Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Where are all the Garter snakes?  (Read 5499 times)

Dave

• Old Timer
Where are all the Garter snakes?
« on: August 06, 2017, 03:24:12 PM »

Has anyone else noticed a fewer number of Garter snakes this year?  My wife and I spend our summers on the lower Vedder R and daily walk or cycle up to 8 km a day along dykes, wetlands … snake country.  Last summer is was common to see 6-10 every day, and that was not looking for them.  This year is the complete opposite with very few seen in areas thick with them last year.  The few we have seen were small and several were lethargic and had some white spots on them.  Not sure if this low population could be attributed to our colder and longer than normal winter, some disease issue, or simply another species showing population fluctuations.  Is this phenomenon happening other places or is this just in my small area?
Don't get me wrong, I'm happy about this as I hate snakes ;D

fishmonk

• Fish on baby!
Re: Where are all the Garter snakes?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2017, 04:53:45 PM »

I was thinking the same thing as I have not seen many in tricities area myself. I usually see many of them when I go out fishing on the trails and such. kinda weird...

Barbelface

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2017, 08:18:08 PM »

Funny, I've seen more than in previous years. I fished the north Allouette a week ago and came across about a dozen sunning themselves on the embankment.
I even had one poke it's head through my deck a few weeks ago.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2017, 08:54:47 PM »

Interesting.  Hope more people will comment on this.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2017, 07:03:20 AM »

Not liking the heat.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2017, 07:19:59 AM »

Not liking the heat.
Yeah, I considered that but it was cooler earlier in the year and we still didn't see many.  I have posted this on FlyBC as well and people are responding much the same as here, that is, some areas appear to have fewer snakes while other areas seem normal.
Garter snakes are communal denners, over wintering in masses ... I suppose it is possible they didn't go deep enough to avoid the cold weather but I am leaning towards the snakes in the area I speak of contracting some disease.  The evidence of this was shown on the two I saw with white spots over their bodies.
What is certain is there are fewer this year than last.

bobby b

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2017, 10:18:59 AM »

Was fishing the Ranger run a few weeks back. Standing in about 2 ft of water at the the top rocky section of the run and felt something bump into my leg....looked down and lo and behold a Garter snake! It briefly curled around my leg for moment then floated on down the river. I wont lie .... startled me ... almost lost my balance. I never expect to run into a snake while in the river!!

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2017, 02:34:00 PM »

I've seen very few Dave. I think you and I even talked about this when I picked up the rods from you.

Been all over the island and out and about around the mainland a lot and I've only seen 3 that I can recall. Haven't seen any with white spots yet, but then again I haven't really paid super close attention to them.

Re the garter snake in water: they actually love water and swim quite well. I believe they described a new sub species last year on the island that lives on beaches and spends 80% of its time in the water hunting. They are aggressive as well - they'll gladly strike at people who get too close.

pwn50m3 f15h3r

• What a great fish...
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2017, 05:11:50 PM »

Last month I was fishing in an interior lake on a float tube, I saw 1 in the lily pads when I was taking a leak. Good thing it kept its distance :o
Someone was here

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2017, 05:18:21 PM »

Increase in predator populations maybe?
Doesn't explain the white spots though.

TimL

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2017, 09:59:22 PM »

I've seen a few this year for sure along the sloughs in the PoCo area..may be the heat that's driving them into hiding?

armytruck

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2017, 11:59:34 AM »

Increase in predator populations maybe?
Doesn't explain the white spots though.
Yes , Squirrels love them !
"Everyone ought to believe in something;  I believe I'll go fishing."

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2017, 02:16:35 PM »

Yes , Squirrels love them !
And I dislike squirrels, 11 so far this year are no longer eating at our bird feeder or eating the snakes in our yard that help keep the bugs under control.

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2017, 02:45:40 PM »

Squirrels eat snakes, for real?

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2017, 03:22:49 PM »

I was not aware of that either...

People forget many of the squirrels they see are the invasive Eastern Grey Squirrel. It's rare to see a native red squirrel.

The grey squirrel is just a rat with good PR.

I didn't know this: Under “Schedule C” of the Wildlife Act, homeowners in BC are permitted to live trap and humanely euthanise or shoot the Eastern grey squirrel. http://bcinvasives.ca/invasive-species/identify/invasive-plants/the-eastern-grey-squirrel