Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Shore Fishing from CUBA beaches  (Read 81959 times)

milo

• Old Timer
Re: Shore Fishing from CUBA beaches
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2012, 03:45:14 PM »

Milo, thanks for the interesting posts.  If you have any photos, I would certainly be interested in seeing them.  Thanks.

See below.  ;)

Quote from: Damien
So, back to that.  I will be in Playa Larga on Tuesday around noonish, depending on how long our 'chaufeur' takes to get us there.  Most likely leave Havana at 8am-ish after breakfast.  That leaves will leave me 4-5 (?) hours of light to make an attempt at hooking a bone and/or snorkel around close to the hotel.

In that case, ask your chauffeur to take you on the seaside road towards Playa Giron and show you a good spot where you can fish from shore. If he pleads ignorance, just pick a nice rocky spot and give 'er. There so many to choose from on that stretch of road. Here's one good spot:

Another:

Another:

Playa Giron:

This picture was taken from the car - it is exactly where you should be exporing - half way between Playa Larga and Playa Giron. Great area for both fishing AND snorkeling. The cave of the fishes is nearby, too.

Of course, since my wife is an Ausie, I had to take her to Australia (in Cuba!) :D (you got to keep the girl happy to get some guilt-free fishing time when vacationing together).

She was in heaven on the old plantation:

Of course, I have a ton of other pics and even videos, but uploading and posting them is quite time consuming and I am running out of time, so I hope the above will suffice to give you an idea of the area.

Enjoy your trip.

brownmancheng

« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2012, 05:15:57 PM »

Very cool milo

Now I want to go...

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2012, 05:55:26 PM »

Great stuff Milo.  I will hit that area for sure.  And of course, the cueva de pesces.  I mean if we are going to be snorkelling there anyways, I may as well bring along my three piece pack rod.  How could the wifey say no?  ;D

Back to the cell phone thing.  What do you think a couple Blackberry Bolds  in decent shape would be worth in terms of barter fodder down there?  Would a blackberry be worth a car ride down to Playa Larga from Havana?  More/Less?

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2012, 06:10:49 PM »

Great stuff Milo.  I will hit that area for sure.  And of course, the cueva de pesces.  I mean if we are going to be snorkelling there anyways, I may as well bring along my three piece pack rod.  How could the wifey say no?  ;D

Back to the cell phone thing.  What do you think a couple Blackberry Bolds in decent shape would be worth in terms of barter fodder down there?  Would a blackberry be worth a car ride down to Playa Larga from Havana?  More/Less?

Now that sounds like some excellent planning.
As to the BB Bolds, depending on the model and condition, you could get quite a bit of service for them. Both BBs as a package will sure get you to P.Larga and back to Havana (it's an almost 400 km trip). Only one - not so sure. I suggest you negotiate. You won't offend anyone if you offer one BB and 50 CUCs.

Cheers,

Milo

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2012, 06:42:10 PM »

I guess if he is paid right, he would just overnight down there and drive us back in the morning.

Good stuff.  We have a drawer full of two to three year old Blackberries.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2012, 10:42:39 AM »

I guess if he is paid right, he would just overnight down there and drive us back in the morning.

Good stuff.  We have a drawer full of two to three year old Blackberries.

Hide them well in your luggage - lock the suitcase before departing Canada.

And yes, I am sure the driver will have no problem staying overnight to accommodate you. Especially if you offer him a few extra pesos to pay for his room (which he will gladly take from you and probably sleep in his car anyway!  :D )

Cubans are great people. If you luck out and your driver can speak some decent English, you will be in for an awesome experience. Keep an open mind and a humble attitude and you will be handsomely rewarded with genuine warm hospitality - the kind that builds lasting friendships.

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2012, 11:13:59 AM »

Terrific.  Looking forward to it.  Thanks again for the tips.

We leave in 24 hours, can't wait.  And better news, a couple that we met in Panama a couple years ago from Medicine Hat are jumping on last minute to join us.

The four of us are going to have a blast.

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2012, 12:47:32 PM »

There is a large market near the bay in downtown Havana that is very interesting.

Got some fantastic artwork there a couple of years ago.

bigblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2012, 01:24:17 PM »

Great info Milo!
Is fishing license required to fish in Cuba?

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2012, 01:59:01 PM »

Great info Milo!
Is fishing license required to fish in Cuba?

Not for foreign tourists, as long as it is practiced in the non-restricted areas for recreational purposes only.
Cuban citizens, OTOH, are much more limited as to their fishing choices.

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2012, 08:18:13 PM »

Thanks Easywater.  Pretty sure most of my friends and family are getting Cuban pieces for Christmas this year.

Looks like I have convinced the better half to stay two days down in Playa Largo/Giron.  SWEET!

therise

« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2012, 07:35:41 AM »

After 8 days in paradise, I have returned. We stayed in Cayo Santa Maria, which I would highly reccomend for a family/fishing vacation. I went fishing almost every day first thing in the morning when the family was sleeping. I tried 2 different approaches.

I attemped to book a fishing charter for a half or full day. They offer 2 different styles. Deep Sea and Specialized ( which is fishing the flats). Neither were available for ANY of the days I was staying which was a huge disappointment, but I vowed not to let it get me down.

1. I rented a moped from the resort for 10 pesos and visited a variety of bridges that linked Cayo Santa Maria to the main island of Cuba. I was using rapalas, poppers (Yo-zuri in the white/red combo was deadly for barracuda), and shrimp as bait. Casting from shore and the bridges works well, and I managed to catch several small colorful fish in the 3-5 lb class as well as numerous small barracuda.  I stopped at one bridge and began casting. A construction crew working on the bridge saw me fishing, immediately stopped work, and began to fish beside me with hand line spools, they only went back to work when I told them I had to leave, 3 hours later.
2. The best bang for your buck is right on the resort. Guided trips on the Hobie Cat sail boats were available for tourists to rent for 20 pesos for 4 hours. I asked them if they ever had fished from the boats. Of course, as Milo said earlier, it seems all cubans love to fish and the guides were very excited to do something more exciting than take out intoxicated tourists.
After inspecting my rod and my gear, he ran into the hut where they store there personal belongings, coming out with some of the biggest wooden rapalas I have ever seen. The color combo of red/white (bloody nose) was very predominant. We were off. Almost immediately we were into several smaller barracuda 5-7lb range. We caught them going all speeds from very fast (much faster than I have ever trolled for salmon) to dead slow with the rapala just floating on the surface.
The next day I came back with raw Mahi-Mahi fillets from the chef, as directed by the guide. The guide also brought another fishing rod, and fished as well. We cut it into strips of about 3 inches long, and placed it on the trailing treble hook of the rapala. If the fishing was good yesterday, it was on fire today. We caught several much larger 15-20 lb barracuda, a 15 lb red snapper, and the icing on the cake, a very large Dorado which was lost at the edge of the boat as the guide made his third attempt to pull it into the boat. After shaking the hook, he didn't say a word for an hour. This is not because we missed a photo op, but because he estimated it to be around 40-50 lbs, which is a feast of a high quality eating fish.

All in all, it was an excellent experience.  For me the idea setup would be
- Heavy telescopic rod ( Mako has a great one at Canadian tire for 20 bucks)
- Large heavy duty spinning reel with a large line capacity ( the baits are trolled WAY back behind the boats, and the Dorado and larger barracuda took me to very close to my lines end several times
- 40 lb braided line
- large diving rapalas
- yo-zuri poppers
- steel leaders
- large treble (3/0) hooks and sliding weights  
* the other thing I would bring is a small gaff. The guide told me that many tourists have injured themselves on the teeth of barracuda. As well, if we had the gaff on board, I am sure we would not have lost our Dorado. Sailing a small boat, and pulling a huge fish up at the same time is a difficult task as I have learned, so make it easier. Any fish you catch WILL be consumed by the guide and their families. Although I am sure they would let a fish go upon request, I would reccomend offering them to the guide first.

One last word of advice. Fishing gear and tackle is very hard to come by down there, and even when available,  would be considered a luxury. I left everything fishing related I had down there ( rod, reel, lures, ect). When I gave my rod and reel to the guide as a tip, he almost fainted, and found me the next day to give me several Cohiba cigars as a thank you. If I ever get the opportunity to go back again, I will be visiting garage sales, and asking friends for old rods and reels to give away. Canadian tire sells Red Wolf brand fishing line spools for 3-4 bucks. Buy several of those as well. Fishing line is especially hard to come by.

If you have any questions, I would be happy to answer them

« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 07:44:52 AM by therise »

bluenoser

« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2012, 08:01:45 AM »

Sounds like a fantastic trip...this has been a great thread actually. Not sure if I'll ever make it to Cuba but I bet the advise from this thread could be used for many similar locations.

BN

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2012, 08:02:20 AM »

I am glad you had such a great time. :)
It seems you hit the jackpot with the sail boat and its passionate skipper. Good for you, for trolling is not something your average Cuban citizen can do because they are virtually banned from owning private boats.

norm_2

« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2012, 08:31:27 AM »

Milo, great photos!  Thanks.

Therise, you enthused me with your post and I had to go to tripadvisor.com to look at some of the 300 photos they have under Cayo Santa Maria.  It is beautiful there.

While I have heard of Cuba as a sunny destination, I had not consider visiting but that has changed thanks to the two of you.  Thanks.