Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Here comes the pipelines...  (Read 5372 times)

swimmingwiththefishes

Here comes the pipelines...
« on: September 12, 2013, 10:25:18 PM »

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/story/2013/09/12/pol-federal-cabinet-ministers-push-pipelines-bc.html

ps. it's First Nations that are best able to push back against this, so I'm thinking we can lay off a few drift nets

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
Re: Here comes the pipelines...
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2013, 06:14:53 AM »

::)
http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/story/2013/09/12/pol-federal-cabinet-ministers-push-pipelines-bc.html

ps. it's First Nations that are best able to push back against this, so I'm thinking we can lay off a few drift nets

Sounds like quite a trade-off.....  Let the natives kill off all the salmon before the pipelines do??    ::)
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2013, 12:52:29 PM »

i don't understand why our the government is doing the dirty work for enbridge. let enbrige pay the bill for promoting the pipe line, not my tax's dollars. if the federal government wants $ so bad legalize pot. last time i check bud does not hurt our environment and is sustainable

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2013, 03:43:15 PM »

i don't understand why our the government is doing the dirty work for enbridge. let enbrige pay the bill for promoting the pipe line, not my tax's dollars. if the federal government wants $ so bad legalize pot. last time i check bud does not hurt our environment and is sustainable

LOL Interesting trade offs..... now legalization of pot for a pipeline.
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

StillAqua

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2013, 05:20:30 PM »

i don't understand why our the government is doing the dirty work for enbridge. let enbrige pay the bill for promoting the pipe line, not my tax's dollars.
Harper has been a shill for the Alberta oil industry since he first worked for Imperial Oil. He revised the Canadian Environmental Assessment Act and the Fisheries Act and laid off DFO Fish Habitat biologists to smooth the road for the pipeline environmental approval. He spent bundles of taxpayer money in the last budget to satisfy Christie Clarke's condition for improved tanker safety and he should be able to buy her last condition off with a couple more percent pipeline royality or forgiving the GST fiasco. Now he and Enbridge just need to buy off First Nations which won't be hard when he puts the squeeze on their existing federal support. So don't believe pipelines and tankers through BC can be stopped.....the Harper Oil Company that runs our government doesn't care what us BC ecofreaks think.

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2013, 05:36:10 PM »

Your probably right about Harper. As always there are 2 sides to the picture. Currently Canada gets about 65 -70% of the world oil prices as that is what the US pays. This amounts to billions of dollars per year that are being lost by the oil company owners/investors. (If you own a mutual fund or participate in a pension plan you are an owner/shareholder) While Harper may be the scapegoat, the lost revenue means less taxes for the provincial and federal governments, which means Canadians need to come up with the extra tax dollars in order to provide us with the health care, education, services and infrastructure that we want.

Therein lies the quandry....  Environmental concerns aside....  I believe that anyone that is willing to cut back on the services their tax dollars are paying for and are willing to stop using petro fuels, are totally justified in opposing the pipelines. Those that are not willing or able to do that are being hypocritical and need to examine their positions.

swimmingwiththefishes

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2013, 06:04:30 PM »

Harper has been a shill for the Alberta oil industry since he first worked for Imperial Oil. He revised the Canadian Environmental Assessment Act and the Fisheries Act and laid off DFO Fish Habitat biologists to smooth the road for the pipeline environmental approval. He spent bundles of taxpayer money in the last budget to satisfy Christie Clarke's condition for improved tanker safety and he should be able to buy her last condition off with a couple more percent pipeline royality or forgiving the GST fiasco. Now he and Enbridge just need to buy off First Nations which won't be hard when he puts the squeeze on their existing federal support. So don't believe pipelines and tankers through BC can be stopped.....the Harper Oil Company that runs our government doesn't care what us BC ecofreaks think.

I agree with most of what you say but I don't really see the harm in believing it can be stopped. It definitely won't be stopped if we all just give up and think there's no point in bothering.  That's the problem with a lot of people these days, they think there's no point in doing anything. Too much apathy and cynicism. There's no hurt in trying. 

Also I disagree about the FN. They have been pretty outspoken about this and if they weren't around it would have already gone through.Their rep Stewart Phillip has also spoken out on fish farms as well, so I'm not sure they'll give up on this one so easily.

To Alwaysfishn's post I think that it is fair to say that BCers (and Skeena fishermen even more so) are taking on a significantly higher burden of risk than other Canadians and I'm not sure how you could calculate that in tax dollars. 

VAGAbond

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2013, 12:12:05 PM »

Most of us have had our right to object given away or subverted by our elected representatives, both federally and provincially.   The natives are the only ones with any legal leverage left.    It is going to cost them mega-dollars to fight this.   Perhaps we should all think about contributing to their defense fund if the opportunity arises.

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2013, 04:55:00 PM »

i would hardly call my self a ecofreak. i bleed anything that has an internal combustion engine. i have a mustang that has a 545 cubic inch engine in it that prob gets 4mpg, but i buck up and pay for fuel. its not like fuels and oils are going to go down in price after the pipeline. a bad idea is a bad idea. having a pipeline that runs over our mountains is a disaster waiting to happen, especially with enbridge at the wheel with their track record.

Yvrsilver

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2013, 07:47:46 PM »

The world is broke Canada is broke , you want to keep your retirement funds , health care , education on and on , so tell me if not oil and gas where will the money come from?

bigblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2013, 08:23:02 PM »

I think most people of BC will agree that we do need the jobs and tax revenues generated from the proposed pipelines and energy infrastructure to export oil and gas to Asian markets. However, building a pipeline over the Coast Mountain range is an environmental challenge that can not be easily dismissed.

I had a chat with one of my customers who is a commercial helicopter pilot and also holds a masters degree in geography. He has flown extensively over the coast mountain range and was very knowledgeable about the geography of this entire range. He flat out told me that it is crazy to build a pipeline over this very unstable geological area. He said people think about the Rockies and just don't know how rugged and unstable the Coast Mountain range is in comparison as most people have never set a foot on it. That got me worried as this guy knew what he was talking about.

If they do decide to build the pipeline, I hope they don't build it over some no mans land where no outsiders can see what is going on. In neighboring Alberta, this kind of "out of sight out of mind" syndrome has caused much environmental degradation in the northern hinterlands.

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2013, 10:18:11 AM »

The world is broke Canada is broke , you want to keep your retirement funds , health care , education on and on , so tell me if not oil and gas where will the money come from?

just because countries are broke does not give them the right to push through a project that the people do not want. think how much a spill will cost to clean. you think enbridge is going to pay the bill. i want government to be held accountable for the money we have already payed them. all these crown corporations need to be audited. we pay the highest tax's in the industrial world. in todays world waste is not an option especially in business, why should government be any different. i have no problem with natural gas. i think that's bc future, well that and cannabis.

Yvrsilver

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2013, 12:44:05 PM »

"i want government to be held accountable for the money we have already payed them. all these crown corporations need to be audited."

Ya and I want a Unicorn , the public have no idea about macro economics and what is going down world wide , they are being influenced by big money one who bought up a rail road and wants the oil shipped on his rail , so we are up to 700,000 barrels of oil on rail a day now , Oh that's so much better then pipe line roflmao , oil is going to move take your pick a million + barrels a day on rail past your towns over the streams or state of the art pipe lines

Don't be so sure about NatGas saving BC , 20 LNG plants are being planed for N.A only the first 5 will be economically feasible if they don't get fast tracked and are bogged down by environmentalists like every thing else in BC it will be to late!!! time is running out already
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 12:59:05 PM by Yvrsilver »

swimmingwiththefishes

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2013, 08:47:05 PM »

Not sure what you mean by "time is running out" YVRsilver.

Anyways it also looks like we need more environmentalists because apparently them and the natives are the only ones with any backbone in this province.

http://commonsensecanadian.ca/rafe-fix-enbridge-clark-redford-put-show/

swimmingwiththefishes