Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A Bar fishing Trip On The Fraser With The Master.  (Read 1417 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
A Bar fishing Trip On The Fraser With The Master.
« on: July 27, 2005, 12:43:33 AM »

Have been taking some friends out bar fishing with some success for them but none for me so it was my turn to be guided by "The Master." Actually it was a working outing as Gwyn would be joining us as well to put together our submission re the proposed bait ban.

We are meeting shortly with The Hon. Barry Penner, the Envirronment Minister. We have a hour to make our presentation and I will give him a copy of our petition that contains hundred of names. Thanks for those that signed it.

Anyway, my day started early so as to clean up things for Tuesday's nights Ladies Fastball game and then the All Star game.

Gwyn and I beat Nick to the launch  ;D  very unusual but we were 10 minutes ahead of the planned meeting time of 6 am.

Nick was taking us to a new hot spot as we left the Maple Leaf Bar as some Canucks fans have sneaked into it and are trying to claim it as theirs. :o ;D

We get a prime spot and in no time flat Gwyn is into a good blunt nose, one that tips the scales at an even 20. ;D Nice as it is his first of the year.

We work on our submission and of course Nick has some dandy reasons while things should be left as is. I truly believe we will get the support of the Environment Minister Barry Penner. It may be a little tougher in the teleconference that will follow with Al Martin from the Branch who is suggesting, in our minds this needless change. Take bait away from those that like to fish with it to actually make them bite and then it will just increase those that choose to floss their fish not only on the Fraser but on the Vedder River for all species of fish including steelhead, a real shame in this anglers mine seeking out a trophy of a fish this way. :'(

Back to fishing, Nick lands a small one that is released.Then a FN boat drops a net above us, Nick counts 8 as they pull the net in. We are not sure if there is an opening so we phone the OB line and we find it is legal, to 2000 hours they say. We find out later it was for 15 chinooks. Another set follows, we count 3 more bringing the total to 11 and they still have 5 hours to go. ???

I go for a walk down the beach, cleanup some garbage, some beer tins, and discarded line. Also find a bar weight and a spin & glow, my reward for the cleanup. ;D Gwyn had done a walk earlier and filled a small bag with similar garbage. He also finds a nice bar rod holder. Before I can get my hands on it he gives it to our guide. ;D

Fishing slowed down in the afternoon but 1 was lost below us and they landed one.
"The Master" is into another but loses it after a minute or so. We fish to 4 pm just as the FN boat sets another drift into motion. My rod had stayed still all day just as it did when Lisa and Cathy got their 2 fish last week.

Gwyn gives me half his fish as Nick did not want any. A nice fillet will make for some good eating. Today (Tuesday) had to get everything ready for the softball wrap up night.

The evening was great for ball as Ron and I did the play by play of the playoff game for the teams as a keepsake tape.Then in the following game I got to pitch one inning, the last, in the Ladies All Star game. Our teams was ahead handliy so the coach felt safe giving me the ball. I have not pitched for close to 10 years but throwing from 42 feet was nice. Thought I would strike out the first batter as I had her, 1 ball two strikes but she singled to left. A wild pitch put her to second but then things turned in my favour as the next batter grounded out to me even though I fumbled it as I did not have my 50 plus year old glove. A perfect throw by me nipped her by a step. I then got the next two to also  ground out to Lisa who was on third, she was the fishing gal I took fishing on Thursday , my pay for getting them into two fish on third I guess. ;D However the runner did score on one of the ground outs. :'(

I think it was my new Maple Leaf hat I was wearing as I was rolling, rolling rolling right along ;D ;D ;D to a save.

My arm is a bit sore now but I am sure I will be able to cast as I head for an overnight bar fishing trip. I hope I can guide myself to a fish as "The Master" sort of let me down, for the first time ever. ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: July 27, 2005, 06:44:21 AM by chris gadsden »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: A Bar fishing Trip On The Fraser With The Master.
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2005, 11:11:43 PM »