Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: hydrograph  (Read 1057 times)

thewilliamswall

hydrograph
« on: July 02, 2013, 08:40:01 PM »

The hydrograph allows you to compare water levels from different years. Now, how do you use that info to help catch more fish? I understand that the different water levels will encourage or discourage fish from swimming upstream (freshet, blown out, etc), but how do you find the ideal levels that you want to look for? And what other information would you consider in determining a potentially great day on the river?

For example, If I could only fish 1-2 sundays in July, what would I want to know before I decided to use up one of my days on the 6th vs. the 13,20 or 27???

I have no problem spending some time looking but any tips to send me in the right direction would be appreciated.

DionJL

• Old Timer
Re: hydrograph
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2013, 08:59:22 PM »

I'd say every river is different and trial and error is the best bet. Although if you were hell-bent on figuring it out at a desk rather than on the water, I would look back on old fishing reports through online forum and correlate the days that had good reports with the water level on the hydro graphs. Take notes, then figure out the range of water levels that you can expect good fishing.