Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Trailer wheel bearing cleaning...DYI???  (Read 5495 times)

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
Trailer wheel bearing cleaning...DYI???
« on: July 02, 2014, 12:07:18 PM »

So I have no idea when the bearings on my boat trailer were last cleaned/serviced, or what condition they are in etc. We bought the boat/trailer around this time last year and mostly just tow it on short trips locally; however, on occasion we take it with us to the Bridge Lake area so the trailer is doing 100km/h or so on the highway for several hours. Before our next road trip I would like to get the bearings done by either myself (preferably) or a shop.

I have never done this before, but have watched some Utube vids and it looks prety easy. I'd have to go buy the solvent + grease but I doubt the cost is much, certainly less than paying a shop to do the job.

Does anyone haev any tips on this? For example, how often it should be done, etc. I notice in some vids the guy takes the wheel off, and on other they don't bother.

If I end up bringing it to a shop, where would you guys reccomdnf taking it? I live in Chilliwack. Any idea how much a job like this goes for?

Oh and I noticed on another recent thread someone commented that one should carry extra wheel bearings with them. Seems like a good idea. How do I tell which ones my trailer has? Just bring one into a parts store when I'm cleaning it?

And what the heck is a bearing buddy???

I am reasonably mechanically inclined. I figure if I can take apart complicated firearms, clean them, and put them back together I can surely handle cleaning a damn wheel bearing! :o

PS: if anyone on reaing this is in chilliwack and experienced at doing this, and would be willing to walk me though it the first time, I'd be willing to offer up a case of beer for your troubles.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 12:09:06 PM by Spawn Sack »

Easywater

• Old Timer
Re: Trailer wheel bearing cleaning...DYI???
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2014, 12:17:55 PM »

I replaced a blown bearing many years ago - had to limp home stopping every 20 blocks or so to cool the wheels.

Repacked the bearings on the new trailer a couple of years ago - very easy.
(Although I put one of the hubs back in backwards and drove for a few kms before I spotted the problem).

- You need to undo the big nut on the end of the axle and pull out the outer bearing
(there is an inner and outer bearing)
- Pull the hub off and the inner bearing is kind of pressed into the hub (by the seal)
- There is a seal on the inner bearing that holds it in
- clean the bearings with solvent
- If everything looks ok, you are good to put the bearings back in
- I would replace the inner seal no matter what - probably mangle it getting it out
- repack the bearings - tons of Youtube videos on how to do it (grease in palm of hand, etc)
- there should be a torque setting for the big nut when you put it back in
- if you don't have a torque wrench, I believe there is a rule of thumb to tighten it then back off 1/4 turn

There is a number on the bearing if you need to replace it

"Bearing Buddies" are metal enlongated caps that fit on the end of your hub.
You shoot a bunch of grease into the Bearing Buddy which is spring-loaded and it feeds grease into the outer bearing as necessary.

If I think of anything else, I'll add it later.

« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 12:21:01 PM by Easywater »

TheFishingLad

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2014, 12:58:41 PM »

The best thing you can do is to just get into it. I would remove all you can for the first go, and if you get stuck, take some pis, or watch YouTube and try to sort it from there. If you're competent you should be able to stumble through it regardless

leapin' tyee

• can't get enough
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2014, 06:02:54 PM »

I am reasonably mechanically inclined. I figure if I can take apart complicated firearms, clean them, and put them back together I can surely handle cleaning a damn wheel bearing! :o

Cleaning and repacking wheel bearings is easy but is a lot more dirtier than cleaning firearms...

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2014, 07:18:08 PM »

Thanks guys, esp Easywater.

What you say makes sense and seems to coincide with what I remember from the Utube vids.

Should I take the wheel off, or is it okay to leave on?

How do you get that inner seal out to replace it?

If I don't have the time/motivation to do it before our next road trip, anyone know about what a shop would charge? And where a good place to take it would be? Kaltire? Or where I normally get our vehicles serviced (not Kaltire). I live in Chilliwack.

armytruck

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2014, 09:10:22 PM »

You should buy a bag of rags to , grease is a messy so don't be caught with a mit full of goo and no rags  ;) . I did my trailer bearings a week ago , cost me 65 bucks for seals and a couple packs of bearings for both sides . Princess auto . I had never done them since I bought the trailer new 10 years ago . The only reason I decided to do them was my seals were leaking and making a mess of grease on the rims . You Tube will be your best friend for this project . It is easy but not that easy if you have never done it . Oh , and I don't carry spare bearings in my truck , ever ! . why would I . I guess if I overloaded my trailer all the time then I guess I would have to ..
"Everyone ought to believe in something;  I believe I'll go fishing."

leapin' tyee

• can't get enough
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2014, 09:37:51 PM »

, anyone know about what a shop would charge? And where a good place to take it would be? Kaltire? Or where I normally get our vehicles serviced (not Kaltire). I live in Chilliwack.

Any shop will do clean and repack bearings for approx 1-2 hrs max for both side plus parts or misc.

arimaBOATER

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2014, 08:43:34 AM »

TheTrailerMan.ca  ( website ) in Abbotsford not too far away from you.

Click on their "How to". ( top of page )

They state in the info a boat trailer should have a yearly repack done & they explain why.

« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 05:07:01 PM by A-BOATER »

RainbowMan

• We need longer weekends...when fishing is good
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2014, 11:30:13 AM »

This might be a bit off topic but anyone knows how I can turn my EZ Loader trailer into a swing tongue? Is this something that can be done DIY or if it's a shop work how much is it going to cost me?

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2014, 09:08:56 PM »

Should I take the wheel off, or is it okay to leave on?

How do you get that inner seal out to replace it?
I would take the wheel off - makes the whole rig lighter when you are putting it back together.
You kind of have to balance the hub when you put the outer bearing back in.

Since you should replace the inner seal, you can just pry it out with a big flat blade screwdriver.
Here's a pic of a car rotor - same idea.
Inner bearing packed with grease dropped into place with the new seal about to go in:

The same website has some good pointers/pics on how to grease the bearing, put the seal in and finish up the hub.
http://www.bracketracer.com/nova/cppfdb/disc.htm