Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A Brief Trip To The Vedder, October 5, 2008  (Read 1355 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
A Brief Trip To The Vedder, October 5, 2008
« on: October 05, 2008, 10:01:35 AM »

Even though it was long lining Sunday today but when I checked the Vedder Crossing gauge this morning and I saw about a 4 inch jump I was excited in the prospects it may have seen a few more coho enter the system. I just had to get out there seeking my first adult coho of the 2008 season

I knew it would be crowded today and maybe us retired guys should not fish on the weekend but when you get up in age you know yours days of fishing could be cut short at any time.
When I arrived at the run there was 5 other chaps there, 1 was throwing a blade and the others were just using wool or a Jensen egg and were fishing way to deep to my liking.

I had about an hour to fish, I slip at the top of the run above the row of 5. My roe looks lovely, I'm confident. My first bite takes a while to happen and it is a clipped steelhead smolt.

My next chance is successful and a 14 inch chinook jack disappears into the wetted burlap sack.
Shortly after near the end of the drift in the zone I am into a solid fish, I work away below the other people so to be out of their way. Its strong and I have to do every thing in my power to prevent it leaving the run in the couple of time it trys to, I give it slack and that trick works and it come back upstream away from the riffle.

I finally see it, no wonder it has lots of juice, its as chrome as they come, a river chrome anyway, its close to 15, a hen, it joins the other salmon in the sack. I fish a little longer and have another good sized fish on briefly.

Finally time to leave to get ready for church, the others had no success when I left except the one throwing the blade picking up a smolt too. As I head back to the Leaf Mobile I wonder why they continued to fish the way there were, long lining, striking at bottom a great many times when they saw the way I was fishing was producing a couple of fish.
To each there own I guess.

Hopefully the weather holds for the week ahead and I will get that first adult coho this week, if not its great just getting out there, even though maybe I should not be fishing weekends.

testo84

• officially a hardware addict
Re: A Brief Trip To The Vedder, October 5, 2008
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2008, 10:18:52 AM »

" when you get up in age you know yours days of fishing could be cut short at any time. "

not gonna happen ! you are enjoying yourself you wont get old and thanks for the report
hardware == fish

square tail

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2008, 10:25:19 AM »

thanks for the report chris will try to get out tommorow as I work on weekends and any spare day off is spent on the water someware thanks again cheers.
the tug is the drug

Whitedevil

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2008, 08:39:18 PM »

Good report and persuade me to try my luck tomorrow..thanks a lot!

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2008, 08:46:44 PM »

Flogged the Vedder with my flyline today for 5-6 hours.
Had only one brief handshake with an unidentified fish.
Very slow for me, and for everyone fishing around me.

Got to see Every Day across the river and we exchanged a few pleasantries...:)

My best man, who is not a regular, and whom I was "babysitting" on the river today got a nice 5 pound coho on the spoon setup I provided him with.  :D
Good day to be on the water. No fish for me, but no rain either! ;D