Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: SIGHT FISHING , LONG LINING , SNAGGING  (Read 41563 times)

fishfinder

Re: SIGHT FISHING , LONG LINING , SNAGGING
« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2006, 11:12:35 PM »

That's the finest post you've written 2:40!

frenchy

« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2006, 11:48:31 AM »

I feel a bit weird when I read this kind of topics.
Fo me fishing is and as always be about looking after healthy fish (if possible wild) and finding a way to make them bitting. I do not consider long linning as fishing, but if it is not illegal, I do not feel like I have the right to tell people not to do that. I would also prefer having an annual limit for the catch and even If I like bringing fish at home from time to time, I would be happy to fish more rivers completely catch and release. But eh, who am I to say that it is what fishing really is about?
In France, in lot of rivers, every year when trout fishing open, tons of farm fish are released. This poor fish are used to be fed by humans... so I let you imagine what happens, the worst fisherman you are, the more fish you catch... I do not consider that as fishing, but it is legal...
So do we have the right to say what fishing really is? I guess yes, but in this case this must go with some regulations. We cannot just say, the way I fish is better than yours just because I think it is.

This is just my opinion

sorry for the poor English

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2006, 11:55:45 AM »

I feel a bit weird when I read this kind of topics.
Fo me fishing is and as always be about looking after healthy fish (if possible wild) and finding a way to make them bitting. I do not consider long linning as fishing, but if it is not illegal, I do not feel like I have the right to tell people not to do that. I would also prefer having an annual limit for the catch and even If I like bringing fish at home from time to time, I would be happy to fish more rivers completely catch and release. But eh, who am I to say that it is what fishing really is about?
In France, in lot of rivers, every year when trout fishing open, tons of farm fish are released. This poor fish are used to be fed by humans... so I let you imagine what happens, the worst fisherman you are, the more fish you catch... I do not consider that as fishing, but it is legal...
So do we have the right to say what fishing really is? I guess yes, but in this case this must go with some regulations. We cannot just say, the way I fish is better than yours just because I think it is.

This is just my opinion

sorry for the poor English

C'est tres bon. Vous écrivez excelente...mais je parle comme un vache espagnol lol.

Did you buy any of the 2003 bordeaux? There were some great buys...

frenchy

« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2006, 12:14:52 PM »

Yep 2003 was a very good year.

this is perhaps the only thing I do not like in BC, the wine is so expensive...  :D

Pat AV

« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2006, 12:54:04 PM »

A few things,

Canoeman: you will be glad to know that the enforcement may be getting a huge boost in the near future as DFO is hiring 20 people to be trained as Fisheries Officers. I have never heard of such a large scale hiring in that department and I am excited about it.

As far as the bad news (AKA the Vedder fishery right now) lets look at a few factors

1) The water is low the fish will not bite, alot of the good rods know that and are avoiding the river leaving it as a free for all to be abused by the "beeks"
2) It is late in the year, when the water is low like this in early september that is one thing but early october? The fish are there and the water is not! Perfect for snagging with most of the fish stuck in the deep pools.
3) New fishers who try short floating with roe or chucking spoons will be frustrated with these water levels and may become desperate.

What I am getting at is these water levels are abnormal and hopefully next year we will have some rain before late october and the fishery will right itself a little bit. I think this year is a "worst case scenario" situation. I hope climate change will not mean every fall will be like this.

Personally I was out saturday and sunday and have never seen anything like it, I have fished the river for a long time and this weekend was definetly one of the lowlights of my time on the river. I will not be back untill it rises.

No easy answers and I am not offering any constructive solutions, just hoping this year is an anomoly. The lower mainland is exploding in population and I fear for the futures of the fisheries that support it especially the Vedder, Skagit and Thompson.
Like STS pics? Check out my gallery at http://gallery.flybc.ca/patav

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2006, 01:14:33 PM »

Makes me think that some people did not get enough sockeye this year, or they have eaten them already and are looking for more...

The white chinooks in their plenty and hug size make it more attractive to make the trip... One fish means food for a month... And the fact that anglers can retain chum does not help either... That regulation has attracted some of these new less sporting anglers as well.

I really don't know what to do about the problem, other than requesting that a dedicated enforcement officer be assigned to the vedder... The number of tickets written would more than pay their salary...

Cheers,
Nicole
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2006, 02:17:50 PM »

Great post 2:40.  Just had to say that!

fishherron

• DSC00434-001
« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2006, 04:29:08 PM »

The times I phoned the Provies and DFO many. The times they came, Once> I am a old guy and the times I spoke to violaters many, the times I was told where my rod would go if I did'nt mind my own busseness, many. Times I felt sad for the Vedder. lots, untill I could,nt take take it anymore.   Moved. 
Fish for all your worth but, remember what the fish are worth.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #38 on: October 08, 2006, 10:02:41 PM »

I understand a meeting is going to happen shortly between some recreational anglers and FOC to deal with this growing problem.

I have been asked to attend as well. Feel free to list any solutions here that you may have to address this blight on sports angling that I can take to the meeting when it is called. Thanks very much.

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #39 on: October 08, 2006, 11:08:07 PM »

excellent post 2:40! ;)
weeeeeeeeeow!

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #40 on: October 09, 2006, 01:41:42 PM »

Just returned for a walk along the Canal portion of the Vedder River and I have in all my life never seen so many people out there. Of course being a holiday and a lovely Thanksgiving Day it has drawn many families out, including babies in strollers.
What is not so lovely is the sweeping is going on big time and fish after fish is being brought in, it is like a battle ground out out there with innards along with bodies of springs and chum everywhere, not a coho in sight.

People are standing about 3 feet apart in the area of KWB where the helpless salmon are schooled up, waiting to snagged by the multitude of hooks that are sweeping by them. What a shame that so many stoop to such methods to get a fish.
 Also saw two garbage bags of discarded fish under the KWB. Apparently someone had taken over their limit and fled the scene when FOC arrived. FOC is supposed to be coming back to get them, for evidence.

Not much to be thankful for today, on the Vedder anyway on what is supposed to be Thanksgiving Day. :'( :o :( >:(

BIG T

• Old Timer
  • One crazy fisherman!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #41 on: October 09, 2006, 02:15:30 PM »

Thanks for the report regarding what going on at the canel,but it just make me sick everytime i hear or see things like that ::) >:( >:( >:(

goinfishin

« Reply #42 on: October 09, 2006, 06:45:47 PM »

Anyone tried to call the local media about all this? I would this would shame the DFO to do something about this.

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #43 on: October 09, 2006, 07:31:57 PM »

I don't know, some people may disagree with me but do you think things would be better if there were no retention on adult springs and chum?  Maybe this would take the meat guys out of the equation.  I remember fishing the vedder when the only salmon you could keep were coho and Jack springs.  Some of the fish that I've seen kept this year were way past their prime and likely would have been wasted.  I think that there is big kill anything for a trophy and bragging rights mentality going on here.

dennyman

• Old Timer
« Reply #44 on: October 09, 2006, 07:46:46 PM »

Doug:you bring up some good points. But it would be interesting to see if DFO would have the balls to implement such a change in the regulations. They have such an invisible presence on the Vedder, it makes you wonder how much they really care about the fishery on the Vedder.