Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2016 Chilliwack River fall salmon fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 208418 times)

BNF861

• Old Timer

I believe there should no angler retention of chum and pink salmon on the C-V; they are far more important to the river system.  Non retention would also help negate the on going angling ethics issue every pink year.

I would be in favour. It would help prevent the needless fish that are killed just for the roe.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

It's good to hear that the chum return is looking good. Chum numbers crashed several years ago and it has been a long slow process for the fish to build to what you see now. Chum in the Vedder/Chilliwack for the most part are dark and of mediocre table quality. Many people retain females for the roe as bait. Best I know most system that rely on wild reproduction are still depressed.
This week I have landed some in good condition put one on the BBQ last night and my wife even liked it. ;D

They are not as good as some other species but we must remember fish are good for you not like some that are raised in net pens. :P

Just a reminder when you clean or fillet your fish at home always a good practice to being them back to the river to add nutrients to the system, Gwyn always made a practice of doing that.

Some people that clean their fish at the river just leave the innards on the beach, not hard to throw them in the river.

Today's report, river great conditions and of course many chum, I think I had only one coho salmon on briefly, many misses.

Nicholas the Fisherman got a nice clipped coho, filmed it may post it one day. ;D  A local l dairy farmer who came out after miking got a good sized one too.

Went for my usual cleanup of some line and Tim's cups etc. and saw the hardware casting boys doing very well, some good sized coho, bigger than I have caught this year.

Well tomorrow is another day to get out and enjoy our fishery at this time of year that I enjoy so much as the leaves are turning their various colors.

Will have to post some pictures from the last few days soon on the FVSS FB page and mine too.

Make sure you get out there when you can as the major coho salmon run will soon be over.

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer

Is it longjohn weather yet, or will pants and waders be enough?

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry

As a fish advocate/river steward I believe there should no angler retention of chum and pink salmon on the C-V; they are far more important to the river system.  Non retention would also help negate the on going angling ethics issue every pink year.

Oh the irony...there are a good number of people who would like to see the end of sport fishing as we know and love it due to ethical issues with the sport.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Dave

• Old Timer

Oh the irony...there are a good number of people who would like to see the end of sport fishing as we know and love it due to ethical issues with the sport.
Ralph, I think you and I should meet sometime for a beer … I’m sure we can agree on at least a few things  ;)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

I donot think Dave wants to see the end of sports fishing but he does not fish any more,not sure why but some anglers give up fishing because of age.

I know he does not agree with a hatchery program on the Chilliwack Vedder, they have stopped the program on some Washington State rivers.http://knkx.org/post/protect-steelhead-state-bans-hatchery-fish-designated-wild-gene-bank

Without a hatchery program on the Chilliwack Vedder I think that would be the end of steelheading as we know it. The program has been very successful thanks to the staff of the Chilliwack River Hatchery,Freshwater Fisheries Society of BC and the volunteer anglers that do the brood capture each year.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer

Hmm trying to call in some snaggers fishing over spawning chum in a side channel, keep getting busy signal. Frustrating. And yes I told them what they were doing was wrong and I was calling them in.

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer

But they look so yummy with all those spots.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Hmm trying to call in some snaggers fishing over spawning chum in a side channel, keep getting busy signal. Frustrating. And yes I told them what they were doing was wrong and I was calling them in.
Good for you for doing that, I will do that when I see it too.

Conditions were good today but only one chum landed and a----- small sculpin the first I have caught in the Vedder. ;D

Missed the odd fish but it seemed slower today so cleaned up some more garbage and then went float hunting, found 15.

NF lost a chum and them moved to check for a better spot, the rain coming should bring in some more fish.

ynot

• Old Timer

fraser open tomorrow for native and commercial chum fishing.

243Pete

Good day again, lost count of how many chum I landed as they seem to love my Frankenstein jig. I think I need to give my right forearm a rest for a little bit....

Got two bites earlier in the morning drifting roe for coho but totally missed it, saw the flashes of chrome silver just as there was enough light to see them. :o

Nice meeting you Halcyonguitars!  ;)

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry

Ralph, I think you and I should meet sometime for a beer … I’m sure we can agree on at least a few things  ;)

Sorry Dave, I don't drink beer just pure grain alcohol mixed with distilled water for me. ;D

Actually Dave I think I disagree with some small % of what you say - probably much less than 10%.

I have always found that disagreements are a great opportunity for leaning.

Cheers
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry

I donot think Dave wants to see the end of sports fishing but he does not fish any more,not sure why but some anglers give up fishing because of age.

I know he does not agree with a hatchery program on the Chilliwack Vedder, they have stopped the program on some Washington State rivers.http://knkx.org/post/protect-steelhead-state-bans-hatchery-fish-designated-wild-gene-bank

Without a hatchery program on the Chilliwack Vedder I think that would be the end of steelheading as we know it. The program has been very successful thanks to the staff of the Chilliwack River Hatchery,Freshwater Fisheries Society of BC and the volunteer anglers that do the brood capture each year.

I didn't want to imply and I didn't even have a flicker of a thought Dave wanted to see the end of sport fishing.

The link you supplied is dead

CohoJake

• Old Timer

Good day again, lost count of how many chum I landed as they seem to love my Frankenstein jig. I think I need to give my right forearm a rest for a little bit....

Got two bites earlier in the morning drifting roe for coho but totally missed it, saw the flashes of chrome silver just as there was enough light to see them. :o

Nice meeting you Halcyonguitars!  ;)

Can you describe or provide a pic of this Frankenstein jig? I've been looking for some new patterns to try for chum this year.

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer

Hey 243Pete,

Nice meeting you too, and thanks for the jig!

I've never seen so many fish come to shore so steadily in my life, just amazing to see...

Hope to have another chance to get out there again soon.

Side note, as I was leaving, I went to check Bergman road just to see what the water looked like. There was a man there who had a chrome Chinook that made the chums look like that jack coho I landed, simply incredible...