Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A Bad Day On The Vedder, The Journal, Feb. 9  (Read 3633 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
A Bad Day On The Vedder, The Journal, Feb. 9
« on: February 09, 2006, 03:33:58 PM »

As usual a welcome to the Journal which will be very short today, reason to follow.

This morning things were not very good in the lower river as the East winds were really howling that made getting a good drift very tough. I stuck it out for a couple of hours and saw only one fish taken, a hatchery. I then headed up river and visited the Chilliwack Hatchery just in time for coffee. Brood stock capture is going very well and they will be holding off on any more does until after the 15th.

I cleaned up a bit of garbage on the way down and then saw Rodney parked above Vedder Crossing.  I phoned him and we said we would  meet for lunch at 1. I had time to stop at the river to see if the winds had abated, they had not. Talked to Ian and he was interested in how we put the stoppers on the line for drennan floats.

As my rod was in the back of the Leaf Mobile I showed him the set up and laid the rod back down and then headed to meet Rodney.

When I got to the restaurant I discovered to my horror the rod was gone. As the East wind was blowing very hard it had to have blown out as it was laying on top of a tarp. A silly place to put it thats for sure. I did stop for a minute to check a jam for a float but gone for only a minute and I did not see anyone around so I donot think anyone had time to steal it. Rodney and I retraced my path and talked to some other fishers in the area but they had not seen it. As the sage has my name on it maybe someone will see it and I will have it returned.

Of course the reel was one my dad bought for me in England so that makes it all the worse.

Not a good day on the journal thats for sure.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2006, 03:48:52 PM by chris gadsden »

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
Re: A Bad Day On The Vedder, The Journal, Feb. 9
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2006, 03:42:07 PM »

Damn, that's horrible Chris, hopefully some honest guy will find it and make it back to you, though if it flew out the back of the LM i hope it's not to beat up...if you need a baitcasting set up i have a couple sitting here that i'm not using...pm me if you need one.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2006, 04:28:13 PM »

I hope whoever found it will return it to the rightful owner. Sad to hear about your misfortune Chris.

dlaw52

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2006, 04:36:15 PM »

I have the day off work tomorrow and was planning on heading up with a couple of friends so I will keep an eye out for your rod and reel.  I hope your gear finds its way back to you one way or another.   

Derek

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2006, 04:45:27 PM »

Too bad about the rod and reel today. :( I rushed to Reaction Fly and Tackle after we departed Cookies and let them know about this (Sorry Terry, may have left footstep stains on your carpet by my wading shoes :-[ just realized that when I left the store).

I also just posted the information up on FishBC. You can add some more information to what I have on there already:

http://forum.fishbc.com/index.php?showtopic=30416

Another blank day for me today, walked quite a bit and saw absolutely nothing at all, very quiet compared to other days.

The crash of the tour bus on Hwy 1 in Fort Langley created quite a bottle neck this afternoon. It took me 1.5 hours to go from Reaction Fly and Tackle (Whatcom exit) to 176th st & 88th ave in Surrey.

Let's hope we get that rod and reel back soon.

cohoslayer1

• Bring on the steelhead
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2006, 04:54:00 PM »

if not i think we sould all put in 5 bucks so he can get a new rod and reel ;D ;D

i dont wanna stop reading his great storyies ;D

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
  • V.P. Club S.C. & P. & S.C. & F. Team Hop Sing
    • BB Pics
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2006, 05:01:35 PM »

Wow....sorry to hear about the loss of your Gear Chris....I am sure that everyone on this site would be more than happy to pitch in to help you out..I am first in line...I along with everyone else on this site really look forward to reading your daily journals..and I personally don't want them to stop!!!  It sucks that that was your Dad's reel..obviously it is not replaceable...I hope you find your gear..but if not I am sure something will get worked out..
Rick

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

XG Flosses with his Spey !!

BIG T

• Old Timer
  • One crazy fisherman!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2006, 05:30:56 PM »

Hi chris,sorry to hear about your rod and reel,hopefully somebody will return back to you

steelieman

• Fish On!!!!
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2006, 05:41:05 PM »

Sorry to hear about your loss- hopefully someone return it when found.

huntwriter

• Othmar Vohringer Outdoors
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2006, 05:47:40 PM »

I am very sorry to hear about your rod and reel go missing. I know how it feels to loos something special,  handed down from father to son. I truly hope it all will turn up again.
Othmar Vohringer - Smart Hunting Strategies (SHS)
http://www.othmarvohringer.com/

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2006, 05:48:08 PM »

Chris, I am really sorry about that, that is aweful!! :(  I would be be willing to help out in anyway that I can!!  I know that the reel means a heck of alot to you, and that can't be replaced.  I hope that somehow you get it back.  If that is not possible, then I'm sure that with enough help somehow you could get hooked into a suitable replacement.
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

Randog

• Ultimate Sportfishing Adventures
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2006, 05:55:28 PM »

Sorry to hear about you terrible loss Chris :(. My fingers are crossed for a speedy safe return.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2006, 06:31:57 PM »

Thanks guys you are all so kind with your words and all the offers of equipment to use that I have been PM. I am ok rod wise and I have my orignal Avon left. I better chain it to myself. ;D

I also have Maple Leaf Drennan #1 but MLD #2 is missing with the rest of the gear. I wonder what the person who found it with a Maple Leaf Logo on it, most likely will not help with its recovery.

Of course will be back out on the river if this blasted East wind stops it is a hurricane out there this evening.

Thanks one and all once again for your concerns, the journal will continue as usual.

Coho Cody

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2006, 06:53:21 PM »

that sux chris!!! >:( :-X :-\ my dad's got an extra one if you need it ;)

stryker 07

• Piss on work,gotta go fishing
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2006, 07:05:46 PM »

That bites the big one Chris,hopefuly you get it back fast and in one piece.The only sage that i know of with double red hot cork.......should be easy to spot .keep checking at freds and on the way store.....hopefully they will recover it.

Now if he'd just loose that dam leafes hat ;)
Please honey can i go fishing now???