Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A Bar Fishing First, July 28  (Read 3779 times)

Trout Slayer

• Old Timer
A Bar Fishing First, July 28
« on: July 29, 2005, 12:13:20 AM »

The day started off as the alarm on my radio woke me up at 4am. Today was not any regular trip on the Fraser, today I was set to bar fish with Chris Gadsden and the Leaf Craft. ;D I quickly gathered my supplies for the day and was on the road by 4:30. The plan was me to meet Chris at Island 22 as he was camping overnight on the bar we planned to fish and he would come pick me up with the boat. Sure enough, get down to the launch and theres Chris by the Leaf Mobile waiting. ;) Unloaded my supplies into the Leaf Craft and we were on our way.

As we got closer to MLB Chris struck my attention by pointing to a deer on the rivers bank. We slowed down and he took out his 10 lbs video camera to tape the moment. It quickly jumped up the bank and into the bush. Upon arriving at MLB there is nobody else fishing and you can see smoke from the fire Chris made and he said thats the spot. I unloaded my supplies and Chris took out some wood for the fire that he collected down river before meeting me.

It is now around 630-640, I quickly set up the rod holder and we both cast out our rigs. We settle by the fire and it wasnt too long before CG was into the first fish of the day. I saw his rod dancing and heard the bell, Chris said "ahh its just a weed probably" All of a sudden after reeling in fast his line goes sideways and it's fish on! But what is it? A SOCKEYE :o A gentle release and the fish is on it's way. Chris reminds me it is very uncommon for a sockeye to bite the spin and glow. Soon after a young Heron creeps up beside the Leaf Craft looking for a meal.

Time goes by and to pass the time chris pulls out some golf balls. Like 500 of them. :o He sorts them into old milk crates and once recieving 100 he makes me count and toss in the bag. ;D A few jet boats come and go, mostly bar fishing but some decided to floss. :-\ The mosquitoes were awful out there today but when the wind picked up that solved the problem. 8) Soon after Lisa arrives with some friends and set up their bar rods, but wait, Lisa forgets her rod, so she comes and gets Chris' rod and is soon in the water as well. It wasnt long for them as the top rod of the bar started to dance and a nice 10 lbs Spring is netted. Slows down for a while and Chris decides to make a visit, all of a sudden I glance in 1 eye my rod hopping, before i could react Chris started yelling my name. A quick sprint, hook set and the fight was on. Fish jumped a couple of times and pulled out lots of line when first hooked. I am battling the fish and Chris grabs the videocamera, sure enough the fish swims towards the Leaf Craft and gets off. :'( Rod is re casted out.

Time goes by, more golf balls are counted and not much sign of action. Then my rod starts dancing again, run over set the hook and can feel a fish, but it seems to have popped off. It actually didnt but it fooled me just like the one Chris had and another SOCKEYE :o Is caught on the spin and glow.

Now into the afternoon one of Lisa's friends rod goes off and seems to miss it on the hookset, actually doesnt and during this time the fish is pulling out line without her knowing and drifting right into my line quite aways down. Still fighting it then the line goes slack, brings in the rig and the leader is cut clean off. Too bad, especially as nobody saw how big it was.

They later leave and my rod starts to dance once again. Hookset, fish on, line goes slack, starts pulling hard again. Starts to swim upstream and oh no, not another sockeye. NOPE, not this time, a small 6 lbs Spring is in my arms. (Pictured below)

Finally, a fresh Chinook for my license and on the bar rod. :)

More time goes by and the sun slowly makes it way behind the mountains, Chris' rod starts to bounce(I noticed once again :P) hookset and fish on, I quickly grab the video camera and just about to film and fish pops off just over the ledge in the river. :'(
This was the last action for the night and the rods decided they want to stand still.

Heres a pic of Chris checking his line.

It is now around 9pm and its time to call her quits. We load up the Leaf Craft and venture back to the launch.

Thanks for the great day fishing Chris and I continued the streak of you getting your guests into fish 8)

He will say what I missed. ;D
« Last Edit: July 29, 2005, 12:19:09 AM by Trout Slayer »

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
Re: A Bar Fishing First, July 28
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2005, 12:29:59 AM »

So counting golf balls is what you have to go through, just to fish with the CG. Well im in!
Sounds like a really productive day! good report
« Last Edit: July 29, 2005, 12:31:49 AM by BigFisher »
The Bigger The Better!

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2005, 12:40:04 AM »

A very enjoyable day with Trout Slayer, I wonder if he will now change his name to Chinook Slayer. ;D It was great to be there and witness him catching his first of many blunt nose chinooks to come.

We spent close close to 15 hours fishing but the time seems to slip by so quickly especially with a good fishing partner even though he did out fish me. ::)

I have not landed a chinook since June 23 but every bar fishing trip someone that has come out with me has so that is good. Maybe I should take up guiding for a living but I donot think I would like the pressure that comes with it. Besides I can make some fair pocket change with all the golf balls Aaron talked about. ;D ;D

Aaron has told the story very well and besides I have to get to bed as three of us meet with Barry Penner and then tele conference with Al Martin after regarding the proposed bait ban early tomorrow morning. I will look foward to another trip Aaron in the not too distant future, enjoy eating your first chinook, I can tell you it will be just great.

One last thing, I found a knife in the Island 22 lauching area just at dark, PM me with a discription if its yours.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2005, 12:45:01 AM »

Sockeyes on spin n'glo ? Everybody knows that sockeyes can't see in the Fraser and that they don't bite ! :o :-*

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2005, 05:28:56 AM »

Sockeyes on spin n'glo ? Everybody knows that sockeyes can't see in the Fraser and that they don't bite ! :o :-*
As I have mentioned many times it is a rarity that you will catch a sockeye by bar fishing but it does happen as you also have a chance to win the lottery when you buy a ticket. Maybe TS and I better buy a ticket this week. ;D ;D

Seriously though, we are using a 0 spinning glow, fishing now with visibility approaching 2 feet in the area we are fishing and the spinning glow is in a fairly stationary position as it spins at ? revolutions a minute.

As it has been mentioned many times before go look at where a fish is hooked and you will be able to tell if it was biting or not.

Saying this as I wanted to answer your post but lets not go to a flossing thread again as everything possible has been said on this topic many times over. Besides go to past threads on it and you can see the debate there.

Once again good work TS and I think on my next trip I will get my first blunt nosed chinook bar fishing, for 2005. ;D ;D
« Last Edit: July 29, 2005, 01:13:43 PM by chris gadsden »

steelie5000

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2005, 08:01:25 AM »

:) Great day fishing, way to go! BTW the spring you landed was a Jack and you are not required to tag it on your license. Socks do bite glows. I have seen it many times.....
Where there is water, I WILL fish.......

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2005, 10:58:00 AM »

:) Great day fishing, way to go! BTW the spring you landed was a Jack and you are not required to tag it on your license. Socks do bite glows. I have seen it many times.....

It looks like a jack because Trout Slayer is 7 foot tall. ;D

What's this selective technique called barfishing about? Those socks made up 50% of your catches! :o ;)

Nice fish TS, I tried to phone in yesterday morning but did you guys purposely turn the cel off? :P Too busy sorting golf balls I see. ;D

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2005, 11:57:39 AM »

Must be a chinnok in sock disguise  ;D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2005, 01:15:06 PM »

Well over 50cm so has to be marked on your license. ;D ;D

Floater

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2005, 01:36:57 PM »

lol when i was reading the deer part and you said then he took out his 10lb lol thougt you were gona shoot it with a rifle or something. You know do some hunting and fishing in one day.
[

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2005, 02:51:26 PM »

Sockeye, now thats a double edged sword! On one hand the bar fishing camp can no longer claim to be using 100% selective angling methods. However, on the other side, the flossing camp can no longer say that you can't get socks to bite.

Hey CG, what do you do with all those golf balls. I think I have like 500 of them sitting in my garage  ;D
Actions speak louder than words.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2005, 03:30:14 PM »

Sockeye, now thats a double edged sword! On one hand the bar fishing camp can no longer claim to be using 100% selective angling methods. However, on the other side, the flossing camp can no longer say that you can't get socks to bite.

Hey CG, what do you do with all those golf balls. I think I have like 500 of them sitting in my garage  ;D
Yes nothing in life is 100% except death and taxes.  :-\ ;D

The bar fishers have never said we did not catch sockeye bar fishing but to have seen 3 caught by yours truly including one on the Maple Leaf pole ;D is an surprising number but we on FWR tell the truth and report things as they are, nothing hidden here. ;D ;D

The good part in this is if they do open sockeye I will have to put in some time trying for sockeye bar fishing as Trout Slayer, Lisa and I know the spinning glow colour now to use and we are not telling. :D

O, I forgot, see statement above Chris: ;D ;D # 0 silver with a red or green top.

My tip of the day.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2005, 11:07:16 PM »

Heron flying by Leaf Craft.

Trout Slayer waiting for the bell to ring. ;)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2005, 11:29:18 PM »

Try to sell them. ;D ;D

pepsitrev

• Old Timer
  • my family and fishin are #1 in my life
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2005, 06:22:32 PM »

:D way to go trout slayer sounds like you had a great day with chris. guess i better get in line to go fishing with the master ;D ;D and congrats on your fish also. ;)