Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: directions to Elaho river?  (Read 5489 times)

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
directions to Elaho river?
« on: June 20, 2005, 09:46:11 AM »

Hi

Can anyone give me directions to the Elaho River - I'm a nob at trying to find places and got lost with trying to locate the Elaho last year...is it hard to find?

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
Re: directions to Elaho river?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2005, 10:55:14 AM »

Go up the Squamish Main, and then turn left at the E-main bridge (which comes after the A-Main bridge) (A for Ashlu) (E for Elaho)

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2005, 11:10:06 AM »

thanks...is there camping allowed up there?

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2005, 11:15:37 AM »

There are some spots, that are off the road a bit, where you could probably pitch a tent.   To my recollection the Elaho is still being actively logged, which which means that you'll have logging trucks rumbling up and down from 3:00am onwards on weekdays.  Best to follow an empty one up, and then pull over when he does, since there'll be a fully loaded truck coming down  :o   There are many spur roads, which for the large part lead off to nothing, but if they are deactivated, you can often find a nice spot to camp next to a stream along them (there won't be any fish in that stream though, since they're all on pretty steep hillsides.

Piscatoral Pete

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2005, 05:42:28 PM »

It's  quite a long haul up there.  I think the bridge is at about the 43km marker.  Turn left, go across the bridge.....just after the bridge there is a small road leading down toward the river.....check the road before going down to make sure the vhicle you are driving will make it back up.  There are a few nice spots to drop a tent down there.  The first summer that I moved to BC we camped at the end of that road (about 200 yards down) right beside the slow moving side channel.  the side channel is a good spot to toss some spinners for doliies, cutts, and bows.  I have caught all 3 species in one weekend there, as well as hooking into 2 BIG coho in November while targetting trout.  A tonne of fun that was on spinning gear.

I have been told that the Ashlu and Elaho Valleys have the closest Grizzly Bear population to Vancouver.....so be careful.  I have never seen one, but have seen some prints in the mud of Squamish River backchannels that would be way to big for a black bear.

Cheers.....

Peter