Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: shushwap lake fishing  (Read 2524 times)

rhino

• Old Timer
shushwap lake fishing
« on: February 17, 2009, 03:17:07 PM »

hey guys. I plan on having my stag party on a house boat for a week in late may or early june. just wanted some advise on fishing the shushwap that time of year.

Thank you all in anticipation.

Centerpin-09

• Coho
Re: shushwap lake fishing
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2009, 10:46:51 PM »

Hey Rhino. You have a good chance of hooking some nice rainbows. The best time is when the ice just comes off the water and in october it lights up and is great fishing. My choice of lure is trolling a green and red croc. Háve had great success landing 4-5lb rainbows. Good luck!

tvh

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2009, 03:56:33 PM »

I'd advise you have a look at Shermanator's site for a lot of good information on Shuswap fishing.

Reel Fishing Adventures

We had a lot of success last summer with a blue spatterback Apex about 80 ft. behind the downrigger ball and about 50-60 ft. deep.

rhino

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2009, 10:36:38 PM »

I'd advise you have a look at Shermanator's site for a lot of good information on Shuswap fishing.

Reel Fishing Adventures

We had a lot of success last summer with a blue spatterback Apex about 80 ft. behind the downrigger ball and about 50-60 ft. deep.

excellent site. thank you kindly! After the stag party/fishing trip im sure ill have some very interesting pictures to post!hope some of fish too!lol.

ali

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2009, 08:15:12 PM »

I have two brother-in-laws + a father-in-law who live in Salmon Arm and another brother-in-law who owns a cabin on Bastion bay. So I have had lots of fishing time on that lake. Big fish when you get them. Trolling plugs and spoons behind the riggers is often slow. Try my Dolly Whacker fly pattern (I developed it on Shuswap for it's big predator rainbows and lakers) with mono on a mooching rod and a single action reel of a rigger (down rigger) at 50 to 100 feet. you can find the Dolly Whacker in the "Compendium of Canadian Fly Pattens."
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2009, 08:35:16 PM »

you can find the Dolly Whacker in the "Compendium of Canadian Fly Pattens."

Too lazy to even bite a hook let alone look up some obscure fly in some hard to find rag. :)
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?