Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A broken day, Sunday, 2-18  (Read 2450 times)

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
A broken day, Sunday, 2-18
« on: February 18, 2007, 06:46:18 PM »

We start out mid river, Thick ricks second cast or so..."Bang" rod broke...Rick comes over and is pissed off...Well, what are we going to do...here's my keys, Rick is off to Fred's for another stick...
My first cast, lose everything...this happens three times in a hundred yard stretch, and I think at least twice for T.O. Merc.
Rick gets back and we decide to head up river...check a little spot the TR got his fish yesterday..we fish, B.S. and smoke cigars...start to head up a little, Here comes T.O. Merc with a sad look on his face.. :'( "Can I have your car keys?" He's off to Fred's now too, rod tip came loose..
While Merc is gone Rick and I hook into some nice ones...kind of boots though..

Between us we hook about five of these big boys, though Ricks was the biggest of the day...We then head up to a few more runs but no one home...T.O.Merc gets back and I look at my watch and I'm supposed to call and meet someone one about buying a rod today off him..No reception so I now drive down to Fred's to call and wait...Oh, phone is off...hmmm nice...Love wasting an hour waiting on someone....Head back up river and pick up the two knuckleheads..we fish a little more and I talk them into one more stop...

Head down to mid river again...sun is coming out and the water is murky but it's our last stop...I'm sitting there as usual, yapping at Rick....float down...SHOCK...it's NOT a log...head shakes...Big fish jumps coming toward me and rolls in the line and out pops the hooks...I'm standing there yelling at Rick..."Is it still on..Is it still on?" Hoping somehow pumpkin buns can kick that bugger back on my hook... :'( 

We fish another half hour, Rick goes..."Damn, bottom...Oops..Damn Fish"  and he escapes too...So a deer comes down and pee's on our gear..laughs and walks away...We are soooooo b*tchslapped today... :-\

« Last Edit: February 18, 2007, 06:48:17 PM by Xgolfman »

weizen

Re: A broken day, Sunday, 2-18
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2007, 06:52:15 PM »

That has got to be one of the best fishing reports I've ever read.

Sucks for your day, but thanks for the laughs.

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2007, 06:54:58 PM »

I sure hope that you busted an old rod and not the new one you just had built.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2007, 06:59:22 PM »

I sure hope that you busted an old rod and not the new one you just had built.

There still driving home... :P It was his new TFO drift rod...what did someone say about those?? but Ill let him vent on that... He sat right down and just shook his head...Would have been funny if it wasn't so NOT funny, nothing like starting your day with a kick in the crotch..

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
  • V.P. Club S.C. & P. & S.C. & F. Team Hop Sing
    • BB Pics
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2007, 07:02:22 PM »

It was actually my new TFO baitcaster I broke :( the reason I was fishing with my baitcaster was because I wanted to try my new rod out, sucks that it broke but it is covered under warranty, the new stick I bought was actually really nice and it is a light medium which is also something I needed anyways :) I am gonna break the cherry on my new Sage next weekend  :) :) it actualy turned out to be a fun day !! with the way it started out that is hard to believe !! I was so mad I almost threw the end with my reel on into the river after the top part  :o the Deer was cool, and watching The master ABA with his first ever Steelhead on was kinda cool !! too bad it got off , but I did the same thing a few minutes later to make him feel better  ;)

I am hungry
TR

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

XG Flosses with his Spey !!

CAPTAIN BONK

• Old Timer
  • THERE'S NO HEAD BETTER THEN STEELHEAD !
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2007, 07:15:01 PM »

DID U BREAK UR ROD ON THE TIMBER TROUT ?

PS. GO COLORADO !

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2007, 07:29:49 PM »

"and watching The master ABA with his first ever Steelhead on was kinda cool !! too bad it got off , but I did the same thing a few minutes later to make him feel better "

I did sure appreciate that....nothing like standing there feeling like..well like...shamed??? It felt like when you go ask the hot girl to dance and she says "No" and you have to walk back to your table with EVERYONE staring at you...OK, maybe not that bad, but close...

MERC

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2007, 08:06:51 PM »

Gotta admit it was a fun day, despite all the gear mishaps. I started the day by ditching my fishing vest as I need a new one and decide to go with a creel pouch.  Works okay if a bit more disorganized than my vest but the man purse comments got old after awhile.  My rod tip for some strange reason is loose so rather than fish with it and risk the rod, I go have it glued at Fred's.  TR breaks his new rod on his second cast out.  ABA loses all his gear on a nasty snag on his second or third toss out as well on the first run we hit.  I lose some more gear later in the day.  ABA uses TR's rod and birdsnests on his first cast. On the second cast with TR's rod, he casts way over to the other bank and overshoots the river by some 20 feet or so snags up TR's gear and then hands the rod back to TR  :o  TR slips and falls badly damaging his delicate little thumb (all that bodybuilding and I guess he forgot to build strength in his fingers!  ;D).  ABA needs to do a number two so off he goes into the bushes only to find a mom and dad smooching in the bushes while the kid comes strolling out.  ABA goes off to Macdonald's instead.  ABA is supposed to call up and meet a guy to buy a rod around noon-ish but the guy has his phone off all day.  I slip once and almost face plant in the river (fortunately shallow and I never did fall.).  On the way home, my fries sitting on top of my dash fall off when I accelerate and I end up with fries on the floor.

The good?  It never did rain much today.  Watching ABA hook his first fish, then not getting a good hookset and watching it pop off.  But boy, was it super aggressive when it came out of the water!  Watchng TR hook what he thought was bottom and then watch it turn into a fish and then watch it pop off.  The good was the hooking and not the popping off.  Good cigars.  Good company, well almost, not counting TR and ABA.  Joking!   ;D  Listening to TR moan about not having a cigar to smoke despite smoking one of mine and one of ABA's because he forgot his own at home and being able to rub it into his face.  Hey, what are friends for?  Having fun using my caster for the first time this season instead of the pin just to try something different.  Listening to ABA's stories.  Watching ABA's thousand dollar rod and reel combo catch way more tree branches than my cheapo baitcaster and rod.  Could you ask for anything more?  Well. maybe a few fish landed but that's for next time.

I'm hungry and I want a cigar. 
« Last Edit: February 18, 2007, 08:08:23 PM by MERC »
President Club S. C. & P.

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2007, 09:45:27 PM »

I think at times were the oldest Children on the river... but damn we do laugh... ::)

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2007, 09:59:20 PM »

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. S$$$ happens. Is that a 35 gms DNE in the first picture.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2007, 10:00:18 PM »

DID U BREAK UR ROD ON THE TIMBER TROUT ?

PS. GO COLORADO !

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news (for Calgary). The AVS LOST ;D

CAPTAIN BONK

• Old Timer
  • THERE'S NO HEAD BETTER THEN STEELHEAD !
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2007, 10:06:02 PM »

^ HEART BREAKING

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
  • V.P. Club S.C. & P. & S.C. & F. Team Hop Sing
    • BB Pics
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2007, 06:50:19 AM »

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. S$$$ happens. Is that a 35 gms DNE in the first picture.

25 but you are close  ;D

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

XG Flosses with his Spey !!