speeding is a regular occurance on a road, do you close the road? Very unlikely. You set up speed traps, catch violators as well as make changes to the road to reduce the number of speeders.

Part of this ongoing problem is the lack of enforcement. If ten out of one hundred anglers are breaking the law, you do not close down the river so the rest of the 90 law abiding anglers lose their access, you catch and punish those who are spoiling the party. Instead of pushing for a closure on part of a river where you fish, one should be emphasizing the significance of this problem to the authority until actions are taken.

The second solution is education. Most of the time those who are catching and releasing sockeye salmon with a method that most of us do not approve of are novice anglers. These individuals are often just starting out and are completely unaware of how their action impacts the fish. Education can be done in many ways. It can be broadcasted via brochures placed at tacklestores or licence vendors. It can be done at an individual basis if you see someone who may not know what he or she is doing. From past experience, most novice anglers wish to learn to fish better and will change their method if they are made aware of the problem. If you are concerned about the current problems, inform and pressure the local DFO offices so information is broadcasted more efficiently and effectively.

Anglers are simply a small part of the problem, which stems from lack of regulations, enforcement and education.

Lastly, it seems this time of the year many of us feel the need to start lump certain anglers into a group and stereotype them? Why are people who fish at or near Keith Wilson Bridge or Lickman Road "a bunch of beeks"? The crowding problem at these two locations is mainly stemmed from the easy access to the river. Newcomers, elderlies and kids who do not know the river or cannot walk far may enjoy fishing together as a group. Do we really need to segregate the entire angling community into smaller groups that are often ranked based on the way they fish? It is unnecessary.

Sandy

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2006, 10:02:41 AM »

um what rod said
finding your limits is fun, it can also be VERY painful.

If you care about Canada's future, get involved by holding your MLA's & MP's accountable!! don't just be sheep!!

darmin

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2006, 12:52:08 PM »

very well put Rodney its to easy to judge theres not one of us who is pure

Geff_t

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2006, 01:29:30 PM »

Very well said rodney and I appolagize for the beek comment. I just get frustrated when I here of the things that go on at that particular spot. I myself was planning to take my kids (11 and 5) to the veddar yesterday to let them get used to drift fishing but when I heard of the sockeye in the lower end I decided to stay away as not to accidently hook up with a sox. Even though it is legal to catch and release I would rather not potentially harm these fish. So we went to the stave instead. No fish where caught but they where still able to get used to drift fishing with proper methods. To me that is more important and once I explained it to them they where more than fine with it.

Youngin

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2006, 01:39:12 PM »

I know.. they should post up hidden cameras along the river and then catch the violators! mwahahahha =P

Too bad that would be expensive :P
« Last Edit: August 07, 2006, 01:47:47 PM by Youngin »

BIG T

• Old Timer
  • One crazy fisherman!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2006, 02:00:30 PM »

Another problem i found,a lot of fishermen,they didnt even read up on the regulation first and they dont even know how to i.d. those fish.and they just bonk anything they got.or they just drag the sockey up to the beach before they unhook them(cause they didnt want to wet themself) ::)