Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Beaching Sturgeon  (Read 1335 times)

dave c

Beaching Sturgeon
« on: September 23, 2013, 10:32:59 PM »

Hi All: I frequently walk my dogs along the Fraser River upstream of the Mission bridge on the north side.  I usually take them to a large sandy beach above Slaughterhouse bar.  I've noticed on several of my last walks Charter boats beaching sturgeon there.  I was just wondering if this is a common practice as this fish is catch and release and I know we all try to release any salmon or steelhead without bringing it to shore.

Sandman

• Old Timer
Re: Beaching Sturgeon
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2013, 12:28:07 AM »

Hi All: I frequently walk my dogs along the Fraser River upstream of the Mission bridge on the north side.  I usually take them to a large sandy beach above Slaughterhouse bar.  I've noticed on several of my last walks Charter boats beaching sturgeon there.  I was just wondering if this is a common practice as this fish is catch and release and I know we all try to release any salmon or steelhead without bringing it to shore.

Are they actually "bringing it to shore" as in dragging it on shore, or are they landed their boat so they can stand, usually waist deep, to take pictures and revive it?  I have seen this numerous times myself, and while I do not think it is necessary, after the Client pays hundreds of dollars to land a Dino, they likely want that hero shot, something not always possible with a 5 foot + sturgeon.  You can't exactly lift it up for a photo while still on the boat, not without risking serious injury to its internal organs.  By bringing it to shore, they can get the shot while never taking the fish out of the water.
Not all those who wander are lost

dave c

Re: Beaching Sturgeon
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2013, 01:02:37 AM »

Lets put it this way.  The upper half of the fish is above the water line and as it is a sandy bar, with all the thrashing going on alot of silt is stirred up, which can't be good for their gills even though they are bottom feeders. Watched two old guystry to get their hero shot with the guide, however the fish was on its back and they tried on four separate occasions to get it flipped over only to have its tail send the old guys in the drink.  It seemed comical and the guys wives were in histerics on the boat, but after about ten minutes of this comedy show the guide brought it out to deeper water and let it go.  The boys did not get their hero shot and the fish which was at least 6ft long must have been stressed.  That is why i'm asking. Other hero shots I witnessed were much quicker, but most of them the upper half of the fish is above the water line.