Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Native fishermen call for right to shoot nuisance seals  (Read 5403 times)

thor

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
Re: Native fishermen call for right to shoot nuisance seals
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2008, 07:32:19 AM »

"I don't like the idea that our fishermen need to glance over their shoulders each time they must kill a seal," Crey tells me.

I would prefer they just keep there eye on the seal and make sure it is a seal. Not someone fishing on shore. Bonus part is it could fatten up the tribe for the winter. :)
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Funeral Of Hearts

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2008, 10:36:22 AM »

" 'We want to be able to protect wild salmon stocks in the same way so we should be able to get these permits as well,' says Malloway."

Ummm.. protect the stocks, yet still harvest 100,000 plus fish... hrmm..... doesn't sound like protecting the low numbers of salmon to me.... more like protect "thier" fish so no one else, even the seals, get them.

roeman

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2008, 11:22:22 AM »

Nuisance seals.... how about nuisance humans..

Wow, can't believe they would even consider this as an option.  Whats next an opening on white males with a fishing rod in their hand.  Just like the bears in North Van, if there is food, animals will come.  Not that hard to figure out.  How about no set nets, drift only.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2008, 12:29:44 PM by Rodney »
Are you fishin or catchin

clownfish

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2008, 12:25:11 PM »

Just what we need, more guns out on the river. I know from posts over the previous year or so that firearms have been pointed at and, if I recall correctly, discharged in the direction of sportsfishers by natives. Remember the knife assault on a guided tour back in July? I will not be surprised to hear of more firearms incidents by natives against sportsfishers if this is allowed.

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2008, 04:27:59 PM »

Yeah, that's really humane.
Like seals are at fault for dwindling salmon stocks.

kingpin

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2008, 05:20:13 PM »

why does any newspaper even print what comes out of ernie creys mouth? I know I know, the seals are taking money from your pocket. ::)

its not lilke they dont shoot them already anyways, as he said they have to look over there shoulder when they do it... i personally dont like the idea of having every indian boat with a gun handy.... afterall, there have already been many incidents this year between indians and guides and knives being wielded... you add a gun to that and all it takes is one little slip and someone is dead. I guess any competition for the salmon angers mr. crey.  ::)
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2008, 05:54:32 PM »

If they can keep their guns fixed on the seals that won't be a bad idea, but who knows if they can always do that.  ;D I don't know if sporties or even DFO like that. Those guns can accidentally discharge towards the sporties or the COs.  ;)

During the soc opening, my friend landed 4 socs one day and 3 of them had bad seal bite. He could only keep the clean one and one with a new wound. That is quite a high % of fish injured by those hungry seals, not to say those being eaten.

kingpin

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2008, 06:54:25 PM »

if they want a seal cull and it is approved, it should be handled by conservation officers and other trained people... not a bunch of yahoos with guns that may or may not be drunk.
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

fish4fun

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2008, 09:14:00 PM »

I agree that a cull should only be done by those who have the know how. One of the cardinal rules of firearms handling is to never discharge one over water as the bullet will skip and go who knows where if you miss. Hopefully the shots I hear all the time on the river are from shotguns that don't travel as far but do we really want to open it up and and hope the natives will shoot responsibly. No thanks. <><

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2008, 10:34:45 PM »

It would be nice if they had a Pub on the Fraser with a open deck where you could shoot seals from. :) I guess not in my lifetime. But hey if there was one..... sweet. 8)
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

rangersmitty

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2008, 12:23:43 PM »

let the indians cull them,give them an opening, BUT NO GUNS!!!!! harpoon would be a nice wep of choice.the seal population has ballooned after they were protected.Someone needs to control the numbers or what , watch where u step in our parks.Seals crap bigger then geese.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2008, 01:36:38 PM »

let the indians cull them,give them an opening, BUT NO GUNS!!!!! harpoon would be a nice wep of choice.the seal population has ballooned after they were protected.Someone needs to control the numbers or what , watch where u step in our parks.Seals crap bigger then geese.

I think I would rather be shot with a gun, quicker death   :'(  Then again shooting them with guns would be bad too because then the seals sink after being shot and we will have dead ones washing up everywhere. Harpoons will keep them on top of the water until they are retreived. I agree with the seal population balloning, here are some pics from Washignton when I went ocean fishing on our holidays in July :

Has any one ever seen seals do this?

blueline

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2008, 01:44:40 PM »

I think that authorized people like from DFO should do any shooting of seals
we can't have everone or anyone in on it
might result in other problems - like fishermen catching a bullet
or
other people who want to save the seals - which would escalate conflicts and not reduce confilicts

salmon river

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2008, 03:43:56 PM »

What!!!

The seals were here first, humans stole their land and sea!  ;)